Water tanks and water storage ideas

overlander

Expedition Leader
Paul,
You should partner with a custom PVC tank manufacturer to come up with some water tanks that are customized for the most common North American vehicles.

There's plenty of places doing in in the EU and Oz, but mostly for their common vehicles.

Sawyer

Adventurer
Here is what I think is the Cat Meow....... A sub tank that fits in the factory spare location like the front runner set up:

Front Runner Aux Fuel Tank

Only here is the catch... the tank would actually be two tanks in one. One for water and the other for fuel. The kit would come set up like the one linked above and also have everything to fill the water side, and a place to connect an external hose for filling. The link below is not the exact set-up but gives an idea of where I am heading....

http://forum.ih8mud.com/100-series-cruisers/167113-featured-100-snook-2.html#post2363633

See post #24. A user interface like this that you could choose to install on the outside of the rig, rear bumper, interior panel, side of a drawer system, etc. And instead of an external pump like that install, have a tank mounted pump.

Well, that is what I have been thinking of......

By the way Paul, my new fridge and dual battery system arrived today! What a smile I have.......

Overland Hadley

on a journey
BTW, I really like the 10.5 gallon floorboard water container you carry, but I need a shelf for the pups and water storage will just be an added benefit.

I bought one from Paul before my last trip. It is one of the best things on the rig. Easy to use and keeps the weight low and forward on the rig.

mesha

Observer
I usually use msr dromedaries and dromlite bags in the 10 liter size. I have never had problems with the abrasion resistance and can stand on them when they are full with no leaks. I just cram them in whatever nook is open.

In the rock crawler I keep the extra water in my tires :)

Maybe I should combine both and put a huge tube bag inside the spare tire with a tapped valve on the rim that I can get water out of...... maybe not ;)

Equipt

Supporting Sponsor Presenting Sponsor of Overland
Ah, yes. A very unique approach to water storage, and it would lower your center of gravity significantly. Might need to upgrade your brakes to compensate for the increase in centrifugal force.

Cheers,

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
My solution probably isn't perfect for everyone, but I can't seem to come up with anything that beats it. I use MSR Dromedary Bags. In particular, I use the 10 liter bags. For longer trips between water resupply, I carry 4-5 bags. They're usually just laying on the floor behind the front seats, nice and low. The bags themselves are extremely durable.

What makes them so ideal for me is the fact I don't have 40 liters in one gigantic container. If I need to grab one bag to take to a cook station, I can. More importantly, if I'm in an area with a remote water source, I can carry the bags a great distance from my vehicle to fill them, then easily tote them back. How do you fill a 50 liter vehicle mounted tank if you're a 100 yard hike to a water source?

There's also the added bonus of redundancy. One of my friends kept bragging about his clever 60 gallon vehicle mounted tank right up to the point it leaked itself bone dry.

msr_dromedary.jpg

JohnnyS

Explorer
Paul,
Do you know if the footwell tank will fit in an 80 series with the rear seats folded forwards (with the headrests removed)?
Thanks!!

stevo

Observer
As most everyone knows, the U.S. govt. contracts out just about everything it needs. Well, I just received three more "Scepter" type MWC's (military water containers) from "buylci.com"; two in O.D.green and one in tan. Here's the cool part...I ordered them on 12/28 online and received them via UPS on 12/29. Granted Their warehouse is in Las Vegas and I'm in SoCal but what teriffic service! Also, if your order comes to
$50 or more, shipping is free. My MWC's were $18.99 a piece. Just something I wanted to share.
Cheers-Stevo

Sloan

Explorer
My solution probably isn't perfect for everyone, but I can't seem to come up with anything that beats it. I use MSR Dromedary Bags. In particular, I use the 10 liter bags. For longer trips between water resupply, I carry 4-5 bags. They're usually just laying on the floor behind the front seats, nice and low. The bags themselves are extremely durable.

What makes them so ideal for me is the fact I don't have 40 liters in one gigantic container. If I need to grab one bag to take to a cook station, I can. More importantly, if I'm in an area with a remote water source, I can carry the bags a great distance from my vehicle to fill them, then easily tote them back. How do you fill a 50 liter vehicle mounted tank if you're a 100 yard hike to a water source?

There's also the added bonus of redundancy. One of my friends kept bragging about his clever 60 gallon vehicle mounted tank right up to the point it leaked itself bone dry.

View attachment 50213

I just got some of these and they rock! The best part is that as you empty them you can roll them up and stash them.

Snagger

Explorer
I like my black plastic 20L UK MoD Jerrycans. They fit the lockers I fitted to my 109 (from an MoD 110), are light and robust, not so big as to become unduly heavy when full, have a large and small cap on opposite top corners for fast or careful pouring and quick refilling (opening both also prevents "glugging" and splashing when pouring), and the black plastic prevents light penetration and rapid fungal/bacterial growth.

I don't like the idea of a vehicle fixed system - too costly and inflexible. Cans can be carried to where they're needed (cooking areas, ablutions areas, filling points, dealing with fires, topping up the vehicle cooling system and so on) and don't need special valves, taps, hoses or adaptors.

By fitting three fuel tanks, my Jerrycan lockers are available for water only (it also has the advantages that I have much greater fuel capacity than fuel cans would add, I don't need to stop to refill the fuel tank from a fuel can and the CoG is kept very low).

A pair of 20L black water bladder about 4-5' long would be a good addition for many peoples' roof racks, if suitably tough, as they could be filled and tied down to the rack flat to warm up in sunshine for a warm shower at the end of the day and rolled up when empty.

Ruined Adventures

Brenton Cooper
I just got some of these and they rock! The best part is that as you empty them you can roll them up and stash them.

This is why i love the 10L dromedary bladders, when empty they hardly take up any space...not to mention, you can use it for backpacking, shower kit makes a decent camp shower/faucet, MSR water filters attach to the bladders threads for when you refill at a sketchy water source. I keep a 10L bag attached to the back of my driver's seat so I always have drinking water within easy reach...My only wish is to have a larger dromedary bag for water storage on extended road trips.

Recently tried the spray bottle technique:
One spray bottle with hot soapy water, another spray bottle with just hot water, and a scrubber. A tub is used as a sink, to hold the dirty dishes and collect the runoff, which can be poured back into the dirtier dishes that need to "soak". I'll admit, constantly squeezing the spray bottle becomes a chore and a forearm workout, but it saves a lot of water. We try to just wipe clean most dishes, but for the truly dirty dishes this is a technique we will try to use from now on. (I also keep a thick mil plastic bag in the tub to use as an emergency spill kit in a pinch, just use the bag as a liner to keep the tub clean)

Last edited:

off-roader

Expedition Leader
I've mostly used Reliance collapsible 2.5 & 5 gallon jugs that come with an integrated pour spout. $8 & $9 (respectively) at REI. Only problem is they eventually wear out and leak, and although rare, it has also happened where something shifted and hit the spout knob the wrong way and you get a nice wet mess.

I've also used Arrowhead jugs (2 gal?) from the local grocery store which I've secured in my storage drawers.

I've considered that large plastic floor tank you sell but it wont fit around my rig's tunnel or I'd have probably seriously considered it. Instead I bought that plastic Jerry Can unit you sell but have yet to use it on the trail. I do like that I can easily secure it in my Jerry can holder though.:smiley_drive:

I have also seen the rear floor bladder systems from Australia and they're interesting because of their location and collapsible design but have never seen them available here or I would definitely consider one... although if they are $200, I'd probably quickly reconsider LOL... $100-125 seems more reasonable for something like that IMHO or it's simply not worth it over the other alternatives. I did see the 27L unit from Frontrunner but that's just slightly larger than the Jerry can unit. If it's gonna be a floor bladder system then I'm thinking 30-40L would be right. Securing it though could be problematic.

One thing I'm taking more seriously is no longer having loose objects that become projectiles in an accident or more importantly a roll over. Bulky light/soft objects like sleeping bags or a thermarest pad I'm not so worried about but water jugs or Jerry cans are a big no-no to me. It's another reason I'm glad I went with the Jerry can unit.:ylsmoke:

Youngunner

Adventurer
Saw these 20 L rubber water bladders on DeutschOptik...

SW030.jpg

http://www.deutscheoptik.com/product_info.php?cPath=3&products_id=459

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan