once again, rumors of new Jeep pickup

alosix

Expedition Leader
Pondering this top idea that's been posted.

I don't have a whole lot of use for a JK rubi right now. BUT...

Give me a 2 door LWB (like the J8 one) with a modular top that could be run either in a pickup configuration or a SUV configuration.

Make it 1 ton (J8)

Give it an engine that gets decent mileage. It needs to be considerably better than an F150.

and then.. then I'll have another Jeep.

Honestly.. I think there is a market (at least in the bay area) for smaller 1 ton pickups. The old Yota's seem to be a contractor favorite around here, as well as the few factory hi cap rangers that were produced. The rest still use mini trucks but they are so dangerously overloaded its not funny.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
129_0808_12_z+concept_4x4_trucks_moab+jeep_jt_jump.jpg

Something like this......

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
This is a quote from Dave at AEV after the 2000 mile road trip for Automotive magazine...

The diesel is awesome. We averaged 22.5 mpg over the entire trip. Best tank was from Walla Walla to Missoula, where we did about 55-60 and got 27.4 mpg. Worst was from Sacramento to Bridgeport via Bodie and into NV on dirt, where we got 19.5.

That sounds GREAT to me. This was in the green 4-door J8 diesel.

Sadly, in order to get the 2.8 CRD in the states we would have to run a particulate filter which would bring down mileage slightly I think. The DPF system also doesn't play well with high percentages of Biodiesel. Its funny that just when America starts to develop a strong interest in alternative fuels....all new diesel vehicles have to get an emissions package that basically prevents its use.

Personally. I am HIGHLY considering an AEV J8 3-Door with the 'dirty' diesel while the getting is good :)

alosix

Expedition Leader
This is a quote from Dave at AEV after the 2000 mile road trip for Automotive magazine...

The diesel is awesome. We averaged 22.5 mpg over the entire trip. Best tank was from Walla Walla to Missoula, where we did about 55-60 and got 27.4 mpg. Worst was from Sacramento to Bridgeport via Bodie and into NV on dirt, where we got 19.5.

That sounds GREAT to me. This was in the green 4-door J8 diesel.

Sadly, in order to get the 2.8 CRD in the states we would have to run a particulate filter which would bring down mileage slightly I think. The DPF system also doesn't play well with high percentages of Biodiesel. Its funny that just when America starts to develop a strong interest in alternative fuels....all new diesel vehicles have to get an emissions package that basically prevents its use.

Personally. I am HIGHLY considering an AEV J8 3-Door with the 'dirty' diesel while the getting is good :)

Yeah really.. I just need to figure out where to move before I order one :)..

I just can't convince myself to spent the $$ to tag a $50k jeep in CA given that the tags are a percentage of vehicle value. not to mention the 9.25% they'll take when I tag it.

I could buy a lot of gas with just the difference from the taxes on it in CA.

Jason

winkosmosis

Explorer
I fully believe that if Jeep would come up with a utility line of the Wrangler, it would have a lucrative niche.

That used to be the XJ. Local and federal government agencies used to buy the XJ for fleet vehicles. County of Maui has a bunch of them parked outside. We also have TJs and JKs but I don't think that's typical for governments unless they need to drive on trails. They usually go for Ford Escapes nowadays.

jingram

Adventurer
There is a HUGE difference on how LandRover positions and markets the Defender in the rest of the world and what LandRover NA did with the Defender back in the 90 ies. In Europe (and most of the world), the Defenders are our F150 and F250 equivalent, utilitarian workhorses used by farmers, contractors, forestry service, park rangers, loggers, utility companies, law enforcement, horse owners and yes, off-roaders and expedition travelers. Pricing for a new Defender starts somewhere around 30 grand, again very comparable to the F150 and F250. That's why they are successful over there.

Here in the US, LandRover NA wanted to place the Defender as a fashion statement for the rich and famous.

I fully believe that if Jeep would come up with a utility line of the Wrangler, it would have a lucrative niche.

Glad somebody "gets" it. It always pisses me off when people look at what LR did in the NA market as some kind of hallmark of the success of the brand... had they done it properly and marketed appropriately, LR would have sold more defenders than they could have counted. Perhaps they assumed they couldn't meet demand and marketed accordingly?

Juntura

Observer
I think Jeep should go ahead with a small pickup type platform. I keep hearing that the US market wants full size trucks. I know I don't, but I also don't want damn near full sized mid sized trucks (new Tacoma, Dakota), nor do I want tired old designs that keep getting fancy new interiors (Ranger), or new models with more car like rides and low entry heights (Colorado).

I have been looking for a small hunting/expedition/run around/mountain bike hauling rig for a while and haven't found anything from the airbag era. The old Toyota's fit the bill and so do some of the old Rangers, but not much else. Heck, I was even excited about the H3T for awhile.

I know we will never see a 70 series truck, or anything that utilitarian, but something like these J8 halfies would fit the bill just right. In the back corners of my mind I actually think this may happen- why else would AEV not be teasing us with a cool concept rig like they did with the Brute four years before delivery. Fingers crossed.

winkosmosis

Explorer
Hmmmmmmm.... Fiat might want to sell the J8 in Europe to civilians as a utility vehicle, where trucks still ARE utility vehicles.

haven

Expedition Leader
Jeep CEO Mike Manley must really be thinking about a pickup based on the Jeep platform. At a meeting with dealers yesterday, Manley presented a pickup concept with front end that looked like a Jeep. While Manley made no announcement about production, this is a good sign that Jeep continues to lean in this direction.

No image was immediately available, but I bet somebody caught the new concept with a cell phone camera.

haven

Expedition Leader
This morning, Pickuptrucks.com and FourWheeler.com are reporting that the Jeep pickup concept has been approved for production in the third quarter of 2011, and will be sold as a 2012 model.

FourWheeler.com has a good description of the model shown to dealers two days ago:

"Identical to the Wrangler from the B-pillar forward, the teaser had a small quarter window behind the front door and there will be some storage behind the front seats.

Unlike the J8/Sarge this pickup had a true bed with a gap between it and the cab.

The Unlimited-based pickup is said to retain the JK's link-coil suspension.

In order to maintain pickup proportions and keep a useable bed length, the JK pickup did have an extended rear overhang and like the Gladiator, this concept had the spare tire mounted to the side of the bed."

http://blogs.fourwheeler.com/671183...wrangler-pickup-concept-to-dealers/index.html

This sounds a lot like the 2005 concept, the Jeep Gladiator

gladiator2005.jpg

Given Chrysler's lack of resources right now, I expect the pickup will use the same engine and transmission as the 2012 Wrangler. That would include the new 3.6L V6, which produces a lot more HP and torque than the current 3.7L V6.

dp7197

Adventurer
It's funny how we were all so patiently waiting to see what the 2007 JKs would look like and Jeep showed us the front end long in advance........

Desert Dan

Explorer
Put it on a Power Wagon chasis and call it a Gladiator you are done!

Make a 2-door extra cab and a 4 -door like the regular Power Wagon.

Continue making a JK/J8 pickup as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater