FG's in Action

kerry

Expedition Leader
Don't know if this has been posted before

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUIx_hvA07g"]YouTube - 4x4 RV camper on the trail[/ame]

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Another FG video if anyone's interested. A bus though. Not a camper.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rYJdJIgfak"]YouTube - TransSpec Corporate Video[/ame]

Amesz00

Adventurer
bloody clown of a mate decided to upload this to youtube then send it to me, so may as well stick it up here. only 2nd gear, woulda hooked 3rd...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l60-JeejqHs"]YouTube - SKIDS[/ame]

lehel1

Adventurer
death valley trip

hello all

a few pics from my latest trip to death valley, heading down there again this thursday thru next week. i'll try and do a trip report soon

cheers lehel and laura

Attachments

• death valley 2.jpg
    death valley 2.jpg
    348.7 KB · Views: 213
  • death valley 1.jpg
    death valley 1.jpg
    361.2 KB · Views: 275
  • death valley 3.jpg
    death valley 3.jpg
    393.2 KB · Views: 242

lehel1

Adventurer
a few more

a few more

Attachments

• death valley 4.jpg
    death valley 4.jpg
    331.5 KB · Views: 155
  • death valley 5.jpg
    death valley 5.jpg
    204.9 KB · Views: 197

justduck

Observer
Hi Lehil,
Great pics. What dates will you be there? We're going to DV spring break - don't know the date. Maybe we can meet. Fuso build not far enough along yet, so we'll be bringing the Alaskan.

Earl

westyss

Explorer
Yup, great pics, I was trying to make it down to Expo but cant leave BC until the Thursday prior and it would be over by the time I got there, so my wife , dog and I are going to do a week in Death valley and have been studying the trails a little. Lehel, it looks like you went 'up' Lippincott trail, is that right? and if so. how did the fuso perform? We will be getting to DV probably April 2 and I am trying to plan a good route to maybe include the race track, Ubehehe and Saline valley area, and feedback on those areas would be great.
Good to see you using that rig too.

VicHanson

Adventurer
Lehel, Wow, that middle pic above looks a bit scary! Had you scouted out the road ahead of time or did you just go for it? I'm always afraid of getting to an impassable spot and having to back out somehow!
Vic

MPatchen

Fuso in Baja

Hello, this is my first post/reply so I'm not sure if I've attached my pictures correctly..?

If I did these were taken in the Catavina area of Baja. In the third picture, instead of where's Waldo you should be able to find a Polar Bear. The last picture is my kind of my action shot, just before pulling the trailer back on it's wheels and just after having to exit the highway at speed, luckly in one of the few places without a major drop off after the Gringo managed to loose control of his trailer right in front of me, very scary!

Attachments

• Baja 08-03-21_006.jpg
    Baja 08-03-21_006.jpg
    286.3 KB · Views: 153
  • Baja 08-03-21_002.jpg
    Baja 08-03-21_002.jpg
    285.3 KB · Views: 151
  • Baja 08-03-21_001.jpg
    Baja 08-03-21_001.jpg
    269.7 KB · Views: 147
  • Baja 08-03-21_003.jpg
    Baja 08-03-21_003.jpg
    271 KB · Views: 142
  • Baja 08-03-21_007.jpg
    Baja 08-03-21_007.jpg
    251.8 KB · Views: 202

kerry

Expedition Leader
Great pictures. Can you give us some history on the truck? Doesn't look like it is a recent conversion?

MPatchen

I just started a tread called Fuso 4x4 What is it worth? asking for help determining what I should set as a selling price? In the tread I included a specification sheet, but I guess it really doesn’t tell you a lot about it’s history besides that my father designed and had the Callen camper built. It was built around 1990/1991 and during my parents ownership it, it has navigated most of Baja and unfortunately only a little bit by me. It looks as though it might be a forerunner to some of the other Fusos that I’ve seen pictured on the site. Otherwise there isn’t much to tell beside what an amazing vehicle it is with it’s tractor like, stump pulling engine that just chugs along on and off the road.

daniel ruops

Adventurer
Hello M. Patchen
By luck, I had the good fortune of picking up a copy of "Trailer Life" 30 years ago. Your parents (Marvin and Althea) were featured. It was reported that if there was a dirt road or path in Baja then your parents most likely had driven, explored and camped there. Of great interest to me was the fact that they very clearly addressed the limitations and shortcomings of cab-over campers, trailers and RV's when traveling in remote areas and on dirt roads.

Their discription of the advantages of the Fuso FG truck with a "camper" on the back made more sense than anything that I had ever previously seen or read about.

As I was driving to work on Highway 67 in Ramona, Ca. several months later I was stunned to see them oncoming in the opposite direction. I made an illegal U turn and followed them to a grocery store.

What your parents saw as they were getting out of the cab was a "goofy looking slack jawed person who was so enchanted by what he was seeing that his feet were barely touching the ground" as he approached them.

Your father had a delighted smile as he observed me approaching....you mother said "I guess this means that I will be doing the grocery shopping myself..........

I am grateful for having met your remarkable parents and the information that they provided. They were the catalyst for seeking out the "mechanical genius" Darrin Fink of RUF and now owning Darrin's ATTREC FM-204

lehel1

Adventurer
hey earl

Hi Lehil,
Great pics. What dates will you be there? We're going to DV spring break - don't know the date. Maybe we can meet. Fuso build not far enough along yet, so we'll be bringing the Alaskan.

Earl

hello earl

great to hear from you. give me a call, we'd enjoy catching up and seeing how your rig is coming along. we just got back from dv thur.
our next trip will be the overland expo. we plan to leave around the 26th or 27th.

cheers lehel and laura

p.s. how did your wheel order do ??

lehel1

Adventurer
dv and saline ?

Yup, great pics, I was trying to make it down to Expo but cant leave BC until the Thursday prior and it would be over by the time I got there, so my wife , dog and I are going to do a week in Death valley and have been studying the trails a little. Lehel, it looks like you went 'up' Lippincott trail, is that right? and if so. how did the fuso perform? We will be getting to DV probably April 2 and I am trying to plan a good route to maybe include the race track, Ubehehe and Saline valley area, and feedback on those areas would be great.
Good to see you using that rig too.

hello westyss

i hope to do somekind of writeup of our recent trips soon.

but to answer some of your questions, yes that was the lippicott trail and the truck performed flawlessly. we did the overland rally in oct and learned alot about the limits of our camper, and that sure helped with the comfort level to take our camper thru moer difficult terrain.

i did take the motor bike up to the race track first (sort of a reconasince vehical) witht he super singles the track width was just right for the narrow/washed out road. i don't think the stock duallys would have made it as easily thru some of the narrow spots.

i went to saline valley thru the south pass, stayed a few days, then thru the lippincott road, explored the race track area, down thru ubehebe, into the central dv for a few days, the southwest end of dv exploring the many canyons and of course butt valley/ballarat, then back over hunter mountain to saline again, before heading out the south pass and home.
our lastest trip was last week, took laura down to the hot springs and didn't do to much drivng around while there, just relaxing with friends.

anyhow, i'll do a separate treat on both trips.

cheers lehel and laura

Witchdoctor Oz

Adventurer
These two trucks were on the beach at Moreton Island when we landed on Friday morning.
Both the backs were ATW's one was build 001 the other was 007. They were also on the Barge this arvo on the trip home, had a good look over them as no one was looking after them & the doors were left open. Those trucks cop a hiding in all that sand & salt.

Cheers
David

Attachments

• Canter 771.JPG
    Canter 771.JPG
    191.7 KB · Views: 123
  • Canter 763.JPG
    Canter 763.JPG
    210.6 KB · Views: 127
  • Moreton Island Tour Buses.JPG
    Moreton Island Tour Buses.JPG
    178.4 KB · Views: 1,836