Time For a New ADV: Decisions, Decisions

Scott Brady

Founder
Finding a perfect compromise is much more difficult with a motorcycle than it is with a 4wd. That is just an unfortunate fact. A Rubicon Wrangler can drive 80mph on the highway, be loaded full of gear for a RTW trip and still cross some of the most technical terrain in the country.

With a motorcycle, there are huge variations in attributes, with a KTM 530 being a great technical terrain choice (still street legal) and the BMW1200 GSA being the perfect RTW exploration platform - They are just so different. There is not a single moto that can do it all, at least not with me as a rider. The closest I was able to find was the KTM 950, which is a fun bike to ride on the street and good on the dirt up to about the single-track level. I did ride the 950 on single track, but it was a huge effort and do you really want to be bouncing around a 550lb, $14,000 ADV off of the rocks?

I am also convinced that an ultra-light bike is just not fun to ride on the road - at all. They don't corner, they don't accelerate well, the get tossed all over the road and the seats are implements of torture. So my idea of building a 530 or 690 and riding it for days on end is out too. It looks good on paper, but would be about as fun as commuting on a unicycle.

So the decision has been made to get a smaller street legal dirt-bike to work on by riding skills and satisfy random wheelie urges, but make no attempt at turning it into a long-distance cruiser. Sure, a long weekend trip in AZ with a couple GL bags, but no thoughts of riding it to Montana.

That leads me to my ADV moto decision. I need to replace the KTM950 as it is well over 22,000 miles and I am just ready for a new bike with fuel injection. . . Something comfortable on the highway, good Jeep road performance (preferably a 21" front wheel), powerful motor, two-up capability and good aftermarket support.

I think this is my top three:
1. BMW 1200 GSA
bmw-r1200gs-adventure-06-1.jpg

I actually have a lot of time on these bikes and really love them. Not nearly as fun on the dirt, but they do seem to always get there. The dirt riding style is just so much different. Road performance would be a big benefit. Also, a lot of the friends I like to ride with have this bike, so advantages of spares and similar terrain performance.

2. Triumph Tiger 800xc
I like this bike, but know little about its performance and overall packaging. It is very new to the market. A good looking bike too.
Overview_Tiger_800XC_510x347.jpg

3. Yamaha Super Tenere
img.jpg

Probably would not get this bike, but it is worth discussing.

Outside chance: There is also an outside chance I would go with a KTM990 and built it more for road use, better saddle, taller screen, etc.

cnynrat

Expedition Leader
Just curious why the BMW F800GS isn't on your list? Seems to shift the performance balance more towards the dirt end of the spectrum compared to the 1200GS.

If it's the two up capability my recommendation has always been to get a second bike! ;)

bmwF800GS2.jpg

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
x2

I love my big 1150GS as a road traveler bike but it's sure is a tank. If I was buying now the 800GS would be considered.

Has Goodtimes convinced you otherwise? :)

Just curious why the BMW F800GS isn't on your list? Seems to shift the performance balance more towards the dirt end of the spectrum... Snip

Last edited:

Trail Monkey

Adventurer, Overland Certified OC0014
In my opinion and experience the r1200gs is significantly more capable on and Offroad than the f800gs.

If I had it to do over I would have skipped my 990 adventure and went to the r1200gsa first. Lesson learned.

I do feel the f800gs and the 950/990 Are great bikes but I only feel the ktms have a performance advantage in some cases over the r1200gs. Overall the r1200gsa is plain amazing.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
I was at the Pavillions Car Show in Scottsdale last Sat night and there was a 1200GS setup with an amazing farkle range :)
The guy & his female friend said they loved it 2 up on almost every surface and he said that while it is heavy he learned to ride it well in the rocks (he is your size Scott).

I got the impression he is out there most weekends as others knew him, and he had the ADVRIDER stickers on it so maybe he is a regular or would see your post there.

I was super impressed with all the boxes, tech gear and armor plating it was decked out with.
Of course the Ural nearby drew me away & held my attention :)

AFSOC

Explorer
I'm sure you'll end up getting a 1200GSA, good choice btw, but I can't wait to start seeing some XT1200Z Super Ténéré threads on ExPo.

:drool:

trailsurfer

Explorer
As Scott and Trail Monkey know, I have had both bikes at the same time, the F800GS and 1200GSA. And while both are great bikes, the 800 is just not as good off road as the 1200. And we aren't talking fire roads, this is from experience on both bikes in technical, sandy, rocky, and muddy terrain. I had the 800 for a year, and I just sold it, because every time I was on the 800, regardless of the conditions, I was wishing I was on my 1200GSA.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
This is very interesting to me and somewhat counter intuitive when thinking of the weight savings of the 800GS over the 1200GS. How much is the current weight difference?

So if weight savings doesn't help (or not enough) what makes the "R" bike so much better in the slow/rough stuff?

Is it the engine? I'd be surprised if it was the gearing, and a chain/sprocket bike like the 800 should be easy to re-gear?

It's nice to hear that the big pig GS bikes are still loved by those who know.

As Scott and Trail Monkey know, I have had both bikes at the same time, the F800GS and 1200GSA. And while both are great bikes, the 800 is just not as good off road as the 1200. snip...

trailsurfer

Explorer
The 1200 GSA is much better balanced and the ESA suspension is just fantastic and easily adjustable. The Enduro gearing that comes on the GSA is great for off road riding as well.

Now, with some significant mods to the F800, suspension, throttle, gearing, etc... I am sure the F800 would be better then it is stock off road. But then you will will never get the same comfort on road as you get with the 1200GSA.

I have ended up with a new 2011 GSA and a KTM 530 EXC for single track etc...

Scott Brady

Founder
I have quite a bit of riding time on the F800. I think purchase price would be the only advantage over the 1200 GSA IMHO. The F800 is slightly better in some dirt scenarios, mostly because of the 21" front wheel. I also think the F800 might be the only choice for riders with a shorter inseam.

My 950 is clearly a better bike overall in the dirt, but it needs to be ridden fast, which leaves me so far ahead of the BMWs that I wait for minutes at each stop. It is not that the 950 is so much more capable, it is just so much faster, which has benefits and liabilities, like when you do crash. I believe the 1200 GSA will go just about everywhere the 950 will go except up really steep hills and in sand. In those cases, the 1200 just doesn't work that well.

I have gone on the record saying that the 1200 GSA is the finest motorcycle I have ever ridden and it is just so much better than the KTM in so many other areas that the technical trail advantage of the 950 just doesn't seem worth it to me.

If the 1200 GSA had a 21" front wheel, this thread would have been titled Expeditions West's 1200 GSA Build Thread. . .

This is the F800 I have quite a few miles on
durango_DS_7.jpg

I also rode Brian D's F800 for a few miles on the dirt last year. His is pretty dialed and much better than stock.

This is the 1200 I have several rides on
durango_DS_23.jpg

And of course, my much loved KTM
KTM_950_%20(1).jpg

traveltoad

Aaron S
Are you feeling that the 950 is getting tired after only 22k? There are a few around with much higher mileage still kicking around. Or you are just wanting something different?

Scott Brady

Founder
Are you feeling that the 950 is getting tired after only 22k? There are a few around with much higher mileage still kicking around. Or you are just wanting something different?

It is a combination of both. This bike has only been used on long trips, with several through Baja with the previous owner, along with a trip to Alaska and back. I then rode it across the west on the TAT and then on another dozen longer trips.

It currently needs some work and I have some ideas for a long moto trip that would make me feel more comfortable on a newer bike.

And the other side of the equation is wanting a better highway and long-distance ADV. I will get a 530 or similar for the really technical stuff.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride

Okay, with that additional info I agree with others that have posted you will get a 1200 GS :sombrero:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan