An Axe - Seriously?

teotwaki

Excelsior!
And on the other hand on a recent trip the tire plug kits got used more than our sleeping bags :D My point being everyone has different needs and experiences and blanket 'checklists' are often counter-productive particularly when the list turns into a 'what not to pack'. Pack what you need, not what you read on a forum :sombrero:

more importantly, instead of sitting at home and reading the forum I was camping in Utah all last week. (even better)

That One Guy

Adventurer
IMG_8883.jpg
That looks like a tradgedy waiting to happen. Vehicular or otherwise. If one of those straps slipped, the vehicle attatched to the other one would be downrange...

Nonimouse

Cynical old bastard
That looks like a tradgedy waiting to happen. Vehicular or otherwise. If one of those straps slipped, the vehicle attatched to the other one would be downrange...

With you on that one big time. Bad enough what a shackle will do let alone an axe..

On the topic of axes and avoiding all in fighting or potentially harmful comments countries, states, towns etc; I fid and axe a very useful tool. I wouldn't be without one and I also have a useful collection. Few people in the UK know how to use an axe safely so they are less popular than in some countries. I'm lucky, I've been in the timber game for most my life so for me it's a tool. I keep my axes sharp and in good condition. I avoid storing them outside and I maintain them well; I also respect what can happen if you make a mistake.
Someone mentioned the making of a route round an imoveable obstacle - good point.
As for chainsaws - So much room needed, not only for the saw but all the kit that keeps your limbs attached and your ears and eyes working. Only a damn fool doesn't look after thier extremities...

On the Zombie front - mentioned before - I find a double headed felling axe is good for crowds, but a lighter Bhaco or maybe Oregon 1.5kg felling axe is better for self defence. For covert work, an Elwell 2.5 kg reduce the swing effort - or a slate axe maybe... Hatchets come into there own for long distance work as does a spiked chain mace if you happen to have one

Fireman78

Expedition Leader
An axe is fantasistic to slice kindling for your campfire! I never go anywhere without an axe. Zoombie bashing is a good use too. As far as the "bling" factor. I totally see your point... same thing can be said for a HI LIFT mounted on the hood of a Jeep. (IMHO).. That's just what I want in a front end collision/rollover, a 25 pound piece of hardened steel flying at 75 MPH at head level. I prefer to keep all my tools out of sight.

Last edited:

Paladin

Banned
I can clearly see that this tree is blocking your route. There is absolutely no way around it. Or were you just showing off?

You're right. I edited it out. Anything else you'd like to remind me?

If you admit you edited it out, then you must have seen it first. Why would you then need to ask a pointless inflamatory question?

Oh that's right, 80% of your posts are just trying to stir up trouble.

I find a double headed felling axe is good for crowds,

Have you ever used a double-headed axe for felling? I haven't. I was looking at a nice Gransford Bruks, such a lovely tool, but ultimately I think they're dangerous and more about bling than anything? I was under the impression they are really only for exhibitions and axe throwing competitions. Seriously, I'm wondering if they are usable for real work.

a spiked chain mace if you happen to have one

I had one of those for a short time. Picked it up as a souvenir in Austria. I declared it at Canada Customs when the plane landed, and they confiscated it. Apparently it's a prohibitted weapon in Canada. :rolleyes: I have a sword, large hammers, the Woodsman Pal, battery powered Sawzall, chainsaw, etc... but a morning star? That's not allowed sir!

Fireman78

Expedition Leader
I use several diffrent axes. The most expensive I own is a Gransfor Bruks axe. It is a great axe, or, was a great axe, the handle has split, not due to striking but I think due to the dry heat where I live, not really sure. I hate to admit it but the Fiskars Axe from Lowes is a better deal and mine has taken all sorts of abuse.

scarysharkface

Explorer
I use several diffrent axes. The most expensive I own is a Gransfor Bruks axe. It is a great axe, or, was a great axe, the handle has split, not due to striking but I think due to the dry heat where I live, not really sure. I hate to admit it but the Fiskars Axe from Lowes is a better deal and mine has taken all sorts of abuse.

+1 on the Fiskars, though I wish the head were twice as heavy.

Paladin

Banned
That's the reason I haven't bought a Fiskars. I haven't seen a felling axe weight model. The chopping axes seem more sized for limbing. And then they have splitting wedges. I haven't seen a good Fiskars felling axe yet.

I hate to admit it but the Fiskars Axe from Lowes is a better deal and mine has taken all sorts of abuse.

Thanks for being forthright on that. Hard to find people around here who will admit that spending more doesn't always give you a better product.

K2ZJ

Explorer
EDIT: Oh, you're Canadian...

Let's play nice, boys and girls! Please hold the name-calling.

Yeah, that is offensive, calling someone Canadian! :wings:

I have always been puzzled by the number of axes on rigs. I have not been on the trail and said "Man I wish I brought an axe!". It is like the high-lift I guess, some people say they are worthless, however where I wheel I have used mine several times and been very happy to have lugged it along. I am however seeing the appeal of an axe. Very multipurpose and handy. A folding bow saw would take up little room and be handy in most places I would guess.

eric1115

Adventurer
Have you ever used a double-headed axe for felling? I haven't. I was looking at a nice Gransford Bruks, such a lovely tool, but ultimately I think they're dangerous and more about bling than anything? I was under the impression they are really only for exhibitions and axe throwing competitions. Seriously, I'm wondering if they are usable for real work.

The double bit axes were traditionally sharpened differently for the two blades. One side would be very finely honed for fast chopping in clear grained wood, while the other would be a larger edge angle for better durability chopping knots, near the dirt, etc. That's my understanding, anyway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle