02 Chevy 2500HD

chaos616

Adventurer
Hi,

Also agree what is said above about a few of the fixes, but in reality things you can address as you go along. I think if it were me with the IFS i would stick with what those guys were saying about beefing up steering, especially with larger tires. Thats what i would do first. I ran 33" pizza cutter tires (skinny) and i wore out a set of tie rod ends in about 9 months, they are small.

I don't think your reducing your ground clearance with those steps, and they look nice for getting in and out. The low point on these trucks has always been the frames, same on mine, so eventually if you get into some wheeling where you start to bottom out, you could always look at some armor in the form of skid plates, just don't copy my design unless you want your truck to weigh 9000 lbs.

Also love the ARB, i've got one too, and its quite a good bumper, bashed into a few rocks with mine and its held up well so far.

Finally, that's a slick looking truck, subtle with a good start on modifications, looking forward to see where you go with it!

Cheers,

Ehren

1stDeuce

Explorer
That is a purdy truck!! Looks just like an old work truck that I had and loved! Funny that someone thought you should pull the molding off, and I've thought about putting molding on mine to break up the lines a little... :)

I'm not into dual or triple shock setups unless you're using it as a pre-runner, but some people go for the look. If they're valved soft, then it should still ride ok. If they're just off-the shelf shocks, it'll ride like a lumberwagon, and you should ditch all the extras for a better ride.

I like those side steps. My guess is that M35A2 doesn't own a GM truck, or he'd know that they aren't even CLOSE to being a ground clearance concern... The frame of these truck hangs a good 10" below the body. Side steps/nerf bars are not going to hurt clearance one bit, but they do keep the errant Honda from destroying your rockers. :)

I would agree that the nose is cranked, and that's less than ideal. A truck should sit slightly nose low IMO, so when you put groceries in the bed, it levels out. I don't understand all the lifted trucks with the nose higher than the tail... Looks snooty to me. And since most don't know how to aim headlights anymore, the low beams are aimed at the sky... I give 'em the brights. :)

Get out and enjoy that thing!! :)

socalctcamper

Observer
Nice rig! What type of lift did you do? 3" or 4"? And can you provide info on the bumpers. I have a 99 Silverado NBS and I would like that rear bumper and also the front as well. Thanks

M35A2

Tinkerer
I like those side steps. My guess is that M35A2 doesn't own a GM truck, or he'd know that they aren't even CLOSE to being a ground clearance concern... The frame of these truck hangs a good 10" below the body. Side steps/nerf bars are not going to hurt clearance one bit, but they do keep the errant Honda from destroying your rockers. :)

I would agree that the nose is cranked, and that's less than ideal. A truck should sit slightly nose low IMO, so when you put groceries in the bed, it levels out.

My friend, you assume many facts not in evidence. You'll never win a trial like that.

I actually own several full-size GM truck vehicles, starting over 30 years ago, and am incredibly familiar with them both on- and off-road.

There is a big difference between smooth frame rails in the middle center of a truck and random protrusions sticking out past the rockers, especially on a long-wheelbase vehicle. I agree with you that the overall stance should not be nose high.

On your second point about carrying groceries, this is the Expedition Portal and discussion is typically about off-road capable vehicles. Your comment confirms that OP's truck as it appears in the photos in this thread looks like a mall crawler.

OP commented that he is interested in making his vehicle more off-road capable and good advice has been given so far.

Last edited:

Bojak

Adventurer
OP hasn't been back to ExPo since the first day of this thread.
I wondered if he had gotten run off as fast as he came or what. I hope not. I have always thought that this site was full of alot more positive feedback than others.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998