01-04 Tacoma Double Cab

Kaisen

Explorer
Hello everyone, I'm in the process of trying to find a DC Tacoma and am having a hard time locating anything worthwhile. I did look at one the other day and thought I would get your guys take on it. It's extremely clean and includes a warranty(not sure what is covered) The price seems high ($19,211) but here in Oregon 2001-2004 DC 4x4 Tacoma's are tough to locate in this condition. This rig is going to be my new daily driver(whopping 2 mile commute to my firehouse)/expo rig and I plan on keeping it for a long time. What do you guys think? Thanks for helping out.

http://www.wilsonvilletoyota.com/mobile/Photos/15748760/#&ui-state=dialog

Hey, I get it.....you want what you want.

For those of you out there who think rationally, and want to research what else you can get for $19,xxx....

2011 Chevrolet Silverado Crew Cab LT 4x4 - $19,900

This truck is within a couple hours of the Taco DC

Silverado Crew Cab vs Tacoma Double Cab

2011 vs 2004 (7 years newer)
118K miles vs 124K (LESS miles)
5.3L V8 vs 3.4L V6
Timing chain vs timing belt
6 speed automatic vs 4 speed automatic (two more gears)
315 horsepower vs 190 horsepower (125 more horsepower)
338 lb-ft torque vs 220 lb-ft torque (118 more lb-ft torque)
21 mpg highway vs 18 mpg highway (3 mpg better fuel economy)
38.7" rear leg room vs 33.7" rear leg room (5 inches more rear leg room)
65.4" rear hip room vs 50.8" rear hip room (15 inches more rear hip room)

YES.....I understand the Silverado is bigger. Compared to the current Tacoma Double Cab it's 6.3" wider (the width of my fist) and 20" longer with about a foot longer wheelbase......the Taco is 9/10th scale.

Are there really trails where a Taco will fit that a Silverado won't? Can I apply that same logic to justify $20K for a Jeep Cherokee XJ over a Tacoma? Or can I say, "I need a motorcycle for my expeditions because a Tacoma wouldn't be able to FIT down the trails I take!" At some point you decide that the 100% of the roads you do take (it's a daily driver) are more important than the 1% of trails you might take.

The rest of the time you enjoy more power, more room, better fuel economy, more creature comforts (power seat, dual climate control, remote start, iPod input, steering wheel controls, power pedals, power slider, sonar park assist, etc), and better safety (next-gen dual stage airbags, side torso airbags, head curtain airbags, stability management). But those things aren't important to a family, right?

Toyota tax must be worth it to the Koolaid segment of the automotive world. Frames rusting in half? Forgiveable.....still worth $20K. Horrific fuel economy with little power? Yeah, but the engines last FOREVER...except for that sludge thing on these we don't talk about. Oh, and timing belts and water pumps (and rollers and seals) that you'd better do every few years. But they're worth nearly DOUBLE what a similar year/miles domestic half ton crew is worth because it's EXPO CERTIFIED and it will fit through that trail I take daily with the two granite rock walls that are exactly 6ft apart!

JohnsD90

For those of you out there who think rationally, and want to research what else you can get for $19,xxx....

5.3L V8 vs 3.4L V6

YES.....I understand the Silverado is bigger. Compared to the current Tacoma Double Cab it's 6.3" wider (the width of my fist) and 20" longer with about a foot longer wheelbase......the Taco is 9/10th scale.

Are there really trails where a Taco will fit that a Silverado won't? Can I apply that same logic to justify $20K for a Jeep Cherokee XJ over a Tacoma? Or can I say, "I need a motorcycle for my expeditions because a Tacoma wouldn't be able to FIT down the trails I take!" At some point you decide that the 100% of the roads you do take (it's a daily driver) are more important than the 1% of trails you might take.

The rest of the time you enjoy more power, more room, better fuel economy, more creature comforts (power seat, dual climate control, remote start, iPod input, steering wheel controls, power pedals, power slider, sonar park assist, etc), and better safety (next-gen dual stage airbags, side torso airbags, head curtain airbags, stability management). But those things aren't important to a family, right?

Toyota tax must be worth it to the Koolaid segment of the automotive world. Frames rusting in half? Forgiveable.....still worth $20K. Horrific fuel economy with little power? Yeah, but the engines last FOREVER...except for that sludge thing on these we don't talk about. Oh, and timing belts and water pumps (and rollers and seals) that you'd better do every few years. But they're worth nearly DOUBLE what a similar year/miles domestic half ton crew is worth because it's EXPO CERTIFIED and it will fit through that trail I take daily with the two granite rock walls that are exactly 6ft apart!

3.4L is pretty bulletproof, non interference motor. I would never pay $20k for the the DC taco, but i also wouldnt buy a GM pickup, too much stuff that can fail on it. Much prefer a next gen taco, can probably be had for the same price too.

shmabs

Explorer
snip....

If you understand the above statement then why not stop there?

To the OP:

As others have mentioned, demand on the vehicle you are shopping dictates a higher price. People who own them realize that people want them and adjust their price accordingly.

I live in an area where toyota tax seems even higher than usual, with that being said, there are still good deals to be had. Patience and the ability to act fast is what will land you a good deal.

Kaisen

Explorer
If you understand the above statement then why not stop there?

The next sentence was:

There are some who are open minded enough to learn/discuss other choices that may help them avoid the illogical Toyota tax

Clutch

<---Pass

5.3L V8 vs 3.4L V6

You know there is more to life than looking at specs.

I was thinking about getting Chevy until a got a closer look at them, the generation you're talking about, is cheaply made. (I didn't want to believe Larry) I ried to like it, I really did, wasn't too impressed. My 1st gen Taco with 275,000 miles on it, feels tighter than the 2010 Chevy with 50K that I drove. The Taco is easier to whip around town, and on the trail. Can you make a full size go where the Taco goes, sure you can. Does the Chevy have more power, better capacity..sure it does. It just doesn't have the Toyota "feel" to it.

Like a Ford Econoline doesn't "feel like" an old VW Kombi....E-Series will do the job better...but it just isn't a VW. Perhaps engineers have no
heart, perhaps they don't "get it" I dunno...must be a sad life crunching numbers all day.

I didn't like the dash layout on the GM either, have been driving Toyotas for too long I guess...over 30 years now, much longer than they were considered "Expo Certified"

You do not need the biggest or the best truck. Who cares about money, as it is a fiat currency, and well fella, the last time I checked, we can spend Our hard earned fiat currency however we want. "This is my house, I can do damn well as I please" Take your calculator and shove it where the sun don't shine...

Just gotta love guys like you, that know what is best for everyone else. Do you even go off-road? Or outside even? Knowing that our fiat currency is based on faith, on emotion, must give you engineer types erectile dysfunction. (is that the problem!? LOL)

My underpowered expensive high mileage Tacoma did just fine pulling the kayaks to the lake yesterday. Went the speed limit to and fro...
...and hey, I got to shift my own gears too! Imagine that!

Last edited:

Kaisen

Explorer
Just giving you all something to think about. It was prefaced from the start with "I get it, you want what you want"

Some people, however, want simply what other people program them to want. Like here on Expo. The Tacoma is held up to the heavens as if you should hear a choir of angels.

In reality, the Taco is just another truck. Small, thirsty, underpowered, and lots of other faults that ALL trucks have.....everything is a compromise. If that's true, why would one pay a HUGE premium for a ten year old "just a truck" with 124K miles? There's no need. Just want. You've all talked yourself into it.

As for the GM example, I could have just as easily swapped in a Ram or F150 or Titan or even current Tundra. Or if you like small and thirsty, a Frontier or Colorado/Canyon. All are about the same price for the same miles/year/features. It's really only the Taco DC that demands a ridiculous premium.

Specs are the only way to present unbiased data. You can't just say, "it's better, that's why". Without the facts, it's just opinion. It is fact that it's underpowered. It is fact that fuel economy sucks. It is fact that the size delta between a Taco and a full-size is smaller than most Expoers realize, and that the back seat of a Taco DC is smaller than a full-sizer's extended cab. And on and on....proveable stuff.

I've owned lots of 4x4s, including a super clean 1996 Tacoma Extended Cab 4 cylinder 5 speed 4x4 the same colors an topper as the DC in the ad. Sold it with 220K miles for $5500 in 2007 (iirc). So I know all of the good and bad, and I like Tacos just fine. I don't, however, put them on a pedestal and think they are the only (or best) tool for the job where I "must" pay what the market demands because I don't allow myself to look at my other choices. I sold mine, btw, because gas got expensive and the Taco (even though it was 4cylinder 5 spd) got horrible fuel economy for its utility, compared to other vehicles in my household at the time.

Best for everyone? Nope, just talking about the "have you considered?"..... if you've considered all of your other choices with open eyes and still see fit to spend a huge premium on an old Taco DC, then that's your business and your checkbook. Feel free to take out hundred dollar bills and burn them for all I care.

Clutch

<---Pass
Just giving you all something to think about. It was prefaced from the start with "I get it, you want what you want"

Nah, that is BS...I have feeling you're very unhappy person and want to make everyone else around you miserable.

Let the numbers be damned and spend money with reckless abandon! ha ha ha ha ha ha! Back to your slide rile mister!

Don't like Toyotas or Expo sheep...why do stay around anyway? Just gotta tell everyone how to live, right? Sorry you're a miserable person, seek help
if not for you, do it for us Toyota lovin' Expo lemmings...

Kaisen

Explorer
Don't like Toyotas or Expo sheep...why do stay around anyway?

I like Toyotas, I've owned several, I just don't bow to the alter and erect the shrine like some of you.

And yes, it's clear that some Expedition Portal members are really into the name brands of their gear over the job they actually perform.

I've got every right to be here, even if I don't share the same opinions. Perhaps a dissenting viewpoint will help. We can't all be followers.

If Expoers are sheep, I'm okay being the Black Sheep

climber-420

Adventurer
It's kinda funny to see 2 grown? men argue over a Taco. See what I did there.......Now smile, get in your vehicles, and drive to the middle of nowhere, and enjoy a beer.

austintaco

Explorer
Gentleman,

I have a very important announcement to make.

Kool-Aid.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle