Jump to Latest
Unfollow
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

This old Rz
Registered
Joined 3 h ago · 1 Posts
Discussion Starter • #1 • 2 h ago
Hello all,
I have acquired a 2003 E350 extended cab 7.3.
had it in a diesel shop for a checkup they said everything was fine and it runs as it should.
( I do have up pipe leaks) diesel shop told me not to worry they all have leaks.
Mind you this is a commercial diesel shop farm equipment diesel trucks excetera not a performance shop.
She seems to run fairly normal to me.. best description is it "chugs along"..lol
My question is my 0 to 60 times are 14 seconds.
and then my 60 to 80 times are also 14 seconds. So I'm looking at 28 seconds to get to 80 which is probably 3xs slower than a Prius...lol
Diesel shop said that is normal these are not performance engines in any way shape or form however I've read hundreds and hundreds of post people talking about being quick etc I don't believe these things can ever be fast however it sure would be nice to go 0 to 60 not and 60-80 in a reasonable amount of time.
The van is completely 100% stock.
Is this pretty indicative of average performance?
I did have plans to do the following
1.) 4in turbo back exhaust, no muffler version.
2.) Stainless up pipes.
3.) Tow ONLY tune
4.) Trans valve body
5.) Mild Turbo upgrade or replacement.

NO ... Big injectors H- pop, etc..
Just want to keep it simple and reliable and fix some oil leaks, which I have not been able to pinpoint m
Diesel shop said they leak oil everywhere from every place that it's.... normal.
I'm not going to rag on the diesel shop like I said they do mostly farm equipment and commercial truck fleets...I'm aware that I should find and fix as many oil leaks as possible and the pipes I've already 4 degrees pipes they're sitting in my garage.
Please let me know what you guys think about those performance figures......ideally I'm not expecting much but honestly I would really like to see about a 9 second 0 to 60 I think that would be acceptable and realistic?
Let me know if I am off base any advice is welcome.
It is what it is if these things are really this slow no worries I'll just deal with it.
Thanks...

eblau

Adventurer
Yes they are rather slow in their stock form BUT lucky for you no one has messed with this van performance wise so you probably have a solid 7.3 with plenty of life left in it to do some upgrades to.

I can't comment on all of that stuff but one thing in particular is that shop telling you they leak from everywhere which is simply not true. In fact that would indicate that if its leaking that much oil there are several things that need addressed immediately, HPOP reseal, lines, turbo pedestal, oil cooler etc.... and may god have mercy on you if the oil pan is leaking!

Get it sealed up and running well stock then dip your toe in to finding more power, thats a cool van and should reward you with years if not decades of service.

D

Deleted member 9101

The 7.3 is a lot of things...but fast isn't one of them...lol.

5spd97

I think that your diesel shop is giving you pretty straight advice. The 7.3 is slow and prone to oil and fuel leaks. I have a 2003 E350 box truck with the 7.3 and I love it but I've conceded that it will never be quick. I have replaced the up pipes which was a relatively easy job, and done the fuel bowl/line o-ring replacement which reduced the driveway cleanup interval. The leaking up pipes also contribute to interior noise which is another issue. I rarely drive my truck when its not fully loaded and towing a small car so its no doubt a good bit heavier and slower than a standard van. Common oil leaks are found at the oil cooler, CPS, HiPop, valve covers, dip stick, and a few other places. Leaks on top of the engine puddle in the valley and drain through a hole at the rear of the engine and look like a rear main seal leak. Ive learned to live with a stained driveway for now as replacing the valve cover gaskets looks to be a ********** of a job. Its still a great engine and a great vehicle.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater