Overland Journal: Discovery I, 5-speed

SeaRubi

Explorer
East Coast terrain is a nice, large primer for what you would encounter in the Pacific Northwest. :ylsmoke: Imagine Colorado heights matched with East Coast terrain and you've got the PNW in a nutshell.

There are thousands of miles of logging roads and jeep trails cut into the Cascades after WWII. All of it goes from dusty to muddy to snowy and all of it contains big root ledges, rocks, and everything in between. I'd say half of it is all off-camber with life ending consequences for careless mistakes.

The oldest Jeep club in the country is the Yakima Ridgerunners, and all those old timers swear by the skinny tire and spirited driving. Nowadays, inside of the same club, everybody wants to prattle on about how much better their fancy high tech creations are over those old Willys Jeeps that carved the trails into the hills in the first place.

The difference that I came to accept wasn't a question regarding the efficacy of new vs. old technology, but rather making note of the sharp relief in character between old timers and young bucks like myself. Those fellas had been across both ponds and watched a great number of their countrymen die on the battlefield. Those same years of my life during their age were spent sucking down lattes in a nice office. For them, pushing a little jeep through the mountains for fun was a welcome reward for protecting their country. For me, it became an excuse to spend money.

In our age of Easy Button living we've been trained to only accept instant gratification and cannot be bothered with inconveniences like trudging through mud and snow in a pouring rain while digging out with a small shovel, grinning ear to ear and loving every minute of it. Choosing a skinny tire is to choose character, determination, perseverance, a touch of insanity, and a spirit for the hunt. Those are all properties of the driver that are worth upgrading in tandem with tires and suspension bits. I feel like I still have a long way to go, but I find it much more fulfilling than bolting parts onto the truck.

Likewise, the Camel Trophy events were a reminder that not all of life's challenges should be ironed out with technology. That reminder and the promise of adventure will remain intact long after the next wave of automotive technology supplants the current thinking of what's best. For those of us chasing a part of ourselves that we didn't know existed before finding it one day - up deep in the mountains alone, hopelessly stuck, and realizing how much those lattes didn't matter in the greater scheme of things - a small tire and a manual winch can offer huge advantages.

cheers,
-ike

David Harris

Expedition Leader
Thats great but do you actually WHEEL your truck or do you only camp? Therein lies the difference. I learned technique many years ago on past trucks and am now just scratching the surface of what my current set up can do. Your "built" truck takes you down fire roads and trails and into campsites. For what you do, spring isolators for .75" of lift is great. For me, 4" with bigger tires and more flex is great.

Actually I WHEEL and then CAMP. Imagine that . . . Come on out to some of the Jeep roads in Colorado and tell me this isn't WHEELING. Like I said, a stock Land Rover WHEELS just fine. It doesn't really need half the mods people put on them, even for pretty difficult stuff. You've got to try it sometime with a stock one. You'll be impressed. :)

Last edited:

ini88

Adventurer
Let us all agree that we all drive in different areas in different terrain to achieve different outcomes :)

Now post more photos of your Disco! This thread should have way more of those nice photos you were putting up before.

Last edited:

David Harris

Expedition Leader
Lets us all agree that we all drive in different areas in different terrain to achieve different outcomes :)

Now post more photos of your Disco! This thread should have way more of those nice photos you were putting up before.

That would definitely be hijacking Scott's thread, if we haven't already . . . :)

rover4x4

Adventurer
255s would be absolutely miserable on a stock geared disco with a ZF, I dont care who you are that **** sucks. 215's are so narrow they seem like they would be scary on a lifted Rover.

Nonimouse

Cynical old bastard
East Coast terrain is a nice, large primer for what you would encounter in the Pacific Northwest. :ylsmoke: Imagine Colorado heights matched with East Coast terrain and you've got the PNW in a nutshell.

There are thousands of miles of logging roads and jeep trails cut into the Cascades after WWII. All of it goes from dusty to muddy to snowy and all of it contains big root ledges, rocks, and everything in between. I'd say half of it is all off-camber with life ending consequences for careless mistakes.

The oldest Jeep club in the country is the Yakima Ridgerunners, and all those old timers swear by the skinny tire and spirited driving. Nowadays, inside of the same club, everybody wants to prattle on about how much better their fancy high tech creations are over those old Willys Jeeps that carved the trails into the hills in the first place.

The difference that I came to accept wasn't a question regarding the efficacy of new vs. old technology, but rather making note of the sharp relief in character between old timers and young bucks like myself. Those fellas had been across both ponds and watched a great number of their countrymen die on the battlefield. Those same years of my life during their age were spent sucking down lattes in a nice office. For them, pushing a little jeep through the mountains for fun was a welcome reward for protecting their country. For me, it became an excuse to spend money.

In our age of Easy Button living we've been trained to only accept instant gratification and cannot be bothered with inconveniences like trudging through mud and snow in a pouring rain while digging out with a small shovel, grinning ear to ear and loving every minute of it. Choosing a skinny tire is to choose character, determination, perseverance, a touch of insanity, and a spirit for the hunt. Those are all properties of the driver that are worth upgrading in tandem with tires and suspension bits. I feel like I still have a long way to go, but I find it much more fulfilling than bolting parts onto the truck.

Likewise, the Camel Trophy events were a reminder that not all of life's challenges should be ironed out with technology. That reminder and the promise of adventure will remain intact long after the next wave of automotive technology supplants the current thinking of what's best. For those of us chasing a part of ourselves that we didn't know existed before finding it one day - up deep in the mountains alone, hopelessly stuck, and realizing how much those lattes didn't matter in the greater scheme of things - a small tire and a manual winch can offer huge advantages.

cheers,
-ike

Ike if you don't mind I'm going to cut and paste this. I may also refer to it in future articles. It's profound and intelligent; it also grasps the concept of what it's all about.

As for mud; well yes here in the UK we do mud differently, it's pretty much 95% of our off road driving. It's why the UK has the highest sales of MT tyres per capita in the world. We can have 10 soil types in 5 miles and clay that is only matched in Mongolia. But we have very little sand and virtually no rock - lot of water though

CT tyre choice came from two things; Construction and Use regulations; and the decision by men who created off road driving, knowing that a decent winch, reasonable rubber and a bit of underbelly protection were all you need.

Much as I respect anyone who gets off thier ******** to go out and do what they enjoy, I don't understand the need to modify so much when there is simply no need. 25 years ago we used skinny tyres because that's what there was; so we did just as much but worked harder to achieve it

That's why I like most of what Scott has done to his Disco - okay some of it is way over priced and pointless (IMHO) but it's a good design and all that is needed.

Oh and I do 'wheel' and I do camp

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
25 years ago we used skinny tyres because that's what there was; so we did just as much but worked harder to achieve it
I don't know about the UK, but here in the US 25 years ago wide tires were pretty popular. Most of the ads in the magazines I still have from that period are for wide tires.
Personally I've always preferred narrow, from my first Rover I ran 7.00x15's on to the 7.50x16's on my 109's, Lightweight and coilers. I'm disappointed that 7.50x16's are so hard to find now.

Paladin

Banned
The front bumper on my truck was a prototype for a bumper that went into production. The truck that it was fabbed on had a 1-1.5" body lift there are two sets of holes drilled into my bumper that accommodate either stock body lift or the additional body lift. I'm pretty sure that guy knew what he was doing.

-Sam

Sounds like he did. That type of arrangement makes a lot of sense. What I mean, was that modifying an existing bumper, takes a bit of work.

If it's mud you're talking about, they are much superior to wider tires because they cut down to the surface underneath much better.

You're assuming there's something solid underneath the mud.

That's a very unwise assumption.

David Harris

Expedition Leader
That's a very unwise assumption.

And if there isn't anything under there, then the wide ones will sink anyway. The flotation you get only works if you have a lot of speed and power to spin the tread clean, and keep moving. That's why they work on mud boggers with high horsepower motors. As I said, the flotation of the tires decreases control in the mud, just as wider road tires will hydroplane easier. This also makes the narrow tires better in the snow as well.

Last edited:

Big D

Observer
I have a feeling Scott is out enjoying his Disco and dumped this thread when the fighting started.

Lol...Yup...Why can't we just get along? and I though Jeep guys knew everything.

I think a few individuals are missing the point here. It started out as a discussion about bodylift and went to tires. Both of these are personal preferences depending on who uses the truck for what. But some individuals will not be persuaded no matter what. For those, I guess you have to learn to agree to disagree. That's all.

There are advantages and disadvantages to both body lifts, and different size tires.

As the one of the previous post said, lets leave this thread. I'll start the body lift one, and someone can start the tire. It's only a discussion.

Viggen

Just here...
Good news Sea and Alia, I found your PERFECT set up. Theyre skinny, tall, AND ignore all current tire technology!
9081016.006.Mini1L2.jpg

Hummer-Wooden-Wheels.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger