'03 Tacoma Build

01tundra

Explorer
Got my spare mounted up today.

I took each of the holder arms off and bent the rear tabs flat, leaving the front at their factory position to keep the tire from moving forward toward the axle.

Bolted angle from the rear tabs to factory holes in the frame to stiffen everything up. Tire fits good now.

spare_zps107716af.jpg

01tundra

Explorer
A few better pictures of the Cooper's -

Attachments

• cooper1.jpg
    cooper1.jpg
    408.3 KB · Views: 108
  • cooper2.jpg
    cooper2.jpg
    358.9 KB · Views: 96
  • cooper3.jpg
    cooper3.jpg
    345.5 KB · Views: 98

01tundra

Explorer
No real updates, just driving and enjoying it's simplicity.

I do still love my Cooper S/T Maxx's, they continue to hold the title of "best all-around tire I've ever owned" :ylsmoke:.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride

I do still love my Cooper S/T Maxx's, they continue to hold the title of "best all-around tire I've ever owned" :ylsmoke:.

Best all-around tire ever is certainly worth sharing :)

mires

Adventurer

Glad to hear you're still loving the tires. I have the Cooper A/T3's now and while I like them, I will probably try out the S/T Maxx next time around in the same 235/85 you have. I saw you mentioned them weighing 45 lbs. I haven't been able to find that number anywhere. Did you get that weight directly from Cooper?

01tundra

Explorer
Where there's a will, there's a way......to haul 12' kayaks with a 5' Tacoma bed :sombrero:

We've been into white water paddling for a while and last week decided to pick up some SOT kayaks to be able to enjoy all the flat water that surrounds us.

Since I already had the bed of my truck set up with a Thule rack and Hull-A-Port cradles I wanted to be able to add to that so we could still carry our WW boats and also these new 12' SOT's.

We purchased a Lund hitch rack extender from Amazon. I used the bottom portion of the hitch extender and fabricated the top "Tee" portion, using some scrap steel tubing, Thule load bars and a spare set of folding mounts I had. All joints are bolted with Grade 8 bolts and also welded (I like to overdo things...)

We tested the rack out yesterday by driving 120 miles round trip to a paddling destination. The rack did really good, it also allows me full vision out the rear window and left my entire bed accessible for storage. I did add three additional straps to the boats from what's pictured, just to make me feel a little safer.

I also welded a few beads on the hitch portion to make it fit a little tighter in the receiver tube and minimize the rack from rocking.

kayak%201_zpskdxrty0y.jpg

kayak%20rack%205_zpshcivmogt.jpg

kayak%20rack%204_zpscpwdcz7m.jpg

kayak%20rack%201_zps65ax8izq.jpg

kayak%20rack%202_zpsdzdv7ejp.jpg

kayak%20rack%203_zpstkoacyvh.jpg

01tundra

Explorer
Got a little trail riding in while on vacation this past week in Blue Ridge, GA.

We were riding through Blairsville, GA when I remembered that Beasley Knob OHV area was nearby, so we decided to go check it out.

I forgot how wonderfully slick Georgia clay was, didn't take very long to refresh my memory.....

I attempted the first big hill with the rear locker on and 38 psi in my tires, not a very smart choice. After a couple failed attempts I dropped the air pressure to around 20 psi and found the rev limiter and finally clawed our way up. The hill was so steep that the engine would not pull it in 4 HI, which kind of surprised me. I really needed the wheel speed, but was forced to do it in 4 LO at redline instead.

The truck did really good, didn't push it much since we were riding alone.

Did finally get to try out my high clearance rear bumper (now sporting red GA clay) and the skid plates.

Beasley%20Knob%202_zps5mfoscrv.jpg

Beasley%20Knob%204_zpsm5z6tpjb.jpg

Beasley%20Knob%203_zpsukxsnqvq.jpg

Beasley%20Knob%201_zpspa2tghbk.jpg

Beasley%20Knob%205_zpsehgwc151.jpg

TwoTrack

Buy Once, Cry Once
Great looking truck, the hidden winch is awesome. This is the exact route I want to go with my Tundra.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12