An Axe - Seriously?

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
I've had an axe and a shovel on all my rigs.

Basic pioneer tools that are indispensible in ANY environment.

Can't say the same about a hi-lift jack, having sold mine years ago, but I would consider a rig out in the "boonies" without an axe and a shovel to be unprepared.

It'd be like going out with out a spare tire, or a first aid kit.

JamesDowning

Explorer
I'll have to post agreement with the first post. I see way too many unused Axe's on people's roof racks. Though I admit, it does look COOL! :ylsmoke:

However I am not without cutting implements... I actually bring along a cordless DeWalt recip saw with a 12" blade. That thing will cut much faster than an axe... keep the charger in the truck, good to go!

And to whoever called out cutting through a 3' tree with an axe - I'd like to see that! Sounds like a strongman competition! :REExeSquatsHL1:

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
I'll have to post agreement with the first post. I see way too many unused Axe's on people's roof racks. Though I admit, it does look COOL! :ylsmoke:

However I am not without cutting implements... I actually bring along a cordless DeWalt recip saw with a 12" blade. That thing will cut much faster than an axe... keep the charger in the truck, good to go!

And to whoever called out cutting through a 3' tree with an axe - I'd like to see that! Sounds like a strongman competition! :REExeSquatsHL1:

I agree, it's easy to lump the ubiquitous(sp) axe and shovel as farkle because you see it on so many rigs that want the expo "look".

That's not enough for me, however, to want to dissuade anyone from carrying those two items.

For example, I've only used my spare tire once in 3 years of driving my jeep every single day. The arguement against carrying an axe could very well be applied to my spare tire, since out of 900+ days(24,000hours), I've used for about 30mins total. Nobody has a problem with spare tires, though, because car manufacturers put one in each car. Due to that, most people believe it to be essential. Assuming everyone else uses it with the same lack of frequency as I do, in reality, it could probably be deleted.

Here's my opinion of why the spare tire hasn't been "evolved out":
-takes up very little room
-uses up little of my GVWR
-is VERY good at solving a specific problem
-is cheap, forgettable zero maintenence insurance that I'll be able to un-strand myself, when I have such a need.

I see an axe and shovel in the same light for an overland/camping rig. :)

Blessings!

JamesDowning

Explorer
I think the big difference between an axe and a spare tire is the "severity factor".

When you have a flat tire, you either need a spare, or a plug kit or you are essentially stranded.

If there's a tree in the way, you can always turn around or try a different route. It doesn't immobilize you.

The Adam Blaster

Expedition Leader

It's not that hard, just takes a while. If it's hot out, a glass of water is required for completion. :D

As for axe vs. bow saw - I see the axe as more versatile. I got stuck in a frozen over mud pit when I broke through the top layer of ice, and the large chunks of ice got all mixed up in/around my front wheels and axle. One chunk was jammed in my driver's side wheel preventing me from turning.
I didn't have an axe with me that day, but this occurred in an Offroad Park and there were a lot of people/rigs around. One guy pulled out his axe and whacked away at the nice a bunch of times to break it up and allow me to get pulled out - I needed to get winched out and the ice was damming in front of me.

Also for storage, I would think a 36" bow saw would take up more space than an axe with a 36" handle.

Youngunner

Adventurer
The Pulaski or "P-tool" gets my vote. Renders a shovel obsolete for vehicle extraction and I don't need to dig a toilet pit anymore. Find an old BLM or F.S. head and a new handle, you're good to go.

I also carry a south american made machete.

--

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
I think the big difference between an axe and a spare tire is the "severity factor".

When you have a flat tire, you either need a spare, or a plug kit or you are essentially stranded.

If there's a tree in the way, you can always turn around or try a different route. It doesn't immobilize you.

You missed my point. I wasn't saying that an axe is required because it would keep you from being stranded.

...I was trying to state that when an overlander is facing with the task of turning a tree into small bits of wood(whether that tree is in my way or is going to help heat food to feed my kids), an axe is really the cheapest, simplest, most reliable, and easiest to pack of all the choices available.

Just like having a spare tire is the best way to solve having a flat primary tire...

Sorry if I was unclear! :snorkel:

YukonRob

Adventurer
Another vote for an axe. As others have said, I like the fact that it can pull double or triple duty. I've never had anyone question why I included it or give me funny looks when I used it as a hammer.

I did get funny looks last trip when I pulled out my rake. Although after four days in Baja it was the single most requested tool in the camp.:sombrero:

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Another vote for an axe. As others have said, I like the fact that it can pull double or triple duty. I've never had anyone question why I included it or give me funny looks when I used it as a hammer.

I did get funny looks last trip when I pulled out my rake. Although after four days in Baja it was the single most requested tool in the camp.:sombrero:

interesting!

What did you rake in baja? leaves? pine needles?

Paladin

Banned
Speaking of closed minds, maybe you missed the memo but Texas is not all desert and cactus, and we don't ride horses to work. :rolleyes: Never mind that I live adjacent to 675,000 acres of National Forest, well within hurricane and tornado country. Do share with us where you live, and I can make equally blind, uneducated, naive statements about your state and its terrain, climate, and topography. Or is there some other reason why you don't share that info in your profile? EDIT: Oh, you're Canadian...

I'm quite aware that Texas has forests. I can't however, understand how somebody who has ever been in a forest would think a chainsaw is a bad idea to carry, so I assume Texas forest must have some magical quality in which the trees never fall. That is why I stated you must not live in boreal forest. Which you don't.

With the work I do I'm often in the woods so my FJ stays packed most of the time. Adding a chainsaw to the mix 100% of the time would take up even more space and leave less space for people and other gear.

I only take the saw when I'm specifically going on a trail cleanup day prior to an organized event. However, it's not uncommon to clear a trail one weekend, and then by the next weekend, it's blocked again.

Otherwise, the axe is good enough.

I've got one of those and found the same thing, I have a large knife that cuts better. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

Oh, it cuts well. My thumb is evidence to that! They show a technique where you grasp the brush at the top with one hand, and use the hook to cut it at the base. Only it didn't cut, and slid up into my thumb... It was sharp enough the wound left no scar.

Can't say the same about a hi-lift jack, having sold mine years ago, but I would consider a rig out in the "boonies" without an axe and a shovel to be unprepared.

Yep, but I still see it way too often. I'm usually the only one out there with an axe. I've had people say "Well, I guess we have to turn around" "Oh, an axe? That'll take hours." 1 minute later "Ok, wow, that was fast."

And to whoever called out cutting through a 3' tree with an axe - I'd like to see that! Sounds like a strongman competition!

Nope, just time. (not me)

P1060448.JPG

What if the tree is between you and home? It's like the argument against snorkels "I just don't drive through rivers." Then you get out there, a storm comes in, flash flood, now there's a river where you crossed a dry bed on the way in.

The Pulaski or "P-tool" gets my vote. Renders a shovel obsolete for vehicle extraction

Maybe in some places. Not where I am.

BTW, here is the saw used to fell that same tree. Do you really want to carry that around? (And they still needed an axe to cut wedge out anyway)

P1060416.JPG

teotwaki

Excelsior!
I have a Fiskars/Gerber hatchet that sees a lot of use. Just last week in Utah south of Hiway 95 (east of Blanding) we had a lot of dead wood across a trail that was not used in a while.

Happy 4wheeling pix here:

For my trailer farkle I have a Harbor Freight axe with a bright yellow handle. It cost $12 on sale so if it gets UV damage or is stolen it is no big deal. :)

I do love my "bow-hack" hand saw for some uses but it is not as versatile a tool as the hatchet.

Steve F

Adventurer
Heaps of uses for an axe :Wow1:

IMG_8883.jpg

To keep it on track we have the opposite down here in Australia, if yu get found with a chainsaw in a national park you'll get fined, an axe is OK though.

Cheers
Steve

Ray Hyland

Expedition Leader
Hmm, am I the only one here who basically carries everything? I have a Pulaski and a Machete that live permanently inside the rover. The Pulaski is good for trenching, trail repairs, digging a latrine, and splitting firewood. If I am going to explore I always also carry a chainsaw for big stuff that falls on the road. And I have a little folding tree saw that is fantastic at cutting through arm-sized limbs above head-height.

I live in the mountains of BC, so we often are exploring on decommissioned logging roads, so there is sometimes a lot of growth to deal with. I find that having the right tool for each type of growth makes you less fatigued after a few hours of cutting, and having multiple tools also allows everyone in the truck to get out and help. So someone goes through first with the machete and removes all the irritating whippy stuff and the thorn bushes, others follow along with the other tools as appropriate.

I agree the chain saw is the fastest tool, and highly versatile, (I live near the chainsaw-carving capitol of the world) but I try not to use it unless I need to, as the sound carries a long way, and I try not to disturb others who are trying to enjoy the peace of the outdoors.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan