Time For a New ADV: Decisions, Decisions

WU7X

Snow on the Roof
I was going to push the F800GS at you again...

but then I saw you comments about going two-up with Stephanie.

Why not a 1200GSA with a nice sidecar? It's only money after all. :bike_rider:

Mike,

This is a good question and an important part of the discussion. It really comes down to distance traveled. Even when I rode a KTM640 in Panama for a few days straight the vibration and buffeting greatly affected fatigue. On the Trans-America Trail with Brian none of these things were an issue as it was 90%+ dirt. Riding a 640 SXC was similarly torturous. Brian's F800 is nice on the road with a smooth motor. My KTM it hard to ride more than 200 miles a day of pavement with high vibrations and lots of buffeting. It is much better than the smaller thumpers, but still exhausting when compared to a 1200GSA.

Short trips and lots of dirt, get a small bike with lots of suspension travel and a 21" front wheel. I want to do some longer trips with Stephanie two-up and do more exploration or even a Asian overland trip on a bigger bike. That typically leaves the 1200 at the top of the heap, even with its limitations.

So, maybe this thread needs to be about the FIVE bikes I need to buy. Lets see:

1. BMW 1200 GSA
2. Triumph Scrambler
3. Royal Enfield
4. KTM 530
5. Zero DS

Yep, that should do it :D

Scott Brady

Founder
I actually like the idea of the X-Challenge. Will do some more research.

Touratech has some nice farkle for it too.

01-049-0130-01-lg.jpg

GR8ADV

Explorer
I actually like the idea of the X-Challenge. Will do some more research.

Touratech has some nice farkle for it too.

01-049-0130-01-lg.jpg

you are now officially all over the map :Wow1: I have never before heard anyone decisioning (should be a word) between a 1200 and an x-challenge.

These bikes are soooo different the selection conversation is becoming mute. time to get off the computer and on a test ride to narrow your focus. :bike_rider:

Ray Hyland

Expedition Leader
I think you should spend a week on the Triumph 800XC before you decide on the GS.

The 21" front wheel, combined with a pretty innovative frame geometry reminiscent of the original naked Suzuki Bandit hooligan bikes should make it a fun ride across a range of terrain.

And I have always really loved the way the Triumph Triples deliver their power so smoothly through the power band. It makes for an easier ride in the technical stuff, and yet they still have very little engine vibration, which is nice for long highway miles.

It does take a while to get used to when you are used to Singles, Twins, and 4's, so that's why I would recommend keeping one for a week.

Not everyone's style I know, but if you are one of the people who click with the triple, you will really love it.

Cheers

Ray

you are now officially all over the map :Wow1: I have never before heard anyone decisioning (should be a word) between a 1200 and an x-challenge.

These bikes are soooo different the selection conversation is becoming mute. time to get off the computer and on a test ride to narrow your focus. :bike_rider:

+1

I was intently following the thread until someone compared apples and oranges.

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
. . . Then I saw your comments about going two-up with Stephanie. Why not a 1200GSA with a nice sidecar? It's only money after all. :bike_rider:

BRILLIANT SUGGESTION. Using a GS, Roger Toves, the guy I bought my Yamaha rig from, and his daughter last summer became the first hack team to complete the Alcan 5000.

Rogerssidecar1.jpg

Rogerssidecar2.jpg

No doubt about it . . . sidecars are underused and underrated in this country. You, Scott Brady, are just the man to rectify this travesty. :sombrero:

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur

I wouldn't read too much into it. I'd put money on the x-challenge questions stemming from a bit of moto-ADD. I don't think there is a serious contemplation between those two bikes.

:sombrero:

grahamfitter

Expedition Leader
I must admit I lust after the Triumph Tiger 800 XC but I'm inclined to wait for a couple of years for any wrinkles to be worked out and for the buzz -- and associated early adopter prices -- to quieten down.

(In the mean time I'll continue to slum it with the KLR which is actually a comfy all-day bike with a Sargent seat and bar risers.)

Scott Brady

Founder

Did you read my first post? I am deciding on which big AND small bikes to buy ;)

Did you read my first post? I am deciding on which big AND small bikes to buy ;)

I see that now myself. And after rereading my post, I probably sound like a jerk, and that wasn't my intent. :victory:

I say take a look at the 1200 if you can float the $$, and I would do much more research on the X-Challenge, I've read mixed reviews when I was looking for a new bike.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
I have spent a lot of time on a GSA and its a fantastic moto. The problem is in most cases you need help picking it up when loaded. Depending on the off-road conditions you need help picking it unload. I can tell you as a helper it takes it out of you after a few time. That in itself is why I ride a Dakar, not great at any one thing but good at everything and I can pick it up even loaded. It my seem I'm putting a lot of emphasis on picking up a bike but the reality is if you travel off road on a big bike you are going to drop it. I dont think anyone can tell you what you need its personal and what you are willing to give up. For me I love getting on a GSA on the open road almost as much as getting on a 230# dirt bike but I found my balance in a Dakar.

Best of luck on you choice.

ini88

Adventurer
I'd say stick with orange and go 690 or 990. the 690 is very smooth for a single. The 990 has loads of torque and isn't a big old hog like the 1200 is. Depends how much road/fire roads/dirt roads/off road you will be doing.

I'd rather have a smaller bike on the scenic route.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior