Recommend a head-lamp?(like the ones that go on your forehead)

Tdaz250

Yeah so i was at REI today looking at headlamps and just couldnt decide on one. I figured there would be a bunch of recommends on here so i figured i'd ask.

Anybody have any favorites?

shantsn

I've got 2 petzls, the older tikka xp and the tikka 2. I love them both, but prefer the xp since it has a defuser

ETAV8R

Founder of D.E.R.P.
I have several Petzl headlamps. My first headlamp was something from Energizer purchased at Target. It was primarily used for the night portion of my flight training.
The next was the TacTikka Plus which was used for camping and flying. Most pilots love flashlights of all kinds. Not sure why. Soooo I come from a family immersed in aviation and I too loves me some flashlights. Next was the TacTikka XP Adapt which comes with a lot of accessories and would probably be your best bet. It is pricey but well worth it if you think you may use the accessories. So of course that wasn't enough so I got a Tactikka XP desert tan. Well when I happened across almost the same headlamp on sale for slightly more than half off I had to get a few. They make great gifts. The drawback with the sale items was that there were no colored lenses included so I had to pick up some from Amazon.

About the lenses. Either make sure the one you are buying comes with a red lens cover or that you can get one for it. Night vision is preserved with red/amber so it is really a benefit for you and those you camp with if you have the cover.

Links:
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Petzl-E49P-TacTikka-4-LED-Headlamp/dp/B0007Q3R3E/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1295174863&sr=8-2"]Amazon.com: Petzl E49P TacTikka Plus 4-LED Headlamp, Black: Home Improvement[/ame]

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Petzl-E89-TacTikka-Headlamp-Colored/dp/B000JUB2QC/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1295174863&sr=8-13"]Amazon.com: Petzl E89 P TacTikka XP Adapt LED Headlamp with 3 Colored Lenses, Black: Home Improvement[/ame]

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Petzl-89-MPD-Tactikka-Headlamp/dp/B0016OXRHW/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1295174863&sr=8-9"]Amazon.com: Petzl E 89 MPD Tactikka XP Headlamp, Desert: Home Improvement[/ame]

alexrex20

Explorer
Petzl_P2_Myo_XP.jpg

i use the Petzl Myo XP. it's not cheap, and it's not lightweight, but it is pretty damn bright. it has 3 brightness levels and a flashing mode, plus a "super bright" mode that you can only use by holding down this little button. it also has the diffuser lens to let you switch from spot beam to flood beam.

fwiw, i have tried about a dozen different headlamps, from the super lightweights to the heavyweights (like the Myo XP), and i still favor the Myo XP.

spressomon

Expedition Leader
I've put 16-months of use on my Surefire Saint Minimus for a variety of applications and I'd easily purchase it again without reservation; I absolutely love it. I've got a half dozen of the Petzl, BD, etc types and they're just not in the same league by a long shot.

Certainly not the cheapest but you'll have no regret about your purchase...and sometimes you actually DO get what you pay for :)

refried

Adventurer
I have at least 10 of them around the house and vehicles and really never had one that I was unhappy with, They all work well. check Steepandcheap.com they have deals all the time.

Tdaz250

Yeah i saw them at REI and thought i would like to pick one up eventually. For wrenching on the car or camping...and to just have one in the car for whatever.

The guy at REI said he see's their black diamond ones come back more then the petzl ones. This is the one i think i'm gonna pick up next time i'm there.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0027H2HJQ/ref=noref?ie=UTF8&s=hi&psc=1"]Amazon.com: Petzl E97 PP Tikka Plus 2 Headlamp, Pistachio: Home Improvement[/ame]

ETAV8R

Founder of D.E.R.P.
If that is the one you're interested in put a couple bucks more in and get the first one on my list. It comes with the red flip down cover and only costs a few bucks more. The one you listed has a dedicated red bulb. I'm guessing you have to cycle through all the modes to get to the red. Go for the flip up/down red cover. You wont regret it. With my first energizer headlamp you had to cycle through the modes to get to the red lamps. If you're gonna be reaching up there anyhow why not just flip the cover instead.

LACamper

Adventurer
Coming for a caver... You didn't say what you wanted to use it for.
So you want cheap, reliable, bright, and light. Doesn't exist. The Energizer is cheap and reliable but not all that bright and certainly not bright (at least as of a few years ago).
Petzl's are OK but a bit pricier (not terrible though). Not a bad compromise. NOT waterproof.
I like the Princeton Tec's. They are incredibly waterproof. I've killed two over the years though.
TAG lights have the best reputation for caving but they certainly aren't light or cheap.

Many cavers still use carbide lights. I don't suggest using them to work on your truck due to the open flame... plus they stink if they aren't adjusted right.

Check out IMO and bob&bob before you buy.

http://www.innermountainoutfitters.net/

http://www.4bobandbob.com/

Scott Brady

Founder
I've put 16-months of use on my Surefire Saint Minimus for a variety of applications and I'd easily purchase it again without reservation; I absolutely love it. I've got a half dozen of the Petzl, BD, etc types and they're just not in the same league by a long shot.

That is good to know. I have purchased all flavor of headlamps and have found them ALL to be a disappointment. From loose bands to heavy battery packs to lame output from LEDs to goofy but effective miner's style units. My Black Diamond had the most ridiculous of features, a small green LED that flashed to help you locate it in the tent, except it kills the batteries, so it never works when you need it.

I like the compact size and 100 lumens is out of control!
Minimus_large.png

Moody

Needs to get out more
The new Black Diamond Spots are superb. Something like 75 lumens on the spot mode, less when set to the 3 smaller LED's. Dimmable, has a red led setting for night. I really think BD nailed it on the new Spots.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger