Thoughts for an Overlander in today's market? Suggestions?

Sid Post

Observer
First, I have been looking for a clean affordable (priced reasonably) Toyota Land Cruiser series 80 without luck for roughly the past year. I thought I would move on to a Jeep JLU Rubicon but, the dealers around me with used ones want more than a new one lists for and the new experience at the dealerships has not been good. I'm questioning Stellantis/Dodge-Jeep-Chrysler build quality and vision right now too.

This had me considering the new 2024 Land Cruiser which seems to be a new Tacoma derivative but, those are a long way off. I am not sold on the Turbo I-4 and NiMh battery system or waiting until 2025 for a vehicle. Toyota availability around me is pretty low as well.

What are the general pros and cons of something like a Nissan Frontier, Ford 'new' Bronco, or something like the Mazda CX-50 Meridian for general Overlanding and pulling a small travel trailer to reasonably remote places assuming available by early Spring next year?

At the local Nissan dealer I was unable to get a salesman to talk to me, I guess business was so good they didn't need mine. A New Ford Bronco seems to be unobtanium right now. The Subaru "Wilderness" doesn't do anything for me so, I looked at the Mazda CX-50 and the new Meridian model looks promising.

I am not really brand-focused beyond wanting a mainstream vehicle with good support in general. I also am very wary of things like Jeep's E-Torque as well. While I would prefer a Naturally aspirated V-6, it seems like Turbo I-4's are where the market is today.

What are the general thoughts today for a reasonably nimble overlander that is not a Rock Crawler but, reasonable for 4x4 trails and pulling a small travel trailer (Taxa Tiger Moth and similar) in National Forest areas and places like Death Valley? I want a reasonably low cost of ownership along with reasonable fuel economy (not ~14MPG on the highway).

What are the better options today for long Overland trips? For me, this means Alaska at some point and lots of travel in the upper MidWest and similar places through small towns and remote 'parks'.

At first, I think I'm crazy for thinking about a Mazda CX-50 Meridian but, then I remember all the crazy places I saw a Subaru of some sort in places I thought were a challenge for my Toyota Tundra when I lived in Arizona!

🚙 Thoughts?

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
How about a Ford Ranger? Checks every box other than it seems you want an SUV over a truck. 20 MPG easy, tows, great offroad, lots of aftermarket support.

Broncos are fantastic, they're still too new and cool to find a good deal on one.

I wont speak badly on a Frontier because the one time I was badly stuck, a frontier pulled me out. But Nissan in general leave a lot to be desired.

sam-aye-am

One thing I learned in my search for a flat towable but off road capable rig is that the turbo 4 in the Ranger is direct injection. Easier to control ping and therefore despite being a turbo, premium fuel is not required.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DCGibbs

Observer
If you own a Toyota Tundra, Why Not build that out? It can carry a 4Wheel Camper, you can add Werewolf Portals, Pedal Commander for better engine response, etc, etc. . . Where in Arizona do you live? Are you willing to fly to get an FZJ80 or 100 Series LC? There are several here in southern Idaho. Gibbs

Sid Post

Observer
If you own a Toyota Tundra, Why Not build that out? It can carry a 4Wheel Camper, you can add Werewolf Portals, Pedal Commander for better engine response, etc, etc. . . Where in Arizona do you live? Are you willing to fly to get an FZJ80 or 100 Series LC? There are several here in southern Idaho. Gibbs
The Tundra was worn out and disposed of due to excessive maintenance costs. I live in Texas with DFW being the closest airport.

Where do I find the Idaho Land Cruiser ads?

calicamper

Expedition Leader
The Tundra was worn out and disposed of due to excessive maintenance costs. I live in Texas with DFW being the closest airport.

As a former J80 owner they are old now and most are basically mechanic required ownership. Parts are challenging to find.

Nissan Frontier is a screaming deal Nissan is begging people to buy their stuff. They sell their cars to the worst credit rated people.

Mazda makes great light duty passenger vehicles. I wouldn’t get one for heavy loads and long trips as the suspension/ load carrying ability will be very disappointing. But if your packing light like a back packer and strictly doing pavement and graded roads it’s definitely a solid option.

The Frontier running the bullet proof v6 and 9spd AT is a serious piece of kit for the $

Sid Post

Observer
Nissan Frontier is a screaming deal Nissan is begging people to buy their stuff. They sell their cars to the worst credit rated people.
The Frontier running the bullet proof v6 and 9spd AT is a serious piece of kit for the $

I guess I need to go to Dallas or Houston to see one in person. The local dealer didn't even bother to have a salesman talk to me after spending 15 minutes in the showroom.

DCGibbs

Observer

Sid, go to Autotempest.com, Toyota, LandCruiser, National search, 1995 to 2015. There is one here in Boise, Several in greater Portland, Salt Lake City. Was your Tundra a 1st Gen? Gibbs

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I guess I need to go to Dallas or Houston to see one in person. The local dealer didn't even bother to have a salesman talk to me after spending 15 minutes in the showroom.
You probably looked too wealthy 😆😆
No seriously Nissan has suffered a serious black eye from its corporate management disaster lost a bunch of dealers and higher end buyers. They literally are the low man on the credit score vehicle seller right now. Getting rid of the horrific CVT in their flagship SUV Path finder should help tremendously to get customers back to the brand.

The Frontier isn’t exciting compared to the other modern midsized stuff. But the running gear is probably the most proven of any midsize sold today and the price point is a serious advantage over the other brands👍.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears