OBI Dweller Review and Discussion

I have been told that OBI is selling factory direct. All you guys have demonstrated these trailers are generally well built and a great deal for handy folks who can fix issues especially priced under 30k.

Question is would you advice anyone to throw down on a 2024 D15 for 60k purchase directly from OBI?
Let's be honest: no trailer is perfect.

Because of that fact, if someone isn't handy or willing to learn, they probably shouldn't own any trailer, much less be taking it into the backcountry.

The obvious exceptions here are people wealthy enough to make a satellite phone call, write the check and be done with the problem.

AMMO461

Consider yourself lucky. It looks like they missed a couple of spots. :)

Anyone, know where to pick up a couple of those "triangle bolts" that help keep the roof down when collapsed ? The front driver side one has cracked.
Obi, will not return my email questions.

Thx,
Check here for replacement triangle roof latches: Check out their 200, 400, 500 and 700 series. one of them has to be an exact fit. They are located in Cincinnati OH.

Last edited:

Flettrich3

Re: Moving heater vent and capping old vent

I recently modified the heater vent by the bed. This mod was posted on the OBI Dweller USA Facebook site. It‘s very nice not to have hot air cooking my legs when I sleep !
Wow that looks great. I do not have Facebook to take a look on how to mod the vent. Can you point me to the parts and how to mod?

gendlert

Consider yourself lucky. It looks like they missed a couple of spots. :)

Anyone, know where to pick up a couple of those "triangle bolts" that help keep the roof down when collapsed ? The front driver side one has cracked.
Obi, will not return my email questions.

Thx,
You'll need to do some measurements on your own, but amazon definitely has some similar products. I think these are probably really close, but should at least get you pointed in the right direction.

Last edited:

LaBlaze

No substantial enough differences between MDC and OBi to make one 3 or 4 season and the other not.
Mdc has all heated tanks, water lines, I believe better insulation, etc. We need to winterize the dwellers or do our own modification for having all the tanks and water lines heated. We do a lot of winter campiny in 10degeees and below and would love to be able to utilize our tanks instead of having to shower using our joolca and a 5 gallong water jug. I know someone did that upgrade but I'm not sure how well it will work in 0 degree weather. If we had the money I'd get a bruder or Kimberly over mdc. Kimberly and bruders are 100% insulated for 4 seasons and true Australian campers.. one can dream *as I do a lottery scratch off ticket *... guess I'm sticking with OBI 🤣

Mdc has all heated tanks, water lines, I believe better insulation, etc. We need to winterize the dwellers or do our own modification for having all the tanks and water lines heated. We do a lot of winter campiny in 10degeees and below and would love to be able to utilize our tanks instead of having to shower using our joolca and a 5 gallong water jug. I know someone did that upgrade but I'm not sure how well it will work in 0 degree weather. If we had the money I'd get a bruder or Kimberly over mdc. Kimberly and bruders are 100% insulated for 4 seasons and true Australian campers.. one can dream *as I do a lottery scratch off ticket *... guess I'm sticking with OBI 🤣
You can purchase tank heating pads for the dweller on amazon. the only tricky thing is the diamond plate covering the tanks. I thought that was removable. But it actually has a purpose of supporting the tank. I just adhered the tank pads over the diamond plating. I am hoping the heat transfer will work out ok, since the heat pad is not directly mounted to the tank itself. I do not think the Dweller has any insulation. Nothing in the walls or ceiling either.

Last edited:
Insulation in Chinese built campers is all the same.

You can purchase tank heating pads for the dweller on amazon. the only tricky thing is the diamond plate covering the tanks. I thought that was removable. But it actually has a purpose of supporting the tank. I just adhered the tank pads over the diamond plating. I am hoping the heat transfer will work out ok, since the heat pad is not directly mounted to the tank itself. I do not think the Dweller has any insulation. Nothing in the walls or ceiling either.
There is not much insulation in the ceiling, but there definitely is in the walls.

Any concerns about brush or sticks or other off-road stuff grabbing the wiring for the heating pads, or even the pads themselves? I imagine they're probably in maybe the most vulnerable position for backcountry, unmaintained travel.

Any concerns about brush or sticks or other off-road stuff grabbing the wiring for the heating pads, or even the pads themselves? I imagine they're probably in maybe the most vulnerable position for backcountry, unmaintained travel.
Not really, the pads are flush mounted attached to the bottom of the tanks. As far as the wiring goes, I zip tied wires to water lines etc...
I ran the wires towards the back passenger side of trailer. Then I purchased a 12 volt inverter, to plug into the 12 volt cigarette style connector towards the backside of trailer and plugged the 110 wires from the heat pads to the inverter. Or , if you are by shore power you could plug directly into the 110 a/c power and not use the inverter. I'll take a few pics next time i am at trailer. I think it will work pretty slick though. Or at least I hope. :)

There is not much insulation in the ceiling, but there definitely is in the walls.
I never noticed any insulation in the walls. Good to know there is wall insulation though. When I replaced my ceiling lights, I did not notice any ceiling insulation. I just noticed about a 2" air gap between the interior ceiling and roof.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eclipse179