Post up your drawer/storage system

Steve F

Adventurer
Finished the shelf for above the fridge, it attaches to the cargo barrier with hose clamps, it isn't going anywhere. I'll be adding a chain from the corners closest to the tailgate up to the child seat clip on the roof, I'll also add some turnbuckles to put a little tension on it to support it, it'll stop it making the cargo barrier flex at all and should be very solid. It'll be used for light but bulky stuff so I can make full use of the available space in the back :)

IMG_0712.jpg

The cutout on the shelf is to allow the pass thru hatch in the cargo barrier to still open. I also made the shelf short enough so the fridge lid can open ;) and I can reach the controls.

IMG_0715.jpg

IMG_0702.jpg

Cheers
Steve

Sock Puppet

Adventurer
Bronco Center Console

I just finished building a center console for my '96 Bronco. It has and aftermarket seat, which had a center seat section with fold-down back. I never planned on using it as a seat, and the "cup holders" were absolutely terrible. I wanted a higher arm rest, better cup holders, and more storage. I removed the center section, which exposed the seat bracket:

BroncoPics001.jpg

I built it out of 1"X12" boards and covered it with rubber-backed carpet from Lowes.

BroncoPics006.jpg

I used a two-cup adjustable cup holder from Autozone. I don't really drink canned soda while driving, so I made it to handle taller drinks (like water bottles), so shorter drinks won't be as comfortable to access while driving.

BroncoPics009-1.jpg

I used spring-loaded cabinet latches to keep the top snug, and used a 2" corner brace for the lock to engage. Obviously it wouldn't stand up to a serious attempt at theft, but it adds a measure of security, especially if I have the top removed on the Bronco:

BroncoPics012-1.jpg

I bolted it to the stock holes in the seat bracket. Of course I used grade 8 hardware as this is an Expo rig and anything less would seriously put my manhood in doubt:

BroncoPics017.jpg

I still need to add something more comfortable to the top for actual arm rests. I built it in such a way that adding a little extra height on each side will make it just right. Overall I'm quite pleased with it, and plan on using the same basic materials when I build my rear cargo storage platform:

BroncoPics013-1.jpg

BroncoPics016.jpg

I took these after dark and the flash really makes the carpet look light; it actually blends with the interior colors quite well. Actual interior dimensions are 16.5" long X 11" wide X 10.5" deep.

Last edited:

Accessory Man

I just finished building a center console for my '96 Bronco. It has and aftermarket seat, which had a center seat section with fold-down back. I never planned on using it as a seat, and the "cup holders" were absolutely terrible. I wanted a higher arm rest, better cup holders, and more storage. I removed the center section, which exposed the seat bracket:

BroncoPics001.jpg

I built it out of 1"X12" boards and covered it with rubber-backed carpet from Lowes.

BroncoPics006.jpg

I used a two-cup adjustable cup holder from Autozone. I don't really drink canned soda while driving, so I made it to handle taller drinks (like water bottles), so shorter drinks won't be as comfortable to access while driving.

BroncoPics009-1.jpg

I used spring-loaded cabinet latches to keep the top snug, and used a 2" corner brace for the lock to engage. Obviously it wouldn't stand up to a serious attempt at theft, but it adds a measure of security, especially if I have the top removed on the Bronco:

BroncoPics012-1.jpg

I bolted it to the stock holes in the seat bracket. Of course I used grade 8 hardware as this is an Expo rig and anything less would seriously put my manhood in doubt:

BroncoPics017.jpg

I still need to add something more comfortable to the top for actual arm rests. I built it in such a way that adding a little extra height on each side will make it just right. Overall I'm quite pleased with it, and plan on using the same basic materials when I build my rear cargo storage platform:

BroncoPics013-1.jpg

BroncoPics016.jpg

I took these after dark and the flash really makes the carpet look light; it actually blends with the interior colors quite well. Actual interior dimensions are 16.5" long X 11" wide X 10.5" deep.

NICE Console, here's the one I built for my bronco. I didnt have the manual 4x4 lever to contend with

dscn3591.jpg

dscn3592.jpg

dscn3598.jpg

dscn3602.jpg

dscn3603.jpg

dscn3604.jpg

dscn3605.jpg

dscn3611.jpg

dscn3613.jpg

dscn3614.jpg

dscn3618.jpg

dscn3619.jpg

dscn3620.jpg

dscn3683.jpg

dscn3684.jpg

dscn3685.jpg

dscn3687.jpg

I still have to build some sort of matching rear storage :)

Sock Puppet

Adventurer
Looks great, Accessory Man! I'll add some extras to mine over time, but I needed to get it done fairly quickly for a little trip this week.

Harald Hansen

Explorer
How are y'all securing your boxes to the floor? Specifically looking for Cherokee advice, but any advice helps.

My Disco has third row seating, and I use the brackets for those. I put u-bolts in the seat anchor points and secure them with rubber bands, and then I carefully lower the baseplate over these. A bit fiddly, but works well enough considering I only swap out the storage system a couple of times a year.

jeffryscott

2006 Rally Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
Never quite finished these when I had my 4Runner, now they find new life in my 2002 Trooper. Still not quite complete (herculiner is waiting and I am sorting out a couple of other minor details.) All my cooking gear fits in the drawer under the fridge, and the other drawer fits recovery gear and tools and other miscellaneous items.

Have two pull out table-type work surfaces under each drawer that are threaded to accept a photographers monopod for stability.

Attachments

• IMG_1658.jpg
    IMG_1658.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 476
  • IMG_1656.jpg
    IMG_1656.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 528
  • IMG_1655.jpg
    IMG_1655.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 421

targa88

Explorer
Pull out table top

Have two pull out table-type work surfaces under each drawer that are threaded to accept a photographers monopod for stability.

Like the idea of the pull out table top.
More details/pix of that set up would be appreciated.

TemboTusk

Rendezvous Con

Pull out tables are practical. I use mine all the time. The cutting board is the perfect place to foil wrap manifold burritos or pull up a camp chair and eat lunch.

I tie down my drawer system with a cam strap on each corner, holds the system down with no problem. If you want to pull out the drawer system, just loosen the straps.

Attachments

• Drawers & slide.jpg
    Drawers & slide.jpg
    409.3 KB · Views: 758

jeffryscott

2006 Rally Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
Like the idea of the pull out table top.
More details/pix of that set up would be appreciated.

The work surface sits in aluminum c-channel fitted beneath the main box and it simply slides in and out. I have a 1/4-inch threaded fitting at the end of each where I can use a monopod to give it a secure support. I used a pre made tabletop surface found at home depot.

I am anxious to give these a try to see how practical they really are, I have only had the drawers in for one overnight trip and the camp site was a fair bit removed from the truck, so I didn't use the truck as any sort of base.

ThomD

Explorer
My Disco has third row seating, and I use the brackets for those. I put u-bolts in the seat anchor points and secure them with rubber bands, and then I carefully lower the baseplate over these. A bit fiddly, but works well enough considering I only swap out the storage system a couple of times a year.

That's basically what I do with the LX470. J bolts to the various hard points that the 2nd and 3rd rows would bolt to.

TheGleam227

That's basically what I do with the LX470. J bolts to the various hard points that the 2nd and 3rd rows would bolt to.

Yeah, wish I had that option in the Cherokee. There are four tie-down points that I might be able to use...but my storage box I'm building will be sitting on top of them...so not sure yet. Also, not too sure how much I trust them!

ThomD

Explorer
Yeah, wish I had that option in the Cherokee. There are four tie-down points that I might be able to use...but my storage box I'm building will be sitting on top of them...so not sure yet. Also, not too sure how much I trust them!

I ended up putting in a complete subfloor. The floor is j bolted down and then cargo tracks provide tie downs for what I really want to secure. I never take the floor out.

GCRad1

Adventurer
TemboTusk Drawer System

Hello TemboTusk,

That drawer system you have looks really nice! Is that bamboo wood used for it?
Who is the mfg of that drawer system?
Do you have any detail shot of it close up and or with a drawer slighting opened?

thank you for sharing and lover your frig/slide out and down system!

TemboTusk

Rendezvous Con
Hello TemboTusk,

That drawer system you have looks really nice! Is that bamboo wood used for it?
Who is the mfg of that drawer system?
Do you have any detail shot of it close up and or with a drawer slighting opened?

thank you for sharing and lover your frig/slide out and down system!

Thanks GCRad1! Yes the wood is bamboo. I built the system for myself.

I see you are local; our Land Cruiser Cub is meeting on Sunday. Check out club link: www.socallandcruisers.com

01.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12