04 Rubicon improvements for mild off road exploring.

SilicaRich

Wandering Inverted
Is that your orange Jeep in the Instagram posts? Nice! What roof rack is on it and how has it performed? Thanks

Indeed it is and thank you. It's a Gobi Ranger Rack and I love it. Haven't had an issue with it besides having to trim my rear bumper to accommodate the rear sway bars. It can carry 300lbs moving and 600lbs static and is foldable to accommodate hardtop removal. I will confidently argue that it's the best full cage roof rack available for TJs, however it comes at a premium price

some years ago i think in 2003 i had the opportunity to join a jeep jamboree trip across the rubicon it was with Mark Smith . WE rented jeep though the organization and drove them across the rubicon trail in stock form. The jeep you guessed a regular Jeep rubicon. You have one of the most capable stock vehicles ever built. Just get a winch and learn good technique and I seriously doubt that you will ever find your self where your Jeep can't go. You may not to but it won't be because of your Jeep

Bobzdar

Observer
some years ago i think in 2003 i had the opportunity to join a jeep jamboree trip across the rubicon it was with Mark Smith . WE rented jeep though the organization and drove them across the rubicon trail in stock form. The jeep you guessed a regular Jeep rubicon. You have one of the most capable stock vehicles ever built. Just get a winch and learn good technique and I seriously doubt that you will ever find your self where your Jeep can't go. You may not to but it won't be because of your Jeep

+1, for mild off-road you don't even need a rubicon...

KMG

Adventurer
I agree that the Jeep is far more capable off road than I am. I've added new tires, brakes, and an extended range fuel tank with skid plate. Bumpers ship Monday. Next is additional belly armor and a winch. That's it for upgrades. I want to see what a stock Rubicon with skid plates can do. This time around I want to spend time enjoying the country and not on building and repairing a vehicle. I guess I'm getting old.

SilicaRich

Wandering Inverted
I agree that the Jeep is far more capable off road than I am. I've added new tires, brakes, and an extended range fuel tank with skid plate. Bumpers ship Monday. Next is additional belly armor and a winch. That's it for upgrades. I want to see what a stock Rubicon with skid plates can do. This time around I want to spend time enjoying the country and not on building and repairing a vehicle. I guess I'm getting old.

That's the best way to do it. I've officially gotten mine close to semi-stock and where it is best for me from all the "upgrades" the previous owner did. Be prepared to have a stupid grin on your face as you walk right up some crazy obstacles

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I think I would add a SMALL spring lift to compensate for the weight of the bumpers. Other than that leave r alone! You will go most anywhere besides extreme trails with that rig! good score btw!

KMG

Adventurer
I didn't think about a small spring lift. Thanks. I decided not to install a body lift or a suspension system.
My speedometer is off with the stock size 245/75/16 tires. When I'm traveling 70 mph the speedo reads 74 mph. Is this a common issue? I tried the search option but didn't find any information. Thanks.

I would probably start with a high clearance/"tummy tuck" tcase slidplate before adding a suspension lift. And when/if you do add any lift you might start with a spring spacer first. I know many will disagree but I've yet to ride in a lifted short arm TJ that drives and rides as good as the OEM stuff when it's in good shape.

I'm curious to hear if your new gas tank solves the fuel spit up issues when filling. I have a 2006 LJ rubicon, the GM hose (which contains a little flapper check valve door in it) really made a big difference! I found it funny that this GM OEM hose on Amazon is mostly filled with reviews from Jeep owners and also listed the Jeep 4.0L OPDA in the "most people bought these together" add.

On my Jeep the speedometer reads about 2mph high at 70, relative to my odometer (accounting for tire size error).

Last edited:

AgentOrange76

Adventurer
My speedo reads about 4-6 mph high at 70, I'm on 31s. Like others have stated, you have arguably one of the most capable box stock vehicles ever made. Tummy tucks are fantastic (I wouldn't mind doing it to mine) but they get real pricey real quick. Mild suspension lifts will give you a little more room in the wheel wells after the added weight of the bumpers. Having just bought new tires you definitely would want to keep it small. I have 2 inch puck spacers and shocks to match, did it for under 200 bucks with a rebate, seems to work good. I second the oil pan skid, mine's dented pretty bad from crossing a tree. Let me know what you get and how you like it if you go that route. Pick up a cheap air compressor to air down and a tow strap. I will say, by far the best off road gadget I ever purchased is front swaybar disconnects. Makes an absolute world of a difference in terms of ride quality off road with the added bonus of 3-5 extra inches of suspension travel. They really do make the world of difference, if I could only suggest one modification that would be it. Best thing is, you can remove them for free (just requires tools) or even make your own quick disconnects using the stock links if you stay at stock height. I can gig up a thread if you'd like. If you decide to buy them, don't go cheap (ask me how I know....) JKS makes a solid product.

You can get caught up in mods all day long and spend a crapload of money getting it ready to go when in reality its ready right now. Go out there and see what the Jeep will do (they run the 'Con stock, its a beast) and learn what kind of terrain you enjoy driving and then you can gauge what might make your travels easier. Travel through dusty conditions often? A snorkel might be in your future. Cruise remote backroads at night often? Explore auxiliary lighting. Favorite fishing hole at the end of a boulder strewn road? Rock sliders and extra skids may be a quality investment. A winch is good insurance if you plan on going deep in the sticks without a buddy. If its mild wheeling, save the money for gas. Better yet, invest that 300 bucks you'd spend that next mod and invest it in an off road driving class. Driver experience will send an $800 Cherokee scrambling up boulders that leave $60k v8 ton swapped rock buggies scratching their heads. A driving class could be the difference between relying on a winch and never touching one. Use money you would spend on mods to go on a Jeep Jamboree. Do some sweet wheeling, meet some cool people and gain that experience all at once. Modding a vehicle really is half the fun, but don't let mods or the lack thereof keeping you from getting out there.

KMG

Adventurer
Off road park was a blast! One thing I learned is a stock Rubicon can go anywhere I will ever want to travel. AWESOME!!! Sorry, still pumped up about my Jeep.
The fuel tank install went well. No issues with fit. However I now have to limit the fuel nozzle to the slowest setting to fill without it clicking off due to back pressure.

IMG_1178.jpg
IMG_4316.jpg

Sorry for the poser picture. No more I promise.

Attachments

• IMG_1178.jpg
    IMG_1178.jpg
    549.7 KB · Views: 16

SilicaRich

Wandering Inverted
What the Hell! Why is there a second picture and up side down?

Because technology sucks lol

Good to see that you had a blast and the Jeep is working out for you. Might pull the hose a later time if it's really bothering you and make sure it doesn't have an unnecessary kink in it or something, but if it doesn't bother you that much I wouldn't worry about it. Out of curiosity, what offroad park did you go to?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears