Thoughts for an Overlander in today's market? Suggestions?

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Seems the ZR2 at $62k is another city cowboy truck, you know, for that 32 year old attorney living in an apartment in Ft. Worth that has a small parking space and limited storage. He'll load it and mod it, wear his North Face jacket and go to the office, then head to Burning man for a week each year.

Often, I relate these "overlanding" rigs to cruising boats. First question is always; where are we going? From San Deago to the Marshal Islands I'd suggest sailing a 50+ footer, to Hawaii, I'd rather have a 40' catamaran. Going small has advantages, so does going bigger, the trick is finding the best one for you.

While the OP mentioned his intensions, the Northern plains, seems he's in wide open spaces. Why go with a compact, especially one that costs more than a full size truck? What's the advantage there? Sure isn't gas mileage.

For 40+ years I always thought I needed a motorsailor, (sailboats with bigger engines to motor on a cruise in a dead calm), but they usually don't motor or sail very well. It's a good thing I never bought one because I never needed to sail to the Marshal Islands or Hawaii. (They have airports!)

Where you're going helps answer other questions, but not entirely. What's the main goal, where to, what are other desired destinations, one vehicle isn't the best choice for all destinations or terrain.

Consider where most of your travel will be, that will be on pavement, streets, highways, not cliff facings. What's the mpg/range? How much fuel do you need and what's the payload. How long are you gone? Weekend or 3 months? What do you need to carry, (want to take), another payload question. To tow or not to tow or to tow sometimes and if so, what, another payload issue.

Yes, I'm rambling, if you're headed to the North Poll you might need bigger tires, it's a snow thing, otherwise, most trucks and SUVs can move on stock size tires, but, if you really need to look the part, check the aftermarket stores for toys and shoes that fit.

These "what should I get" threads follow the same line of postings, what's the favorite flavor this week, Lexus, Toyota, Jeep, Ford, Dodge, Chevy, Oddball, most seem to suggest the vehicle they drive, LOL!

85_Ranger4x4

Seems the ZR2 at $62k is another city cowboy truck, you know, for that 32 year old attorney living in an apartment in Ft. Worth that has a small parking space and limited storage. He'll load it and mod it, wear his North Face jacket and go to the office, then head to Burning man for a week each year.

Often, I relate these "overlanding" rigs to cruising boats. First question is always; where are we going? From San Deago to the Marshal Islands I'd suggest sailing a 50+ footer, to Hawaii, I'd rather have a 40' catamaran. Going small has advantages, so does going bigger, the trick is finding the best one for you.

While the OP mentioned his intensions, the Northern plains, seems he's in wide open spaces. Why go with a compact, especially one that costs more than a full size truck? What's the advantage there? Sure isn't gas mileage.

For 40+ years I always thought I needed a motorsailor, (sailboats with bigger engines to motor on a cruise in a dead calm), but they usually don't motor or sail very well. It's a good thing I never bought one because I never needed to sail to the Marshal Islands or Hawaii. (They have airports!)

Where you're going helps answer other questions, but not entirely. What's the main goal, where to, what are other desired destinations, one vehicle isn't the best choice for all destinations or terrain.

Consider where most of your travel will be, that will be on pavement, streets, highways, not cliff facings. What's the mpg/range? How much fuel do you need and what's the payload. How long are you gone? Weekend or 3 months? What do you need to carry, (want to take), another payload question. To tow or not to tow or to tow sometimes and if so, what, another payload issue.

Yes, I'm rambling, if you're headed to the North Poll you might need bigger tires, it's a snow thing, otherwise, most trucks and SUVs can move on stock size tires, but, if you really need to look the part, check the aftermarket stores for toys and shoes that fit.

These "what should I get" threads follow the same line of postings, what's the favorite flavor this week, Lexus, Toyota, Jeep, Ford, Dodge, Chevy, Oddball, most seem to suggest the vehicle they drive, LOL!

Like you say, it really depends on what one is doing.

I have been around the upper midwest some, I live in SW Iowa and have ventured to Ohio, Indiana, Kansas and Kentucky (and Texas) for offroading escapades with midsized vehicles.

I have yet to wish I had brought the F-150 that always gets left at home. Its an oil tanker on the trail compared to the Ranger or Bronco. Speaking of oil shipment, in the midwest there is a Casey's next to every Dollar General, range isn't a huge concern.

I dd the F-150, it is my tow pig and farm truck. It is not my first or even second pic for an offroader. For what I do even with the 30+gal fuel tank the other two in the fleet paddle badly it and I don't even really do much for technical stuff. Like a regular road trip though, F-150 is great.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12