Artistic Shots- Well thought out, framed (positioned), artistic shots only please.

JohnLemieuxPhotos

Adventurer
PA180704.jpg

PA180724.jpg

Album from the shoot
http://s121.photobucket.com/albums/o224/rangeroverman/12-19-2010 Shoot/

5097856306_d06a188c4f_o.jpg

Lost Canadian

Expedition Leader
I'm not usually one to publicly display the other side of some of the stuff that I dabble in, namely portraits, but here's one that some of you may appreciate.

1061985472_u3pFE-XL.jpg

cruisertoy

Explorer
I'm not usually one to publicly display the other side of some of the stuff that I dabble in, namely portraits, but here's one that some of you may appreciate.

1061985472_u3pFE-XL.jpg
I've seen this powerful hand thing before. Wonder Twin Powers Activivate! Did either one form into an eagle or anything cool and fly away?

Attachments

• wonder twins.jpg
    wonder twins.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 6

Every Miles A Memory

Expedition Leader
I know that this will derail this thread if we all start posting Portrait Type shots, so maybe we should start a new thread and title it specifically Portrait Shots - Well Thought Out, Framed and Positioned Properly

Even if I'm shooting 100% landscape and travel style photography while on the road, I still browse a few portrait forums on a regular basis to get ideas and learn new stuff when it comes to lighting.

Portrait style photography is some of the hardest to master and you really need to know your camera and lighting techniques to become good at it. Whether you shoot it or not, studying it will make you a better photographer.

I could post stuff up all day long because it's really how we make our money with photography. No one wants to buy any of our landscape stuff because these days, everyone thinks they're a professional landscape photographer, but I'll still have landscape photographers who are pretty good call to ask about doing some portrait shots of their family because they cant seem to figure that out.

taco2go

Explorer
Great idea with the Portrait thread Pat! I think we could learn a lot.
Awesome shot trevor-

Portrait style photography is some of the hardest to master and you really need to know your camera and lighting techniques to become good at it. Whether you shoot it or not, studying it will make you a better photographer.

Very true- I'm definitely intimidated by that whole aspect of photography, which is why I'll never be a "real" photographer. :)

Lost Canadian

Expedition Leader

I could post stuff up all day long because it's really how we make our money with photography. No one wants to buy any of our landscape stuff because these days, everyone thinks they're a professional landscape photographer, but I'll still have landscape photographers who are pretty good call to ask about doing some portrait shots of their family because they cant seem to figure that out.

Pat's right, portrait is a different beast from landscape but it's for reasons many people may not immediately recognize. What a lot of people fail to grasp is that the principals of good image making are exactly the same for landscape as they are for portraiture as they are for architectural as they are for food as as as. A good image still boils down to fundamentals. If you can shoot landscape and you understand light, form, balance, line etc you can probably shoot people. A landscape and portrait photographer may use slightly different tools, but learning how to use those tools is the easy part. Understanding the principles and how our brains work and see things however is the biggest challenge.

The reasons portrait is slighty different, besides some of the tools, is it requires human interaction. If you're an introvert or a jerk you may find portrait difficult. Most people who are having their picture taken are usually a little nervous and your job, in addition to taking good shots, is to make them feel relaxed and comfortable with you. Genuine smiles and direction come a lot easier when all parties are having fun.

Every Miles A Memory

Expedition Leader
Hey Trevor, you should copy and paste that last paragraph into the thread Steve started because it's probably one of the most important things about portrait photography, the interaction with the subject to get them to relax and not freeze up when the camera is pointed at them

jh504

Explorer
I liked the way these turned out, even though I'm no advanced photographer and photobucket sucks. Looking for some critiquing.

IMG_6882-1.jpg

IMG_6810.jpg

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
Nice cabin to photograph. :sombrero: I don't know what software you may have for processing but to me they are a little bit dark or under exposed. I wouldn't push it much just tad to bring out the areas that are blacked out.

Compared to the first one the second seems a bit green. Might be just a push on the white balance or desaturate the green a bit to bring back the browns of the wood.

Very cool cabin though. :victory:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle