'06 Dodge 2500 Steering Issues

chris_the_wrench

Fixer & Builder of Things
Hello all,

I have a 2006 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins. It has been upgraded w/ Thuren Coils, Carli Trackbar, Bilstein 5160 Shocks, Kore Bumpstops, Extended Swaybar Endlinks, BD diesel steering box brace, and a Bilstein 5100 Steering Dampener. It also has (4) new balljoints and front axle ujoints. I'm currently still running the 2006 style steering linkage, with stock sized tires(these will be swapped when I have some more cash).

While all these upgrades have greatly improved the overall feel of my truck I'm still chasing a few remaining clicks, that I think were previously hidden due to the whole front end being sloppy. The issue I'm having is at low speeds(especially going down a steep rough hill) I get some clicking feedback through the wheel when turning. I don't have any issues with death wobble at high speed, and it's more of an annoyance than anything. I've recently replaced the draglink to pitman arm section of the steering, because there was some excessive play in the joint and I didn't have the cash to do the whole 08.5+ steering settup and I was abit nervous reading about all the recalls on the new system. That resolved some of the issue, but not all of it. I've also notices that when turning the steering wheel the joints of the drag and center links pop up at certain places of the travel(almost like the linkage is binding due to the pitman arm being too high or not at the correct angle). Not like a loose nut, but within the joint. Even the brand new joint does it.

When I twist the steering shaft(coming from the steering wheel) before it goes into the steering gear box I can move it a fair amount( probably 1/8 turn) before the pitman arm starts to move. So I think there lies a good portion of the slop I'm feeling. So my plan is to replace the steering box w/ a Red Head and eventually get the 08.5+ steering upgrade with one of the Carli steering dampeners. Does that sound like a decent strategy?

My questions are(1) how much can I expect to twist the steering shaft going into the box before the pitman arm moves?(2) When going to the 08.5+ steering system that Source Automotive sells do I need a new pitman arm? I thought I read somewhere that with the longer coils the older stock pitman from the 2006(which I have) works better.(3)the steering shaft doesn't appear to have any play in it(to my surprise), however this maybe a good time to replace while it's all apart what are my options?

Thanks
-Chris

ExpoMike

Does this happen when you are stopped or if moving slowly?

Another place that is often overlooked is the steering shaft from the steering column and the box. It seems Dodge trucks get a little play in there which can cause some of the issues you talk about.

chris_the_wrench

It's really only noticeable when going slow. Are you suggesting the steering shaft above the steering gear box? I've twisted that guy several times from under the truck and I can't sense any play in there...

-Chris

ExpoMike

If it's only when going slow, it might be axle shaft u-joints (if 4x4) and/or unit bearings, which are known to wear out much quicker than they should.

D

Deleted member 12023

I had a similar clicking feeling in the steering wheel which I could feel in the brake pedals as well. Replaced my steering box with a Redhead and swapped my steering to the 99HD crossover set up and it went away. I have nice tight steering as well.:smiley_drive:

ExpoMike

Yeah, I have been hearing a lot of good things about the Redhead boxes. When I go to swap mine, like what I will end up with.

At first it's weird you would feel it through the brake pedal but then with a Hydroboost system, it plums the brakes and steering together so that made more sense.

blue dog

Adventurer
factorymoparparts.com

52122362AF Part number.

UPgrade tie rod assembly, best price. From what i know, the pitman arm is still used from your truck, you will need a new steering stabilizer mount.

D

Deleted member 12023

Thuren's crossover is also a good choice. The only reason I didn't go with it is that I am impatient and didn't want to wait for it. You also need to drill out the knuckles to 3/4".

Alltwistedup

Observer
I had a similar feeling in the steering wheel after some desert running had to replace all my steering as each piece was worn out. Still stock.

chris_the_wrench

Thuren's crossover is also a good choice. The only reason I didn't go with it is that I am impatient and didn't want to wait for it. You also need to drill out the knuckles to 3/4".

I was planning on going that way, but when I contacted Don he said his system doesn't work well with just 3" taller coils. That surprised me.

-Chris

D

Deleted member 12023

Huh...That's the first I've heard of not working with the 3" coils. I believe he has an updated drag link, you could try that and an 08.5+ tie rod.

GTABurnout

Explorer
I had this issue and solved it. Its the steering shaft. You may also feel it in the brake pedal assembly. Buy only a OEM one avoid the cheap aftermarket ones.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
I've got the upgraded suspension including the revised pitman arm and Don's coils. Everything's Kosher so far. Don may have something else up his sleeve for the 3rds, if Dodge's fix doesn't work for the tre snapping problem. The vast majority seem to be improper installation,but it would be nice if he developed some bombproof tre's or similiar.

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
Go to the 08.5 steering, and add Ram assist from PSC. I also did the Thuren links and track bar. I have a spare ported pump if you decide to go that way. I bought a new Dodge unit from PSC, then sent mine and had it ported as well for a spare, but don't need it. PM if interested

chris_the_wrench

Update

Well I've got an update on my steering clunking.

I was cruising the Cumminsforum a couple nights ago and found this message. The problem sounded very similar to mine, so yesterday afternoon I split my steering shaft in half and packed as much trailer bearing grease into the upper housing I could. Today I drove my truck a whole mess, and couldn't feel the clunk anymore. However the steering still feels abit squishy which I firmly feel is the stock steering box and 06 steering settup(to be changed out soon, I hope).

But I'm stoaked to have gotten rid of the clunk, apparently, it only took 20 minutes, and was basically free!!

-Chris

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger