Water tanks and water storage ideas

Equipt

Supporting Sponsor Presenting Sponsor of Overland
Hello all,

I want to pose a couple questions to the forum. What are your solutions for storing water? What would be a good solution not available?

We import some pretty cool water storage solutions. The 20L Jerry with spout, the footwell tank, roof rack water tanks and such. But that is not the be all end all of what is out there or what everyone wants. I am curious to know what you have found as your solution. And I am sure there are other out there that could learn from your experience.

Let's see what you got!!!

Cheers,

Mr. Leary

Glamping Excursionaire
I use those big blue 7 gallon jugs. Relatively cheap and easy to replace, plus they have a faucet built into them. I doubt you will be able to bring a high quality product to the market that will compete with these due to the price.

When I dont bring the trailer, I just put one of the jugs on the back floorboards. I plan to change this soon, however, and will be installing a drawer for those purified water jugs you see at grocery stores. The top of the shelf will be padded and will increase available space in the back seat for the pups.

BTW, I really like the 10.5 gallon floorboard water container you carry, but I need a shelf for the pups and water storage will just be an added benefit.

EDIT: Any way you can get the floorboard tanks taller? A 20 gallon floor board tank with optional pump would be well suited to long treks with the occassional shower. (The_Mrs. and I would love to have something like this when we do the continental divide trail).

Last edited:

overlander

Expedition Leader
I just finished install of a stainless steel 9 gal water tank that goes in the unused left rear space aft of the left rear tire. I'm pretty pleased with it. Still have a few plumbing items to add to really be done.

I really like this solution for Defenders because it does not use any interior cargo space and keeps the weight extremely low.

If you could have water tanks made that mounted in the same way for other more common vehicles in the US, I think it would be a winner for you. The water tanks and cans on the roof rack is the very last thing I would buy and install. If I do long trips, I would take a couple scepters and put them on the roof for the trip, but keep them empty and only use them as transports between source and vehicle, or as short term storage if I have to be self sufficient for 2-3 days between refill points. I would only store them in the internal cargo area in that case however.

My recommendation is that the expedition equipment suppliers that want their expertise and experience to be the foundation of their business, should discourage the products that put weight up high, and encourage customers to keep it low. At least that's what the little Tom Shephard sitting on my shoulder keeps whispering in my ear whenever I look at my roof rack. :ylsmoke:

ersatzknarf

lost, but making time
Hi Paul,
There are a lot of solutions and specifically water tanks that are available in Germany (EU) that are hard if not impossible to get here. I have seen a number of items of interest in the Reimo on-line catalog. I have a photo of a neat little VW camper water tank with wheels and another of it installed in the back of a LR camper. If you like, I would be glad to email them (not yet gotten my act together as to posting photos here :( )

Hello all,

I want to pose a couple questions to the forum. What are your solutions for storing water? What would be a good solution not available?

We import some pretty cool water storage solutions. The 20L Jerry with spout, the footwell tank, roof rack water tanks and such. But that is not the be all end all of what is out there or what everyone wants. I am curious to know what you have found as your solution. And I am sure there are other out there that could learn from your experience.

Let's see what you got!!!

Cheers,

Hiya Overlander,
Would really like to hear more about this installation. Did I miss it in the LR section ? I have been looking at that rear area space for maybe a door to hold a compressor and/or a grey water container... 9 gallons is more than the only 7 gallons I thought could be fit there !

I just finished install of a stainless steel 9 gal water tank that goes in the unused left rear space aft of the left rear tire. I'm pretty pleased with it. Still have a few plumbing items to add to really be done.

I really like this solution for Defenders because it does not use any interior cargo space and keeps the weight extremely low.

If you could have water tanks made that mounted in the same way for other more common vehicles in the US, I think it would be a winner for you. The water tanks and cans on the roof rack is the very last thing I would buy and install. If I do long trips, I would take a couple scepters and put them on the roof for the trip, but keep them empty and only use them as transports between source and vehicle, or as short term storage if I have to be self sufficient for 2-3 days between refill points. I would only store them in the internal cargo area in that case however.

My recommendation is that the expedition equipment suppliers that want their expertise and experience to be the foundation of their business, should discourage the products that put weight up high, and encourage customers to keep it low. At least that's what the little Tom Shephard sitting on my shoulder keeps whispering in my ear whenever I look at my roof rack. :ylsmoke:

overlander

Expedition Leader
Hiya Overlander,
Would really like to hear more about this installation. Did I miss it in the LR section ? I have been looking at that rear area space for maybe a door to hold a compressor and/or a grey water container... 9 gallons is more than the only 7 gallons I thought could be fit there !

I haven't actually measured it yet, but all the 110 wing tanks I've seen range in the 40-45L range. I'm going to measure it out this weekend with a milk jug to get an exact amount.

I haven't done anything on this one in the build section. As a matter of fact, I haven't done hardly any of my projects in the build section.

BirfMark

Observer
Someone makes some 'bladder' type bags for the land cruisers, but I can't think of who - an aussie company. I've often thought it would be pretty nice to have a flexible bladder bag like that to fit behind the cavernous rear side panels in my 80, with flexible fill necks that could be mounted to the plastic interior panel itself. A similar hose/flexible attachment could be provided as an outlet, low down on the panel.

A flexible tank to maximize space utilization, but with easy access fill and drain ports. That's what I'd love to see.

NLXTACY

Someone makes some 'bladder' type bags for the land cruisers, but I can't think of who - an aussie company. I've often thought it would be pretty nice to have a flexible bladder bag like that to fit behind the cavernous rear side panels in my 80, with flexible fill necks that could be mounted to the plastic interior panel itself. A similar hose/flexible attachment could be provided as an outlet, low down on the panel.

A flexible tank to maximize space utilization, but with easy access fill and drain ports. That's what I'd love to see.

Flexitank makes them for both vehicle specific applications but also HUGE bladders as well. They make them for ARB AUS. Runs about $200 for an 80 series.

BirfMark

Observer
Flexitank makes them for both vehicle specific applications but also HUGE bladders as well. They make them for ARB AUS. Runs about $200 for an 80 series.

Right - I think it was you who told me about them on mud. The flexitank ones just seem to be lacking some features that I think could/should be incorporated for their steep price. A cordura sheath would be the first thing - I can't imagine that vinyl would hold up very long rubbing on the metal edges in the compartment. Some sort of hanging or suspension system to hold the back upright in the area would be nice as well, to resist pushing out the plastic cover panel.

I can't see the fill or drain connections very well on the flexitank units either, but it appears as though the fill is rigid, and at the wrong angle for use in the cruiser. I think it would be ideal if you could just have a port in the plastic interior panel that you could stick a hose into in order to fill the bladder. Another no-drip quick connect hose attachment low down on the panel to connect another hose for draining, and you'd be set.

Oh, and someone who sells/imports them State-side would be nice too, unlike the Flexitank stuff.

overlander

Expedition Leader
Here is my 110 rear wing tank install. Confirmed with milk jug today it's 9.5 gallons. I'm quite pleased with results. In a month or so I will tie into my onboard water sys with heat exchanger, and next year will install untreated water filtration.

188894a1-afc1-2265.jpg
188894a1-afd5-baa0.jpg
188894a1-afe6-6923.jpg

Equipt

Supporting Sponsor Presenting Sponsor of Overland
Hey Guys,

Thanks for the insight on these tanks. Some great input here. I too think that the water bladder style storage makes a lot of sense. The pro is conforming to unique spaces. The con is abrasion and ports. And they would be different in every vehicle and situation. Definitely something to research.

Here is a link to the fender tank that Front Runner South Africa makes. We have access to them, but haven't been sure of their marketability in the US. We can special order them for the next container if anyone is interested. I think this makes tremendous sense for water. Low COG, easy access and fill. My only concern is cleanliness of the tap after a day on the trail. Easy enough to solve with a cover.

http://www.frontrunner.co.za/fr_products/products/FRLR46.php

I'd love to hear more solutions!!!

Cheers,

GPER

Observer
I was thinking of running the 6 inch pvc pipe along the frame rails on my trailer. Put a tire valve in somewhere to put some pressure in ti to force the water out. I'm still thinking about it.

Bogo

Adventurer
For my MicroRV design I am placing lockers for two jerry cans each on each side behind the cab and in front of the rear wheels. That gets the weight low as well as allowing different mixes of water and fuel for different trips. I'm also debating on placing lockers behind the wheels, but that would effect departure angle. The lockers would open to the outside and be locked. Also other gear could be stowed in them if the volume of water and fuel isn't needed. With both in front and behind the tires I'd have space for 160 liters/40 gallons in 20 liter/5 gallon increments.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears