once again, rumors of new Jeep pickup

haven

Expedition Leader
http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2010/06/is-jeep-looking-to-reenter-the-pickup-truck-market.html

Pickuptrucks.com is reporting new rumors that Jeep is considering
a compact pickup truck based on the Wrangler. Mike Manley, the
president of Jeep said as much during interviews with the press at
the introduction of the new Grand Cherokee.

The one wrinkle is that Manley said the prospects for a small truck
were better in international markets than in USA, where full size
pickups get most of the sales.

Even though a pickup has not started production here, Jeep has produced
a steady stream of concept vehicles. According to the Pickuptrucks.com
article, the show vehicles include

2003 -- Jeep Scrambler
(anyone have a photo?)

2005 -- Jeep Gladiator
Jeep-gladiator.jpg

2007 -- Jeep JT
Jeep-JT.jpg

2008 -- Jeep J8 (this one went into production in a plant in Egypt)
Jeep-J8.jpg

2009 -- Jeep J8 Milspec by AEV
Jeep-J8-AEV.jpg

2010 -- Jeep Nukizer 715
Jeep-Nukizer.jpg

C'mon, Jeep, quit teasing us!

406to417

Explorer
I wish they would already!How many more concept trucks are they going to come out with.Im still saving money to some day buy a Brute,i cant believe an aftermarket company makes a vehicle better looking then the factory concepts(Other then maybe the Gladiator).

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
The one wrinkle is that Manley said the prospects for a small truck were better in international markets than in USA, where full size
pickups get most of the sales.

Thats kind of stupid because everybody who looks at the Brute or at that military prototype thing someone made thinks it is the coolest thing they've ever seen. They just need to do it already and after a year or two of production it will be one of the best decisions ever made. It won't be a top seller the first day it hits the market, no car ever was. They need to bring back the diesel too.

I think it would be cool if they made a small car kind of like a Subaru Impreza. The jeep Compass was kind of a flop like most "cross over SUVs" but if they made a small all wheel drive car it would probably do well. And if they did that with a turbo diesel engine it would be a pretty good competitor on the WRC too.

tommudd

Explorer
"Rumor" also has it that the J8s will be built here in Toledo in the near future, instead of Egypt ( or maybe both places)

winkosmosis

Explorer
The reason full size trucks dominate sales is the tradeoffs are worth it. Yes they're harder to maneuver but they also get about the same gas mileage as small trucks, plus all the normal benefits.

A small Jeep diesel pickup would have significant advantages over an F-150. The biggest one might be the JEEP badge. Believe it or not, Jeeps are COOL as hell, and that's in spite of, not because of decades of focus group type marketing.

Last edited:

haven

Expedition Leader
It doesn't make sense for Jeep to sell the pickup by stealing customers away from the Wrangler. So the new pickup would have to be at least a little different than a Wrangler with a two seat cab and a short bed. Maybe a longer frame, leaf springs in the rear (like the J8), a higher rating for cargo capacity, and a V8 engine (diesel not likely).

elcoyote

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0004
I would love to get my hands on a new Jeep pick-up if they were to put one into production. Cool solutions for habitat systems are but a heartbeat away here at AT. :coffeedrink:

DrMoab

Explorer
I think it would be cool if they made a small car kind of like a Subaru Impreza. The jeep Compass was kind of a flop like most "cross over SUVs" but if they made a small all wheel drive car it would probably do well. And if they did that with a turbo diesel engine it would be a pretty good competitor on the WRC too.

Honestly why does Jeep need a small car? Chrysler has Dodge to take care of that.

I think Jeep needs to get rid of the on road crap they have now and stick to being a Jeep.

njjeepthing

Explorer
Honestly why does Jeep need a small car? Chrysler has Dodge to take care of that.

I think Jeep needs to get rid of the on road crap they have now and stick to being a Jeep.

X 100, Jeep doesn't need a small car, the Patriot and Compass should be cut and they should concentrate on what they do well 4x4's! I'd like to see a pickup of some sort as well as something larger than the Grand/Commander offering, something like the old Grand Wagoneer would be nice.

alosix

Expedition Leader
I could be wrong but dont they have to have them for the CAFE rating or something?

I don't think that's calculated by brand, it would likely still total everything that Chrysler does. It would become an issue if Jeep ever got spun off.

Jason

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater