05 Tacoma TRD Sport?

the reverend

Hey,
Just thought I would ask the experts... I'm looking for Tacomas right now and I found a 05 TRD Sport with 20,000 miles for $19,000. What I'm wondering is, should I hold out for a TRD Off Road or is the Sport ok for now since I'm not planning on doing any heavy duty off roading for a while. mostly it will just be driving rocky trails to get to camp sites up in the Uintas.
What do the experts think?

Thanks in advance and I can't tell you how much I've already learned from just lurkin around here.

andrew

Overland Hadley

on a journey
The Sport does not have a locker on the rear.

If you are okay with the limited slip that the Sport has, then it should work great.

Post up some pics if you buy it.

And, welcome to the Portal!

wagner_joe

Adventurer
I have an 05 Sport, I love it, though I have found with my 5-speed that I would've liked to have the locker especially while towing my trailer ! Only one "stuck" with the trailer and I had to do a lot of back and forth jockeying with the wheel to ensure with the Horizon that it was gonna go forward. It was a sandy area (Hurricane Lake in NV) but still, if I do the diff's I might get a rear ARB for my own "insurance". I bought mine with 12.5K miles and it now has 90K plus on it.. It's gonna be around for a while.... I've not said that in a while with my herd of vehicles.

Good luck and welcome to the Portal!!:smiley_drive:

Willman

Welcome to the ExPo!

My sister-in-law has that same truck....Very nice rig.....

Looking at my rig being a TRD......The only thing left is the stickers and the locker....

Sport model with some ARB lockers would be a nice package....

I like my TRD locker....But ARB's air lockers if i had the $$$$$$ is the way i would go!

Overall......Don't let the sport sticker kill the deal :)

HMR

Rendezvous Conspiracy
After 60k non-commuter miles and more offroad camping trips than I can count, I've never regretted purchasing the Sport. Any of the 4x4 Tacoma models will be a good choice for you.

Welcome to Expo!

Accrete

Explorer
My wife's daily driver is an 07 4x4 TRD Sport v6. We have done just about everything our local trails can dish up and we are very pleased with the rig.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior