2009-11 G55 good overlander? Better than other current makes?: LR3/4, RR, LC

Jwestpro

Explorer
G55K
Simply a G550 with added HP, lower and stiffer suspension, and some premium trim
Oh yeah, it has the old 5 speed instead of the new 7sp on the 550

Looks like you already have capable vehicles, that makes this looks like more of a luxury purchase. So buy the vehicle that provides the most driving satisfaction while still being offroad capable. Probably that will be the G55, I know I would if I could.

I would not say the the G55k is "simply a G550 with added...." The engine is built by a due you could go meet ;) The transmission doesn't have the numerous complaints I've read about the 7 spd in the GL (it is the same 7 spd right?) and when I drove a 550, the low speed shifting felt very weird although the computer fuel mpg was darn good! The trim isn't really all that different accept for the alcantara (suede-like) headliner and the wider fender flares. The seats and important bits are essentially identical.

I do like the bigger brakes actually, as well as the torque. I've never found a time on my cross country trips where I thought to myself "gosh, I my car is really just too fast and quick to pass or stop hard" and that's with me driving some sweet fast cars (Audi S4 Avant V8 manual 6spd with APR full exhaust, BMW 535xiT 6 with Dinan software and exhaust. These cars really go and stop as desired) It may be that I am a little addicted now to the power and solid feeling of a German performance machine....

I do have 2 "capable vehicles, however the newer LR3 is going to be sold because it has never fit me right. The Discovery is also capable, but it's also a 100" wheelbase, less overall comfortable for 7000 mile trips (to me sort of but definitely to her) and it has it's own purpose on the east coast for work so it's difficult to "go get it" and if I did, then it wouldn't be there when I need it next time.

So, "luxury", maybe a little, I don't really think of the "luxury" aspects though as much as I like it's robust build quality. I mean, all I have to do is go open and shut the doors and I feel like I "need it now!" It only gets worse when I start it and hear the growl of the AMG built engine and exhaust.

I think I'm leaning mostly toward a 2008 now because of a few things: there is no tricky issue with the hitch construction although I know now I could simply have the Renntech/oem version welded on. The 08 has all the little things I do like such as the heated windscreen, backup camera, bluetooth, new instrument cluster but really, you can ad the windscreen to an 05 as well as a camera and even the newest 2011 "commend nav" is clunky. It ought to just be replaced with a cool ipad set-up or nothing at all but a good stereo.

I just got back from a nice afternoon 4 hour bike ride where things seem to clarify naturally. There are a whole list of other things in life more rewarding for the same expense of a new 2011 G55k! So there you have it, what a silly idea. Used G or no G!

Thanks for all the input everyone.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
I just got back from a nice afternoon 4 hour bike ride where things seem to clarify naturally. There are a whole list of other things in life more rewarding for the same expense of a new 2011 G55k! So there you have it, what a silly idea. Used G or no G!

Thanks for all the input everyone.

You see the light Jim!!!

I say used G500 or '55. Then bring it to Overland WA '12 so that I'm not the only G-Wagen present. :sombrero:

Jwestpro

Explorer
Ah yes, and I'll share the irony.... In 2006 as I was pining over an LR3 or a Land Cruiser, or a Range Rover, a good friend said "hey, have you ever looked at the MB G?" I didn't know what they were really, didn't see them around being in NC where there is a shortage of actors and the like ;) They were "cheaper" back then, a new G55k in 2005 would have been no problem for me. I was single, business was good, only had one car and it was paid off, low cost of living in that area, and cheap gas! Had I bought one, I would have loved it and most likely, never wondered what else there was because it just would have done what I needed it to do. It would have a couple hundred thousand miles on it by now. I would enjoy that I had it since new..... I'm like that, I do like that, they just cost too damn much now though and fuel will go to $5/g before too long and it will make me sick to spend $125+ to fill it.... how many times to go to the places I love?

zimm

Expedition Leader
You are probably correct about the power, yet over the years, I somehow have grown to enjoy more power when desired, such as for passing/merging more quickly when fully loaded or built with winch, fuel, RTT, full fridge, bikes, etc, etc.

I was fine for 200,000 miles in my slow Disco I in addition to it's level of "comfort" and performance in any way you want to define that. I may never sell that DI either!

I'm 5-11 so the old Rover's are almost too tight for my legs but I'm a very fit 155 lbs so I don't require much on "width" ;) This is part of why I am not all that comfortable in the LR3. The G however feels like it was ergonomically designed for me personally.

with those dimensions the world is your oyster. if you look like george clooney, you got it all.

cdm

Adventurer
Reliability over 200-300k miles(or km).. If you had to ask that question, a mercedes is not for you. Period.

These are computers requiring specific interface and all that to do just about anything on them. Specialty tools are the norm. Servicing this outside the dealer is generally impossible. As long as you know what you are getting into, its an awesome vehicle. Just pray it doesn't break somewhere you can't tow it to the nearest dealer.

If i would buy a G and use it as intended, it would be the base euro model before MY1995.

If i wanted to impress the valet at the local restaurant, well 2012 with all the loadout sounds nice.

Last edited:

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
These are computers requiring specific interface and all that to do just about anything on them. Specialty tools are the norm. Servicing this outside the dealer is generally impossible. As long as you know what you are getting into, its an awesome vehicle. Just pray it doesn't break somewhere you can't tow it to the nearest dealer.

Many specialty Euro shops have all the tools needed to work on these rigs. The M113 V8's are great!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman