Recommend a head-lamp?(like the ones that go on your forehead)

Silver dude

Xplorer
I've had down right awesome luck with this one. Really bright 150 lumens for $16 seems like a high quality unit as well. I've owned petzls and colemans and the materiel quality is better on this unit. Aluminum and a well designed solid plastic housing. Other then take a long time to arrive at my house no complaints. The brightness of this unit puts my much more expensive 90 lumen coleman to shame.
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.20763

Last edited:

trump

Adventurist
I love the Mammut Lucido TX1

http://www.rei.com/product/775033

It's not for everyone. If you want to flood everything near you with light, then skip it. If you need long battery life, enough flood light to navigate by foot, and a powerful spot... it should fit the bill. I really like that it uses standard AA's instead of CR123's or other high cost batteries. 6 months of use including a 2 night backpacking trip (~12hrs of burn time) and it still hasn't dimmed on the included batteries! Also the spot on it is really bright... I would guess 140 lumens or better.

MuckSavage

Adventurer
I have a PrinetonTec "Quad" & love it! PrincetonTec even sent me a new band free after I stretched mine out (on a hard hat....my head's not that big)

spressomon

Expedition Leader
That is good to know. I have purchased all flavor of headlamps and have found them ALL to be a disappointment. From loose bands to heavy battery packs to lame output from LEDs to goofy but effective miner's style units. My Black Diamond had the most ridiculous of features, a small green LED that flashed to help you locate it in the tent, except it kills the batteries, so it never works when you need it.

I like the compact size and 100 lumens is out of control!
Minimus_large.png

I pre-ordered mine about 6-months before I got one of the first production units; I see from your photo/Surefire site, they've changed both barrels to knurled, added a coin slot for the battery cover and added an SOS mode.

You won't be disappointed Scott...other than not getting one sooner ;-)

spoco

Sort of depends on how bright of a light you need, I have been very happy with Black Diamond lights, I use the Icon for night skiing and with Energizer lithium batteries installed it is plenty bright enough to rip through the trees with reckless abandon without too much worry of pulling a Sonny Bono. That being said most people don't need a light with a 3AA battery pack and a 2watt main LED, the Spot on the other hand is a very good versatile light with a few unique features that make it stand out. Namely it has a rheostat that allows you to adjust the light output between just the high beam spot-light or medium flood light that most headlamps have; also at a rated output of 75 lumens for $40 it is one of the best "bang for your buck" lamps currently available.

rbrownmr2

Observer
I have had no regrets about the Petzl Tikka XP 2 I bought from REI. It has red light mode as well as 2 white light settings with the brighter of the two being 65 lumens if I remember correctly. For the around $50 range at REI it is my favorite.

Tdaz250

If that is the one you're interested in put a couple bucks more in and get the first one on my list. It comes with the red flip down cover and only costs a few bucks more. The one you listed has a dedicated red bulb. I'm guessing you have to cycle through all the modes to get to the red. Go for the flip up/down red cover. You wont regret it. With my first energizer headlamp you had to cycle through the modes to get to the red lamps. If you're gonna be reaching up there anyhow why not just flip the cover instead.

What does one use the red light for? Night time someone said?

I saw the one you are talking about at REI as well as the one i listed as i'd like to get...Not sure how i feel about the flip down red thing. I think thats why i like the other one better. Guess its just personal preference

ETAV8R

Founder of D.E.R.P.
The red light is for night vision. Not seeing in the dark but not blinding you or someone else at night with white light. Your eyes have rods and cones, cones for color and the rods for black/white. Essentially at night you rely on the rods more than cones. If you get a burst of white light it will take some time for you to regain your ability to see w/o the ghost image of whatever it was which blinded you. Red at night is a must!
The flip down part is not a big deal. I just used that one tonight at the airport. The second two links in my previous post have headlamps which are very bright, 3 settings and a burst mode. People are usually impressed when they first check out these lamps. Worth the price IMO. I would suggest amazon but that is me.

overlander

Expedition Leader
I just went through that purchase decision. Bough one then found out that Black Diamond just came out with a new model called the SPOT. It has 75 lumens on high, red and white LEDs for low, runs on AAA and had better water resistance rating then it's competitors. Was great value and I am very pleased with it. I'll be getting another for my wife soon.

ywen

Explorer
OP: Depends on how much light you need. There's usually direct correlation between lumens and weight/size.

Just go to REI and try them out

Kohburn

Adventurer
Princeton Tec should have something that meets your needs, check out their site to find one that will work for you, www.princetontec.com

I have been using the fuel 4 for a few years backpacking

http://www.rei.com/product/793429

love it. LONG battery life and the bright setting is twice as bright as most of th eother guys lamps. the only thing it lacks is a red led for really low light conditions or thick fog. but for those i just let my eyes adjust.

Kohburn

Adventurer
I just went through that purchase decision. Bough one then found out that Black Diamond just came out with a new model called the SPOT. It has 75 lumens on high, red and white LEDs for low, runs on AAA and had better water resistance rating then it's competitors. Was great value and I am very pleased with it. I'll be getting another for my wife soon.

that may be my next lamp -

mangus7175

Observer
I most commonly use mine when camping and I need to look for something in the dark. The red light is less likely to wake up my wife or daughter inside the tent...

I got one from Home Depot for $10...it's the Husky 3W LED Headlight...you'll have the option of switch to a red LED and a white LED (Item # 039953519130...i think)

...nice sig btw :elkgrin:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12