Water Storage

postalWagon

Adventurer
3/8's inch petcock valve + ~1 yard of 3/8 x 1/2 inch tubing + a heavy 3/8 barbed fitting = a stoppable siphon for a NATO water can. I took the time and found that a siphon will drain a can in 5 min 30 seconds without the valve. The valve adds another five minutes to that. best of all it cost me about ten dollars to put together.
will post pictures when I get the chance.

LR Max

Local Oaf
Currently I'm using a swiss military water jug that I bought off of sportsmans guide. Considering how infrequently I need it, it works just fine. It is wider than a Wedco/jerry can style, so more stable. Or at least it feels like it. Also the small spout is great for refilling water bottles. I cut a plastic bag and tied it over the small spout to keep dust out of it.

Not fancy but works.

inelle

I have to agree, that is a very good solution and maximizes the space available too. Though it becomes some burden if you then decide to recline that layer of backrest. Or you could always push that a little further back just to give it some angle. I reckon that using a rectangular shaped one would also be good but occupies a bigger space and hinders some controlled shaped stuff to be placed in it.

TheAlmightySam

Adventurer
I posted this in my build thread, but perhaps it will be useful here too. I came up with this the other day, which uses a Scepter can, but it should be adaptable to whatever water container you like:

Adventurer
HI All,
As I read this thread I notice that not many folks mention how many gallons of water they either want to carry or actually do carry. Obviously these numbers will have a lot to with the type of carry system chosen.

Also, the type of expedition/camping trip envisioned is important. A trip across the Sahara is going to impose different water needs than a weekend camping trip.

Personally, I carry two 5 gal. Wedco blue water (Gerry) cans on my Jeep YJ Wrangler. This has proven more than adequate for my needs, even for a week long desert trip. Since they are mounted in special carriers on my top rack laying down with the long dimension pointing front to back, they are awkward to use unless you have a system that solves that problem. In my case, once filled the cans never leave the rack. To get to the water I use a self-priming siphon that works very well.

The cans, carriers, and siphons are available from Expedition Exchange.

Sparky

I've been kicking around a few ideas about PVC. I was thinking of running 3" under the bed rails of my truck. Which is unused space and with 3" can hold about 17.6 gallons. That being a crew cab bed, the three sides equaling 12 feet. The volume of the pipe being 4071.6 cu inches and water being 231 cu inches per gallon. This is a great tool here for figuring volume http://www.mathopenref.com/cylindervolume.html

Now, my concern with 3" is that it is not "rated for pressure" and it is meant for sewer i.e. non-potable. The 2" at Lowes is rated for drinking water. Even thought they both say schedule 40. The same set up with 2" would hold 7.8 gallons which would be fine for a three day weekend.

TheAlmightySam

Adventurer
I've been kicking around a few ideas about PVC. I was thinking of running 3" under the bed rails of my truck. Which is unused space and with 3" can hold about 17.6 gallons. That being a crew cab bed, the three sides equaling 12 feet. The volume of the pipe being 4071.6 cu inches and water being 231 cu inches per gallon. This is a great tool here for figuring volume http://www.mathopenref.com/cylindervolume.html

Now, my concern with 3" is that it is not "rated for pressure" and it is meant for sewer i.e. non-potable. The 2" at Lowes is rated for drinking water. Even thought they both say schedule 40. The same set up with 2" would hold 7.8 gallons which would be fine for a three day weekend.

Me thinks your math is a bit off. 12' of 3" PVC comes to roughly 4.4 gallons, not 17.6. Looks like you plugged in 3" as the radius, when it should have been 1.5", an easy mistake to make.

It's still a reasonable amount of water storage, but at that volume, a jerry can is easier, IMO.

Last edited:
Yep, Sam you are exactly right. Four inch pipe may be a bit obtrusive, for said 7.8 gallons.

I use one of those blue tanks that I always push as far forward as I can in the bed for better weight distribution. Then of course it never fails you need some water for lunch and have to unpack half the truck. With a four door truck its hard to get any weight on the front axle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman