San Francisco to Tierra Del Fuego leaving Nov 2010 (Nissan Xterra)

coydogsf

Adventurer
Hey All,

My fiance (wife by then) and I are planning to leave in early November to drive south from San Francisco towards Tierra del Fuego in a 2004 Nissan Xterra we've been outfitting for the trip. I believe it was in the venerable Vehicle Dependent Expedition Guide that I saw it written that to do a trip like this, it's best if you're the kind of person who enjoys the year of preparation as much as you'll enjoy the year of travel. Let's face it, I'm a geek and love making lists finding the best tool for this and that and overthinking everything until I tire myself out and go with a nice, simple solution. Ann's got an interest in everything and a hunger to explore the world. She's also up for anything including riding on the back of a big adventure motorcycle on 13,000 ft rocky Colorado passes (no, that's not her in the picture on the first post, smart ***). Anyway, we've been been having a good time documenting our preparation and a couple "shakedown trips" on our web site at http://adventuresofdaveandann.com/ or ADVODNA.

As our departure date approaches, we're starting to look south and the route we might take. We're thinking we'll try to plan about a month in advance. "Plan's" the wrong word for Mexico and Central America, perhaps. Let's say "target a region." And right now, we're taking a good look at how to experience Mexico safely. The current thought is to bypass Copper Canyon (sadly) and follow the main RV route along the west coast of the mainland (not Baja) using the Church and Church Mexico Camping book. Our feeling is that if we emply common sense (vigilence, no night driving, and "sorry, no fumar espanol" when asked for bribes), we won't have any problems.

So with that, any last minute advice? Anyone else heading out around the same time we should be on the lookout for? Places that shouldn't be missed along the way? Volunteer projects that could use some attention or hard labor?

Thanks and happy travels.

Dave and Ann

coydogsf

Adventurer
Sounds like a cool trip.

Do they sell XTerras down there in case you need to get parts and/or service?

I thought I read somewhere that they are actually assembled in Mexico?! Anyway, my research seemed to show that both Toyotas and Nissans are quite popular south of the border and that getting parts (if needed) shouldn't be too hard. I know we saw LOTS of Xterras with Mexico plates on a recent trip to Baja.

Thanks for the response.

Dave

haven

Expedition Leader
The XTerra is a North American model. The 2004 XTerra is based on the Frontier pickup of the same year. That pickup was sold in most countries in Central and South America. The local Nissan distributor won't stock parts used exclusively on a model sold in USA, but the Frontier and XTerra have many parts in common.

The Nissan corporate web site says the company's vehicles are sold in the following countries in the Western Hemisphere

North America -- Canada, Mexico USA

Central America -- El Salvador, Guatemala, Costa Rica, Honduras, Nicaragua, Panama

South America -- Argentina, Brasil (Nissan factory located here), Bolivia, Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, Paraguay, Peru, Venezuela

roninjiro

Explorer
definitely keep this thread or your website updated. I want to see how your vehicle choice holds up (my vehicle of choice also). What is the general cost you have forecasted for your travels?

coydogsf

Adventurer
definitely keep this thread or your website updated. I want to see how your vehicle choice holds up (my vehicle of choice also). What is the general cost you have forecasted for your travels?

I will definitely keep the ExPo up to date and report on the Xterra. I really feel like it's going to be a great truck for the trip. Capable when we need it, well sized and comfortable for day to day, and reliable. Time will tell. We've all seen stories of $50k trucks failing, $500 beaters making it, and the breakdowns opening doors to new people and oportunities!

[Also just posted in the logistics section on the web site since it's a good question]

The goal is to take this trip AND maintain our life at home for about the same amount as being at home would cost. That means we rent the house to cover the mortgage and the money we would have spent on things like satellite TV, electric and other utilities, car/motorcycle insurance, etc goes towards our life on the road. Food evens out since you gotta eat wherever you are. Cost of the vehicle and equipment are things we would have spent anyway on a second car and camping equipment. Shipping, border and increased gas costs are balanced by the generally lower cost of living and decreased random day-to-day spending on anything from lattes at Starbucks to that 1949 Martin D-18 I seem to think I can’t live without.

In reality, this goal may or may not be realistic but the approach we’ll take is to save money when we can by shopping around, camping and doing work programs so that we can splurge on occasion with a nice hotel or more costly adventure (or bribe to get through the Honduras border in less than nine hours – sorry, Luis)

Yeah, yeah, I know you want numbers. Nicolas Rapp, Transworld Expedition, estimated his one year trip around the world would cost about $50K and after 9 months or so, he’s just about on target. Interestingly, this comes to $1 a mile. Depending on where you look (and the season and which bridges are out etc), the PanAmerican Highway from San Francisco to Tierra de Fuego is probably about 10,000-15,000 miles. My guess is that it’ll cost us more like $2 a mile for a total on the road cost of $30K for 6-9 months.

This is good, I'm realizing some things I want to solidify before our seminar on "Getting Gone" at the Overland Rally in Hollister this weekend!

Dave

TheStig

Observer
Looks like the trip of a lifetime! Keep us posted and be careful.

Nice choice on the Xterra. I really like those 1st gens.
Sent from my MB200 using Tapatalk

coydogsf

Adventurer
Looks like they just got married! Update please...

You're such a romantic, Christian! :xxrotflma

Yes, it's true, we got married a couple weeks ago in Tahoe and that would have to be considered part of the adventure. We're feeling more ready than ever for 6 months+ on the road together.

_DSC6153.jpg

_DSC6049.jpg

D%26A%20wedding-92.jpg

Okay, those are some of the outtakes. A mini album on the blog. Great event along the Truckee River with all of our family and friends, great weather, food and music. Pretty much the perfect send off except for all the (well-meaning but generally uninformed) warnings about travelling in Mexico and beyond.

Last week, we got really excited to be on the road after a drinks and dinner with James and Lauren, another couple from San Francisco, who contacted us through the ExPo and are planning a PanAm trip in 6 months or so. We ran them through all our prep and swapped favorite blogs and ExPo posts. A good time and fun to meet other members of the community. We're hoping to meet lots more along the way.

Dave

coydogsf

Adventurer
BTW, Most recent departure date is 11/10/2010 with plans to drive up through Tahoe, down the East Side for a hot springs stop near Bishop, maybe a night in Joshua Tree and one just north of the border in Arizona. Cross at Nogales or Lukeville-Sonoyta and drive south towards Bahia Kino and San Carlos.

At Los Mochis we'll decide whether to drive up into the Copper Canyon or play it a little safer and take two or three days on the train to Creel and back. Might be nice to let someone else do some driving by then. Anyone hear anything current on safety in Copper Cayon?

After Copper Canyon, we'll head towards San Pancho and Sayulita just north of Puetro Vallarta where we'll meet a couple groups of expat friends hopefully in time for Thanksgiving. By then, we'll be halfway down Mexico but will slow down for longer visits to places like Guanajuato, San Miguel de Allende, Teotihuacan, and Mexico City!

Dave

D

Deleted member 9101

You're such a romantic, Christian! :xxrotflma

Yes, it's true, we got married a couple weeks ago in Tahoe and that would have to be considered part of the adventure. We're feeling more ready than ever for 6 months+ on the road together.

_DSC6153.jpg

_DSC6049.jpg

D%26A%20wedding-92.jpg

Okay, those are some of the outtakes. A mini album on the blog. Great event along the Truckee River with all of our family and friends, great weather, food and music. Pretty much the perfect send off except for all the (well-meaning but generally uninformed) warnings about travelling in Mexico and beyond.

Last week, we got really excited to be on the road after a drinks and dinner with James and Lauren, another couple from San Francisco, who contacted us through the ExPo and are planning a PanAm trip in 6 months or so. We ran them through all our prep and swapped favorite blogs and ExPo posts. A good time and fun to meet other members of the community. We're hoping to meet lots more along the way.

Dave

now thats my kind of wedding pics!!!!

Vizoo

Adventurer
leave in early November to drive south from San Francisco towards Tierra del Fuego

I will do that route too, but will go north to AK first and my trip will begin in June, see the maps with my route in my expedition page, link is here.

I'm a geek and love making lists finding the best tool for this and that and overthinking everything until I tire myself out and go with a nice, simple solution.

So you like lists and spent some time trying to figure which is the best brand and why... Welcome to the family!!! :) Check my page about the options I am still considering, link is here. All comments are welcome.

Liked your blog, specially the "It’s a dangerous world out there…" A few week ago there was a shooting between the police and over a dozen drug dealers from the favela close to my apt, and right in the entrance of my condo, it lasted over 5 minutes of machine guns and even two granades!!! Talk about dangers...

and "sorry, no fumar espanol" when asked for bribes), we won't have any problems.

I would honestly not recomend that approach, there are many places down the equator where bribes are becoming "part of the culture" and even a form of "social distribution" :) as most of the gov. staff working at customs and police are so underpaid that this "extra income" really benefits the officers and his family. It is not that I aprove it, I just admit that is the best of evil, I much rather give a guy 20 bucks and "help" keep him straight then see him being adopted by the druglords. You must also never bribe like you are paying the guy, smille and act like he is a new friend that is helping you and you are just paying him a beer.

Places that shouldn't be missed along the way?

What are your plans after arriving in Terra del Fuego?

Vizoo

Adventurer
A bit out of topic...

Just seen the trip to France in your blog, the map there is of the route you've made?

I've been flying my paraglider around that area too, if you care to see my routes for a future reference, the link is here.

coydogsf

Adventurer
Just seen the trip to France in your blog, the map there is of the route you've made?

I've been flying my paraglider around that area too, if you care to see my routes for a future reference, the link is here.

Our route from Nice to Aix to the Pyrenees and back via parts of the Route des Grande Alpes is here. Got some great advice from ADV and had a great trip but don't know how soon we'll be back in the area.

Thanks for your thoughts on the trip and the bribe situation. We'll keep an open mind, try to think on our feet, and take each "interaction" as it comes.

If we make it to Tierra del Fuego, we'll head up the east coast to Buenos Aires. From there, we'll likely look into options for shipping home, selling to a gringo who wants to drive north, or possibly the "gray" market. Originally we thought we might ship to Cape Town but our latest thinking is that that might be a little more than we want to bite off on this trip.

Dave

Last edited:

Vizoo

Adventurer
If we make it to Tierra del Fuego, we'll head up the east coast to Buenos Aires. From there, we'll likely look into options for shipping home, selling to a gringo who wants to drive north, or possibly the "gray" market.

Consider this: Option 1 - Keep going into Brazil until Florianópolis, my brother lives there and one of his best buddies owns a car business, he may help you "get rid of it", maybe even my brother can buy it to use inside his farm.
Option 2 - Extend your adventure up to Rio de Janeiro and you can keep your rig at my warehouse for free and come beck later to do another trip to the northeast and west part of Brazil.

> Originally we thought we might ship to Cape Town but our latest thinking is that that might be a little more than we want to bite off on this trip.

I have plans to do south africa or middle east and india, but leaving from Italy, I would buy a car there to do it and sell it at the end.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle