06 Ford Econoline Utility Body 4x4

KDB

Hello! New to the forum. Long time lurker. I finally did it. Found the platform i've been looking for. I've had a pop up skamper and toyota truck combo, travel trailers, overland truck with hard top tent, etc but nothing has me quite as excited as this project. It's a bullet proofed 6.0 liter ford with 105k and storage to boot thanks to the Stahl utility body. Has anyone seen another van utility body conversion? I've looked but have yet to find one. Im extremely excited to hit the road with this beast needless to say. It's got the feel of a zombie response vehicle affectionately called Basecamp. It's currently in San Diego receiving it's conversion from Agile Offroad. Lots of modifications to come: solar using the Inergy kodiak and agm secondary battery, 400 watts of solar, darche 270 awning, custom aluminess roof rack, and modified Tiger Siberian bumper (which pairs with the vehicle very well), propex heater, upper rear sliding windows, ladder, etc etc. The interior will receive some work as well but will be a bit spartan and really utility driven. It's meant to be a live outside vehicle though interior accommodations will be quite comfortable. I see it as a large hybrid ute canopy vehicle. The horizontal door's located on the sides of the vehicle open up to the interior. All others are enclosed storage accessed from the outside only (for now). Nearly a queen sized bed (sleeping perpendicular, my trusty old ARB fridge, single burner stove, insulation and some kind of tight weave carpet on top of that. I'd love some basic insulation tips from anyone willing to provide a few. I'll dive more into that here on the forum when the time comes. Complete paint job will eventually follow but it may take me a bit to get that done. Here are a few before and in process pics.

Thanks to all who have shared on this forum. I look forward to continue learning and building out on my first expedition vehicle.

Attachments

• Basecamp1.JPG
    Basecamp1.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 234
  • IMG-4360.JPG
    IMG-4360.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 233
  • IMG-4365.JPG
    IMG-4365.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 235
  • IMG-4369.JPG
    IMG-4369.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 232

buellconvert

That's completely ************ and from the sounds of it will be even badasser... that's a word right? Can't wait to see the transformation!

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

Reactions: KDB

KDB

That's completely ************ and from the sounds of it will be even badasser... that's a word right? Can't wait to see the transformation!

Tx, buellconvert... I actually just sold my 96 buell S1 not too long ago. It was my third. Big Buell fan! Hopefully Erik will reinvent himself here again soon.

buellconvert

I've been quite the Buell fan myself for years, S1, M2 and a couple of xBs as well.

Reactions: KDB

KDB

Still up on the rack but should be down soon. I didn't get a chance to drive an Agile conversion prior to committing but i have no doubt that i'll be more than pleased. This pic really shows that long travel in these Agile conversions.

Attachments

• On the rack.jpg
    On the rack.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 153

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Pretty cool rig.

Id be leery about the weight of the body though. Pretty sure Stahl bodies are steel.

KDB

Heavy is fairly subjective and of course it all depends on how you intend to use the vehicle. Yes, the interior floor and lower section of the interior walls (from storage compartments down) are steel. But that's it. From the drawers up is all aluminum as are all the utility doors, rear doors, shelves, etc. The roof is rhino lined. Eventually i'll get some pics up of the interior as it starts to come together. Still fairly light for it's size (without much in it yet of course). I'd think it weights quite a bit less than an ambulance or slightly bigger box truck platform. I haven't scaled it yet but i don't think it'll be too heavy. I'll get some weights up on here as the build continues. Being an e350 platform it's still pretty nimble and the interior will be an 'ultralight' build out as well. I really enjoy backpacking/mountaineering, professionally and personally, and consider myself on the ultralight side. I intend to apply a lot of those principles towards this van as ive got a travel trailer that scratches the comfort itch for my gal and I. One thing i won't skip on is a good bed, however. Cut to fit 6" memory foam just under queen size. It will live right shelf height which essentially at the top of the storage compartments. In addition, i'm not going on the Rubicon here. Big Sur, Sierra, Baja, out of state road trip or two...mostly dirt road with some relatively minor 4x4'ing.

KDB

So on the fence regarding getting a poptop on this rig? Any thoughts? CCV said they could do it. My concern is their quality and customer service as of late. Has there been any change regarding that someone might share? MG metalworks ever bring a top to the market? As the van is already has some height to it perhaps a small hardtop might work as well. I'm 6' so a hardtop just over 6' would work perfectly. I"m not stuck on a pop top. Just something that can allow me to stand.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior