05 tahoe starts in 2nd gear and dose not go in to od

98dango

Expedition Leader
So the better half says my truck has no power and the check engine light came on. Check the code its p0785 shift selionoid. I also drove it it starts in 2nd gear and shifts to 3rd but not 4th. The fluid is clean and every thing on the out side seems to be working right. I know the Tahoe is just jelious that i work on my 84 all the time and not it.

nc_tom

Check the grounds on that circuit. I had a similar problem in my truck and it was 100% electrical - a simple grounding issue. New ground straps all around and the thing is good as new.

98dango

Expedition Leader
Well the grounds all have good resistance and show good so I ordered the 1-2 shift selionid 21 bucks worth a short

dy_lon

Observer
Order both the 1-2 and 2-3 from amazon..They have te Delphi solenoids for about $14 each. If that doesnt work, take it to a decent shop and have them see what happens when te PCM is commanding shift.

kawamatt2

Its the 1-2 shift solenoid that went bad. There are only 2 solenoids in the trans. The 1-2 does the 1-2 shift (obviously) and the 3-4 shift. The 2-3 solenoid does the 2-3 shift and the 1-reverse shift. Might as well order both as dy_lon suggests since your going to be in there.

Careful when you pull the solenoids, they will have springs behind them that like to fly out and get lost in the garage.

98dango

Expedition Leader
I will have both in my hand at 8 am and we will see i watched the pcm it says secret open.

98dango

Expedition Leader
Well she is terminal the solenoid fixed the problem but I found much bigger problems. The fluid is clean some one changed it 2 weeks ago being nice. When I pulled the pan I would have had a great pan if it was gold but it was all silver so she is dead. The trans is junk she shifts but way way soft.

98dango

Expedition Leader
It had a power flush done according to the paper work i just got so the pan was not dropped. I have never had good luck with the power flush. If it just had the gray film I would not be to worried but the amount of mettel in the fluid knowing it was flushed has me not trusting this. If it was my dd I would just run it till she pukes but as its the wifes well She runs to billings 2 times a month by her self and all over doing inventories for Oreillys Auto Parts. We can get a reman for 800 her cost I can install it for free just am over dumping money in this pit. I cant have the wife in some thing I cant trust Im gone to much for that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78