06' 4Runner DIY Roof Rack

fla_cracker

Observer
So I'm on a budget and like building things so I decided to fabricate a roof rack for my 4Runner.

There are a couple of details that influenced my build. I wanted a rack that was a little stealth. No large rack that sticks up 5 miles from the roof. I also wanted a quiet rack, no wind noise for the misses to complain about. This rack is only going to be used for medium to light loads. Camping chairs, tent storage, canopy storage and the like.

I started by thinking that the rack should fit in between the factory rails. So after some measurement, It will be 39 inches wide and about 5'6" long. After some cutting and welding this is what I had.....

Add some 1/2 inch square tube cross bars, finished firring strips and some primer....

To finish a couple of coats of Rustoleum Bed Coating....

fla_cracker

Observer
Once all the coats of bedliner dried it's time to mount.

I used some nylon bushings and 3/8 unistrut nuts to mount to the factory rails.

And now the full perspective.....

So, I think I got what I was looking for. Low profile, no noise, light duty roof rack..... Hope you like it and helps anyone looking for something similar.

fla_cracker

Observer
Very nice job, is that strut bar

Yes. It is the small unistrut. For those not familiar, the outer frame is made of metal used for mounting electrical piping to concrete or sprinkler pipe to concrete.

furring strips? you used wood?

Yea, it wasn't my first choice. I was really wanting aluminum but cost and not finding exactly what I wanted pushed me to used wood. But...... if you ever go to an antique car show you will see lots of wood on luggage racks. The only difference is mine is not beautifully finished in resin, just coated in bedliner. Also I only used wood in the top pieces running front to back, The rest is all welded steel. We will see how it holds up. Good thing it was cheap........ .85 cents a piece

On a side note, the unistrut comes galvinized. This being said, I made sure I sanded all the areas prior to welding and worked in a well ventilated area. For those who don't know, burning of galvinization gives off toxic fumes, not to mention makes your welds really horrible.

Great Idea, I love the way it looks and im sure its going to work excellent. A few weeks ago I did something very similar with the top of a wooden crate, painted it, coated it, and now I load wood/chairs/tents an all other lightweight things on my handy rack. Enjoy the work you did, spend the $ you saved on gas and get out an go somewhere. :)

vanhornsky

Observer
Looks pretty good. I like hie you bolted it to the factory mounts. I am in the process of building a roof rack my self.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fla_cracker

Observer
Update on my rack.

Well it's been a year and it is still holding up quite well. I use it on a fairly regular basis for light loads. I have also used it a couple of times for a medium load during family vacations.

The things I would change.....

Instead of wood I would use more unistrut.
Maybe mount it about 1/2 inch higher.
Acid dip the entire rack before coating to remove the galvanizing.

Other than that, it is great.

tchughes

Observer
Thanks for the post on your rack build it was the inspiration I needed to build one myself. Great to hear it's held up well.

fla_cracker

Observer
Thanks for the post on your rack build it was the inspiration I needed to build one myself. Great to hear it's held up well.

Thank you and glad I could help get you started. Rack looks good too. I love a low profile rack, it leaves a nice clean look.

tchughes

Observer
Thank you and glad I could help get you started. Rack looks good too. I love a low profile rack, it leaves a nice clean look.

Thanks. I agree with you, I would like it a 1/2" higher and wish I had removed the galvanization so the paint would stick. I also used the 3/4" strut for cross members and wish I had used the 1.5".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle