06 100-series to 20 JLUR?

texascrane

Adventurer
I'm considering selling my '06 LX470 and buying a new JLUR. I've got about 153k miles on the cruiser. It seems like a stock Rubicon is about as or more capable that my built LX470 (slee front/rear + lift + 33s, winch, comms, etc). I don't do any serious wheeling, but I like being able to run mild to moderate trails and do some camping - think Black Gap at Big Bend, trails in Big Bend Ranch state park, or Schnebly Hill and other moderate trails around Sedona.

I'm thinking about selling the cruiser along with my daily driver and just consolidating down to one vehicle as both a daily driver and trail vehicle. My offroad mileage is pretty limited these days with 2 kids - maybe 1 or two trips per year out to Big Bend. I'll probably spend more time hauling mountain bikes around to local trails. I do need to be able to fit a rear facing car seat and a booster in the back.

I'm curious if anybody else has made the switch and if there's anything I should know about the new Wranglers.

GB_Willys_2014

Not exactly the same, but I too went from Toyota to Jeep; 00 Tundra TRD SR5 to a 14 JKUWW.

At the time, my Tundra had ~180k on it, and it was coming up on the major timing belt / water pump service.

The Jeep is better off-road. But, in terms of power delivery, the Toyota 4.7 v8 was a far better engine than the Jeep Pentastar. All that said, no regrets.

Although, if not for the frame rot, I would have kept the Tundra.

Not directly but I have owned both I had a 2000 cruiser 100 series lifted with 33s arb front bumper warn 10 k winch custom side rails 1.5 inch heavy duty steel tubing that ran from the arb bull bar to custom rock sliders and a swing away tire carrier. The other Aussie company. Name escapes me. I went with the 2000 because it still had the center locking diff and the rear locker. It was a very capable rig comfortable too. Started to have electrical. Issues = reliability problem. So I traded it in on a pig. Chevy 4dr. that didn’t last then eventually to a 2008;jkur and finally toa 2018 jlur Not not a direct line but pretty close the toy was very capable and it got looks with the bull bar and side bars.

Let me explain it this way. I was in the Sierra national forest. Up by Bass lake and waned to do some exploring and secure some solitude. Little did I know it was hunting season and the forest was packed I found this lake and thought well it shows a road to it so I went and drove up the “road”. Hey it showed up on the jeeps standard gps. Well turns out it was more of a boulder strewn stream bed with rocks 2 feet in diameter and trees all around. By the time I realized this I was in an area where a turn around was not an option and backing out .........er nope no way. So i pressed on getting out several times to walk and look at tire placement and I had my doubts that I would be able to get up it. However putting in in low using the rear locker once or twice and disconnecting the sway bar. And that Jeep just walked right up it no issues. A few oh crap what was that I banged on? Got up to the lake and the reward was solitude.... my conclusions were my jkur could have done but the jlur made it look much easier than it was. my 100 series very very doubtful without more body damage despite the side rails and sliders. my old hummer h3 ( running 35s) doubtful my lifted tacoma with rear locker nope. That pig Chevy truck. Would still be there .

Then I drove it out of there and 5 hours back to San Diego comfy . Is it as quiet as the land cruiser. Nope My. Jlur is a rag top. I lift. Has the stock. Winch almost ready bumpers a 10 k super winch EXP and runs 315 70 17 Bfgs no lift needed. Bottom line for me you can’t go wrong. But if you are a diesel guy. That might be a really good way to go or perhaps the gladiator. I love my Jlur. Heated leather seats and steering wheel 8.4 Uconnect with off-road pages a nifty little display. That tells forward and sideways angles. All the status of your drivetrain etc steel bumper package led lights high out put alternator premiered auxiliary switches for lights and a tow package. Hope that helps.

texascrane

Adventurer
Thanks for the input guys. I'm curious to see the MPG rating on the diesel engine when it gets released. I like my 100-series and I've had some great adventures with it. At the time I bought it (used) I think it was the best option on the market. But if I didn't own it already, and was looking at a vehicle today, I'm not sure it's what I would end up with.

We've got a nice 3-row SUV for non-offroad trips (Volvo XC90) so I think I'm OK with something a bit rougher around the edges. I also like the idea of driving something that can go more than 220 miles between fuel stops.

Last edited:

texascrane

Adventurer
My Landcruiser gets about 11-12 mpg. My assumption based on the EPA estimates is that a stock Rubicon does significantly better than that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998