06 fuso fe over heating

kerry

Expedition Leader
Mine doesn't either but the engine in question does. I just looked at a picture of it on the internet and did a search. I didn't know there were such things.

kerry

Expedition Leader
Lacking a pyrometer, you could check the temperature of the turbo with a non-contact thermometer to check out boostin's hypothesis.

boostin

Adventurer
Once I get my truck back together that's my plan...I am having a radiator day of cleaning and fin straightening:)

DzlToy

Explorer
Sorry for the delay in posting the diagnosis, but things have been a bit mad the last few days. Apparently both the fan clutch and the EGR cooler were bad. The former could be stopped with two fingers with the engine hot and running, while the latter was full of coolant. Both have been remedied. If you would like info on removing your EGR for testing purposes, send me a PM and I will tell you what I did. No check engine lights, truck runs cool and has normal power, etc.

boostin

Adventurer
Sorry for the delay in posting the diagnosis, but things have been a bit mad the last few days. Apparently both the fan clutch and the EGR cooler were bad. The former could be stopped with two fingers with the engine hot and running, while the latter was full of coolant. Both have been remedied. If you would like info on removing your EGR for testing purposes, send me a PM and I will tell you what I did. No check engine lights, truck runs cool and has normal power, etc.

Did you replace the egr cooler?

Buckstopper

Adventurer
It must be the summer for overheating issues. My gauge has been climbing to the point of being pegged to the top while climbing long grades. It would also change if you turned anything on or off...AC or fan, etc. Checked everything mentioned in this thread and others and finally found that the ground cable end at the battery had cracked and was loose so not making a great connection. Replaced ground cables and problem appears to be solved.

I also had a conversation with Lance at Earth Cruiser when I was at Northwest Overland Rally in June and he said that "Fuso gauges are a bit wonky". Not sure the exact translation of "wonky" from Australian to US but I have to agree with him!

You might start there.

Buckstopper

Last edited:

kerry

Expedition Leader
My Mercedes 307d van had a really nice feature with the fan clutch. If the thermal/liquid part failed, it had a metal tab which could be pushed into place, locking the clutch to the hub and permanently engaging the fan until the clutch was replaced. Well engineered.

boostin

Adventurer
My Mercedes 307d van had a really nice feature with the fan clutch. If the thermal/liquid part failed, it had a metal tab which could be pushed into place, locking the clutch to the hub and permanently engaging the fan until the clutch was replaced. Well engineered.

That is impressive..I don't suspect fan clutch cause I can hear the fan and it never has problems in traffic just on the highway on any grade.

I ordered a new rad I had many bent fins so I will try that first.

DzlToy

Explorer
My fan was turning (visually) but when i put my hand on it, i could easily stop it. Im not advocating shoving your hand in a moving radiator but mine stopped very easily and stayed stopped.

boostin

Adventurer
My fan was turning (visually) but when i put my hand on it, i could easily stop it. Im not advocating shoving your hand in a moving radiator but mine stopped very easily and stayed stopped.

Did you replace your fan clutch?

I assume mine works cause I hear it and like I said is fine in traffic but I assume it would prob benefit from a new one.

DzlToy

Explorer
Drilled a hole in the hub and through bolted it for now and will stay that way until I get a few miles on it and makes sure everything else is resolved. A local dealer has one in stock for $320 shipped, but I think I can do better. It will get replaced here in the next few weeks.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
Drilled a hole in the hub and through bolted it for now and will stay that way until I get a few miles on it and makes sure everything else is resolved. A local dealer has one in stock for $320 shipped, but I think I can do better. It will get replaced here in the next few weeks.

Yikes, $320 for a fan clutch seems a bit heavy!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman