Water Storage

xpdishn

Adventurer
Awesome! In the first picture: at the left, is that a fill hose going to outside the vehicle?
I'm doing the same thing right now...building custom water tank out of ABS plastic.
Did you use polyurethane? Hot-air welded?
Looks very sweet.
Going custom is the only way to maximize water volume and minimize wasted storage space....

My tank is out of HDPE and yes it is hot-air welded. The welder and materials aren't cheap, but to pay someone to do this would not be cost effective.

No, that hose is the intake for the pump. Here is a pic of it going thru the bulkhead, with the pump directly behind the bulkhead (which of course one can't see):

0025.jpg

At the rear is the faucet with a swivel spout. Turn the spout, flip the on/off switch, flip the faucet handle and you have water. Here is a close up view:

0035.jpg

The other quick disconnect you see in this pic if for the shower. The shower head will have the on/off handle to be able to regulate water flow. Don't want to use too much water taking a shower.

This next pic is from the passenger side where I put in a water gauge to see how much water is in the tank. I will put graduation lines on it in the future. Not the best pic, but you get the idea.

0015.jpg

targa88

Explorer
Gary,
Masterpiece! The tank design looks brilliant. Master craftsman!

17 gallons sounds like good capacity.
I assume that the two black disk are to fill the tank?

xpdishn

Adventurer
Gary,
Masterpiece! The tank design looks brilliant. Master craftsman!

17 gallons sounds like good capacity.
I assume that the two black disk are to fill the tank?

Yes, those are lids. I have two because I put in 2 baffles and I have centered each lid over a baffle, giving me access to all 4 compartments. In the pic you can see the baffle and water pick-up line.

0053.jpg

I now have to take it out on some rough trails and see how it holds up.

It's not a masterpiece, but thanks.

Douglas S.

Adventurer
I use Scepter military water cans. Just have to make sure the lids are tight.

waterblue.jpg

Wyowanderer

Explorer
I use Scepter military water cans. Just have to make sure the lids are tight.

You can get a set of o-rings that will stop the dribbles. I forget who I bought mine from, but it kept me from ridding myself of the scepter because I had to tighten (and loosen) them dead tight.
Even with the dribbles many won't mind them, though.

rxinhed

Dirt Guy
Back in the day when I could drive my Raider, I used a 25-gallon water tank from a van conversion and a small electric SurFlow pump. I used the potable for drinking (of course) and to wash my hands in between visits to earthwork projects.

Wyowanderer

Explorer
I went to order a set of three for $3.95 but there is a minimum order of $10. So I ordered three sets of O rings to make the minimum and they wanted $16.95 for shipping!

Give them a call. I bought mine from them and had no problem with excessive shipping. They are great folks.

Thanks Greg for posting them up, I had forgotten where I got them and was too lazy to look it up.

Dirtytires

Explorer
This is a great thread.. Now for some questions.. I have a 16 gallons water tank I want to mount under a trailer. It will sit right in front of the axle. I have a steel protector plate for the front . That being said. How or what do I need to get the water from the tank to the sink? Any special hosing or spickets needed? Can I use a manual pump or would I have to have the power to pull the water up? Thanks. Craig

I use one of the cheap reliance containers. I don't want anything attached to the truck. Sometimes we are in the canoe or camp away from the truck.
IMG_2496.JPG

I didn't like the way the original spigot worked. So I added a bushing and a sink shut off. Flows much better. Instead of flipping the spigot around to use as cap I just screw in a threaded cap (not in the pic). Who wants a part you have been touching with dirty hands, inside your water tank?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears