Overland Journal: Discovery I, 5-speed

AxeAngel

Expedition Leader
What are your lift pucks constructed of? How did you move the bumpers up to match the body again?

You could just redrill the holes on the bumper where it mates to the frame depending on the body lift.

Im guessing the lift pucks are similar to what they make poly bushings from.

-Sam

Big D

Observer
I love body lifts!

I hate to say but a small body lift with a small spring lift is the ultimate way to go. Many, many reasons!

I also hate to say it or start a war but frequently individuals tend to comment on stuff they know nothing about or are just going with what someone told them. Very rarely have they done it themselves.

A body lift when mild in height increases the clearance so that you can clear those bigger tires without going to a huge lift and completely altering the drivetrain and suspension geometry.

Manyfacturers spend hundreds of millions of dollars on research. So sometimes it does not appeal to everyone but there is usually a good reason why something was done the way it was.

So why alter something completely out of spec.....like a huge spring lift?

Mike_rupp

Adventurer
Please.

I don't need to jump out of an airplane without a chute before calling it a bad idea.

What aftermarket company do you think has spent more money on R&D: OME or some random company that makes body lifts?

First off, the last time I checked this is an expedition / overlanding site. That being said, most people with half a brain realize that having 32" tires is about all you need to get the job done. Another thing to consider is that anybody going out for more than a day trip is going to load the truck up. Now, what is the best way to achieve both of those requirements? An Ome lift does both. You get additional load carrying capacity as well as providing clearance to fit 32" tires. You get the added benefit of raising the vehicle 1.5".

So please stop with the generalities and let's get specific. What combo of spring lift and body lift would you recommend for an overlanding LR?

Nonimouse

Cynical old bastard
Just an aside about Old Man Emu

ARB the comapny that owns the OME brand put a huge amount of testing into matching products - ie springs to shocks. They test in real world conditions on real world vehicles - unlike 95% of the market; who will spend time testing individual products but not matching them.

The three products that go into a shock/spring set up are made by three individual Aussie companies who are the best at what they do

The only thing wrong with OME is the price

As for Mike's post. I use Factory springs if possible. No one does a range like Land Rover to mix and match to. I then use either OME or Terrafirma shocks to match.

I go for the absolute minimum of lift to clear the tyres, just as I look to keep nothing on the roof if I can help it. I stay away from body lifts as I don't see the need. Standard tyres on a Disco will get you along the Road of Bones or down through Africa. You can do the Simpson of the Gibson on 235/75x16's
Same goes for a 110 - 235/85x16's do the job, the extra 8mm under a diff from a 255 is neither here nor there. Driver skill, vehicle sympathy, recovery skills, route reading that's what you need

I'm off back to my slit trench to put on my tin hat and body armour

David Harris

Expedition Leader
Just an aside about Old Man Emu

ARB the comapny that owns the OME brand put a huge amount of testing into matching products - ie springs to shocks. They test in real world conditions on real world vehicles - unlike 95% of the market; who will spend time testing individual products but not matching them.

The three products that go into a shock/spring set up are made by three individual Aussie companies who are the best at what they do

The only thing wrong with OME is the price

As for Mike's post. I use Factory springs if possible. No one does a range like Land Rover to mix and match to. I then use either OME or Terrafirma shocks to match.

I go for the absolute minimum of lift to clear the tyres, just as I look to keep nothing on the roof if I can help it. I stay away from body lifts as I don't see the need. Standard tyres on a Disco will get you along the Road of Bones or down through Africa. You can do the Simpson of the Gibson on 235/75x16's
Same goes for a 110 - 235/85x16's do the job, the extra 8mm under a diff from a 255 is neither here nor there. Driver skill, vehicle sympathy, recovery skills, route reading that's what you need

I'm off back to my slit trench to put on my tin hat and body armour

Yes. This all comes back to the point that LR's are extremely well set-up vehicles from the factory. They just need a few weaknesses addressed, such as diff strength. You can fit up to 245/75R16 on a Disco using factory optional springs and isolators. They will also give you increased load capacity and most important, retain drivability in real world use. Again, to use the Camel Trophy example, stock LR's can go through pretty much anything with the proper skill and technique, which is the fun of off-roading, right? It's not all about dominating the terrain with massive lift/tires, and all the downsides those bring with them. BTW. That's one of the great things about Scott's build, in my opinion. He's keeping to mild mods which let the natural LR capability and style shine through.

Last edited:

Nonimouse

Cynical old bastard
Always worried about the need to "dominate the terrain"; I feel there may be issues that need addressing. As Jung said "the need to dominate is really a substitute for love"; Freud also says "a continual and never decreasing need to dominate often exposes a misplacement of sexual congress" I don't really grasp the last bit and I tent to think that Freud had serious repression issues and a tendancy to talk utter bull****.

Why the favouring of the 245/75 rather than the 215/85?

Oh and oryxexpeditions, I think you put that better than I did so thank you:sombrero:

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
What are your lift pucks constructed of? How did you move the bumpers up to match the body again?
Aluminum.
I built my own front bumper and someday will get around to making a rear one, so that wasn't an issue.

Just to be clear, I'm not saying a body lift is for everyone, just that I looked at my needs and the additional 2" gave me some room to do things I wanted to do on my '95 Disco. The tire rubbing wasn't the primary reason I did it as it was only slight at extreme angles so I could have lived with it.

Anyway, my point wasn't that everyone should do it, or that it's a good substitute for a suspension lift. Just that with my OME springs it works for me, I haven't had any issues in 150,000 miles with it and i don't regret doing it.

Last edited:

Paladin

Banned
You could just redrill the holes on the bumper where it mates to the frame depending on the body lift.

Im guessing the lift pucks are similar to what they make poly bushings from.

-Sam

On a rear bumper, that might be practical. On the front of a D2, probably a D1 as well, it's not going to be so easy because of the way the bumper mounts. You'd likely have to do a bit of fab work. Not a huge deal. But not something you'll pull off with just a drill and a 1/2" bit.

Aluminum.

So do you have the original rubber pucks stacked on top of the aluminum pucks, or there is only the aluminum now? Based on your previous statement, I'm guessing the former.

I wonder: So with nothing more than a 1.5-2" OME lift and 32" tires, then factor in 1/2" - 1" of suspension compression due to a heavy load... do the tires still clear? Or are we now needing a 3" lift to clear after the load compresses it to 2"? Then we're back to driveline problems when unladen.

It might seem there's some wisdom to a mild body lift on top of an OME suspension...

Heck, with an OEM lift on a D2, 245/75 tires and no swaybars I get some tire rub when fully flexed. Not really enough to be concerning, but if I went with 32's, it would be.

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
Is this the place for this? Start your own body lift vs Coil lift Thread!

Get off Scotts Discovery Build with this dead horse!

Mike_rupp

Adventurer
Is this the place for this? Start your own body lift vs Coil lift Thread!

Get off Scotts Discovery Build with this dead horse!

Unless Scott requests otherwise, yes, this is the place for this. Why is it that on nearly every thread when there is some sort of debate on a topic, all sorts of people who are absolutely terrified of even the smallest conflict come out of the woodwork in an attempt to be a moderater and in the process clutter the thread?

Mike_rupp

Adventurer
I wonder: So with nothing more than a 1.5-2" OME lift and 32" tires, then factor in 1/2" - 1" of suspension compression due to a heavy load... do the tires still clear? Or are we now needing a 3" lift to clear after the load compresses it to 2"? Then we're back to driveline problems when unladen.

It might seem there's some wisdom to a mild body lift on top of an OME suspension...

Heck, with an OEM lift on a D2, 245/75 tires and no swaybars I get some tire rub when fully flexed. Not really enough to be concerning, but if I went with 32's, it would be.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but I wonder if anyone has actually offroaded their Land Rovers.

On a D1, if you run the standard HD lift (751 front / 762 rear) and 235/85s you should be able to load it up fairly heavily and still be able to clear the tires even with no sway bars. Based on some of the pics of various rigs where the folks seem to bring everything along including the kitchen sink, you might need to use the 763 XHD rear springs. Granted, there will be situations like Tom's truck where he felt like he needed a body lift as well as a suspension lift, but that is the exception rather than the rule. Who knows? Maybe he installed lighter spring rate springs and gets more flex than a standard HD lift. That could have probably been addressed with taller bump stops, rather than a body lift, though.

With a 1.5" - 2" lift on a D1, the only usual driveline issue is swapping out the rotoflex driveshaft with a conventional u-joint driveshaft.

D2s are a different animal. They have longer radius arms and can go slightly higher without driveline issues. I can't remember the springs, but I installed an OME lift on a friend's D2 that resulted in about 2.5" of lift and there were no driveline issues even with the rotoflex in the rear. This lift can accommodate 265/75s easily.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior