2009-11 G55 good overlander? Better than other current makes?: LR3/4, RR, LC

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
2,3,5,6 arnt performance issues. acceleration and how it does off road must be what scott is referring to.

When comparing A vs B and A beats B for example, one can say that A outperformed B. :)
I believe Scott was referring to more than vehicle "performance"(power, etc) in his post.
Let's let Scott respond. :costumed-smiley-007

haven

Expedition Leader
While we're talking about $100,000 overland vehicles available in USA, consider the Bremach T-Rex

Bremach-TRex.jpg

While the photos make the T-Rex look massive, it's smaller than a full-size USA pickup in all dimensions except height. The T-Rex is narrower than a Wrangler Unlimited. Engine options include gas, Cummins diesel, hybrid gas-electric, full electric, and CNG.

The T-Rex has a cargo capacity of about 7500 lbs. The company can build one with lighter springs if you don't need that capacity. The T-Rex is largely built to your specifications, so it can be as utilitarian or luxurious as you desire.

More information here
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/51633-Bremach-T-Rex-is-now-in-the-USA

zimm

Expedition Leader
When comparing A vs B and A beats B for example, one can say that A outperformed B. :)
I believe Scott was referring to more than vehicle "performance"(power, etc) in his post.
Let's let Scott respond. :costumed-smiley-007

one can say that. but its not a performance test in a car. a performance test in a car is how well it does what its designed to do on a track, albeit pavement or dirt. hence a 1987 cadillac brougham outperforms nothing. a test to see whether it or a similar town car causes children to vomit in the back seat quicker, is merely a comparison, not a performance test.

reece146

Automotive Artist
Offroad performance AS-IS (AEV Rubi only has f/r lockers correct?)?

The Jeep Rubicon has front and rear axle lockers and there is no differential in the transfer case. Once it is shifted to 4x4 mode the transfer case is "locked".

One way that the Mercedes does "out perform" the Jeep: it's not a nasty Chrysler product with cheap plastics and marginal electrics or structural design. The Mercedes is a much higher quality vehicle. Determining how much quality you require is something only you can resolve.

Scott Brady

Founder
I was simply speaking of performance.

Handling, technical terrain performance, high-speed performance, driveline durability, acceleration, fuel economy, approach, departure, break over.

Note: Yes, I have driven an AEV at speed on a closed road course (Arizona Proving Grounds), full limit-handling, drifting on pavement, acceleration testing, etc. We burned off a set of 35" BFG Muds in an afternoon. (note: full report and video coming soon)

Everyone wants to believe that their truck is the best at everything because it helps them justify the purchase. It is simply not possible. Everything is a compromise. The G55 is a 40yo vehicle design with a big motor. I love it - I love everything about it, but I also know its limitations. I also love a Defender, and would drive one every remaining day of my life with great pleasure, but the vehicle is seriously flawed. That is its charm. Sure, the 200 series looks great on paper and is reliable, blah, blah, blah, but it is just that - blah. Entirely uninspiring. An appliance IMHO. If you want the best toaster, buy the 200.

If you want something you can be a menace in, buy the the AEV. It will drive the Rubicon, Prichet, etc. and still run 100mph down the freeway with the seat heaters on and bluetooth linked-iPhone kicking. It will drift corners, smoke sport sedans and put the fear of god in old people.

The AEV is not perfect at everything, but it is certainly one of the best performance 4wds ever produced. The AEV on 35s with their Nth Degree will actually pull a higher skidpad than the stock vehicle!

If you want something unique and serious and stately and built like a tank, buy the G.

If you want to feel like every day is an expedition (it will be), buy the Defender.

Better than really doesn't matter, because you should buy what you like and who cares what all the web wheelers say.

Of course, just my opinion, for what it is worth ;)

haven

Expedition Leader
No need to explain the fatal attraction to Land Rovers. Just cue up U2, singing the "Vertigo" refrain,

"It's everything I wish I didn't know
Except you give me something i can feel...feeeeeeeeelll"

:elkgrin:

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
I have been wheeling and driving offroad for just at 40 years, have had all the trucks discussed here- except the T-rex, and had a few more, ie: H1, etc. For those same 40 years I have been trying to find that perfect vehicle(all around expedition/fun/wheeler/fun/practical/fun/etc) and have built several as well. Bottom line, as I have heard Scott say numerous times in person and print- drive what you like. I like them all for different reasons at different times. I loved my G- and my 130- and my JK (except the minivan motor)- and especially my Power Wagon. It is just life, and it is not infinite- get what 'feels' right, enjoy for as long as it does, then try again. We all are prudent and planners, etc or would not enjoy our outdoor endeavors- buy right, and low if possible, enjoy, sell high- if possible:) I can say with authority, there is no right universal answer to this plight...

Jwestpro

Explorer
If I may add a notable omission; what about a Land Cruiser 200? Or the Lexus if you must. It's got the size you seem to want, the on road luxury, and the off-road prowess in even stock form. Plus, its less than a G of the same model year, leaving a little more for special mods.

We are also considering the LC both used 100 and used/new 200 simply for durability and value plus the tow rating is higher. I could sport an "AMG" badge if I had to but not a "Lexus" badge.

Jwestpro

Explorer
....Everything is a compromise. The G55 is a 40yo vehicle design with a big motor. I love it - I love everything about it, but I also know its limitations. ...

Pretty much my thoughts and the only 2 issues I really have with it are my recent addiction to the "mpg" computer and what seems like such a crazy purchase price. The mpg actually supersedes the price because long, long term, the G will outlast my other "used for a while" vehicles. What's better to me is not having to bother with this process again later, i.e., spend the amount of a few vehicles one time up front and then get on with life again. However, aside from the actual $ cost of fuel, there is the growing feeling in my gut over how much fuel "we" all use, how far I can easily get on one tank, etc.

I am realizing the best solution along those lines is a veggie oil burning cummins, or similar...except I don't want a big truck yet :(

Jwestpro

Explorer
if hes over 5'10" and has sholders wider than a 9th grade girl, the 110 isnt for him. its fun, but it aint comphy.

the durability makes a used G the smart choice.

i would beware the HP, and id guess that a used AMG got hammered at some point.

300hp is more than ample for a truck this size. my 217hp 6 does just fine. . . . and it has almost 300,000 miles because of that. the original transmission was just rebuilt last winter. no AMG tranny is going to make it that long.

You are probably correct about the power, yet over the years, I somehow have grown to enjoy more power when desired, such as for passing/merging more quickly when fully loaded or built with winch, fuel, RTT, full fridge, bikes, etc, etc.

I was fine for 200,000 miles in my slow Disco I in addition to it's level of "comfort" and performance in any way you want to define that. I may never sell that DI either!

I'm 5-11 so the old Rover's are almost too tight for my legs but I'm a very fit 155 lbs so I don't require much on "width" ;) This is part of why I am not all that comfortable in the LR3. The G however feels like it was ergonomically designed for me personally.

Jwestpro

Explorer
... It is just life, and it is not infinite- get what 'feels' right, enjoy for as long as it does, then try again. We all are prudent and planners, etc or would not enjoy our outdoor endeavors- buy right, and low if possible, enjoy, sell high- if possible:) I can say with authority, there is no right universal answer to this plight...

No kidding. Good thoughts to consider.

I am realizing I would "feel" better about not blowing the toys budget on a single piece. Instead a used 08 might be the best compromise, and maybe in a year or so when those drop a bit more too.

If there really will be the next AMG engine, a twin turbo v8, in the G, then the previous models will show a nice hit due to being the "old" version on the general market.

More prudent may actually be G500 though, less parts like supercharger to maintain and enough power with much lower 'relative' purchase price.

Jwestpro

Explorer
and, now we have the added parameter of possibly wanting to tow an Airstream .... It may be simpler to split these duties or if combined, it helps narrow the field of choices we would like.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
More prudent may actually be G500 though, less parts like supercharger to maintain and enough power with much lower 'relative' purchase price.

Fully agreed. K.I.S.S. right? :ylsmoke:
The more complicated the rig, the less K.I.S.S.able it is.

otiswesty

Regular guy
G55K
Simply a G550 with added HP, lower and stiffer suspension, and some premium trim
Oh yeah, it has the old 5 speed instead of the new 7sp on the 550

Looks like you already have capable vehicles, that makes this looks like more of a luxury purchase. So buy the vehicle that provides the most driving satisfaction while still being offroad capable. Probably that will be the G55, I know I would if I could.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78