'06 GMC Quigly 4x4 3500 cargo van - SOLD

1stDeuce

Explorer
Update 6/2/17 - It just sold. And I told them the next one they are selling is spoken for. :)

First, the confession:
There is no link to another site. I do not own this van. Selling cars is not my business.
I am posting this for the company next door to my rented shop space. They've helped me out plenty of times, so I'm helping them out by posting it here
because I think this is where it will be most appreciated.

Next, some pictures:

More photos in a photobucket slideshow.

The good stuff:
2006 GMC 3500 4x4 extended length cargo van.
Quigly IFS 4x4 conversion
6.0L/4L80E trans/NV261 manual shift t-case
~275k miles, regular maintenance with records.
Dana 60 rear axle, I'll get the ratio tomorrow.
A/C works
Single CD radio works
New Mexico van, zero rust.
Rubber floor and seats/interior in great condition, aside from a few equipment mounting holes in the floor.
Paint decent, with just a few dings. It's white, so they don't really show.
Full length tinted windows on the pass side. No windows on the driver's side. Excellent setup for a camper conversion!

The not so good stuff:
The oil pressure is low at idle once it warms up. They say it's always shown low oil pressure at idle, even when it was new, but for some time now the "check gauges" light has been coming on after it warms up if you let it idle. When I took pictures last week, I could hear the lifters clatter some at idle, so the pressure really is low. It was nearly time for an oil change anyway, so they did one and switched from 5W30 to 20W50 at my suggestion. Today I let it run for a while again. The engine sounds much better at idle now, but the check gauges light still comes on once it warms up fully, so I'm pretty sure there is still not much pressure at idle. Revving the engine even slightly will turn off the light, but it seems to stop climbing abruptly at 20psi at perhaps 1500rpm's. It starts/runs/drives fine, and there is no smoke at startup or under load. It's always had regular maintenance, and oil changes about every 4k miles.

The transfer case and rear axle are wet with ATF. They thought it was the rear output seal, and changed it, but after a cleaning, it seems to still be leaking. It has not been run low.

The windshield has a crack high on the pass side. It isn't in the driver's vision at all, nor the passenger's vision, really.

The rear quarter panel is bent at the bottom from the exhaust. Not really visible when you're standing next to it. The exhaust doesn't appear to ever touch it, but must have been mashed up at some point.

There is a patch plate where a hoist was installed through the roof. It has been sealed, and would be a good place for a 14" square vent. :)

There are two extra leaves in each rear spring. It's going to be stiff unless you pull the two extra leaves.

My thoughts:
You can't really look up a price on KBB... They are asking $4500, and I think that's in the ballpark. It would be worth quite a bit more without the oil pressure issue, IMO.
If we weren't building a house, I'd buy this van and turn it into an expo rig and get rid of my truck camper. Unfortunately, we just don't need another project right now.

Replacing the oil pump would probably do wonders for oil pressure. There is a high volume pump available, and that would be my choice, given the miles. Even without that, I would have no problem running this van across the country as it is.

I'm pretty sure the t-case leak is pump rub, which is not a difficult or expensive fix. There are several versions of plate that you install to stop the wear, and most just JB weld the hole in the case to stop the leak. I've not heard anyone who actually did that and then had further leaking. I'll get a better look tomorrow and confirm that's what it is.

The van is located in Farmington, NM.
If you have questions, please post them up and I'll get them answered. PM me if you're serious and I'll pass along your info. As I said, I'm trying to help them out, not generate a bunch of phone calls.

Hope someone can pick this thing up and turn it into a nice ExPo rig!!!

Last edited:

sackettmw

I'm interested in this van. I've been looking for an extended 3500 for a camper/hauler. Sent a pm with my contact info.

1stDeuce

Explorer
The RPO sticker shows GT4 axle ratio, which is 3.73. I don't see any other G codes, which means the Dana 60 has an open diff.

IMG_20170601_091043_128.jpg

sackettmw

The oil pump would probably bring the pressure up but I think he was suggesting it as a band aid. Probably has worn out cam bearings but I've seen some of these last a while with low oil pressure.

By the way, I'm still interested. Not sure if you got my pm.

1stDeuce

Explorer
After watching some youtube vids, I would imagine it would take four or so hours to replace the oil pump, plus the ~$150 cost of a high volume Melling pump.
If a person wanted to do it themselves, they're welcome to my shop and tools.

Sackettmw, I sent you an email. I asked the guy that was driving this van about heading out across the country with it and he said no problem, let's go!
:)

1stDeuce

Explorer
Sackettmw is the lucky new owner. I'm expecting we'll eventually see some buildout details in the ExPo Van section. :)

sackettmw

Right now I'm debating whether to ship or drive home. I'll post something in the van section once I get started on it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger