06 Montero Ltd Gen3 - is premium fuel necessary?

taybrynn

Just bought a new to me 06 Montero Limited (Gen 3) and it says on the fuel cap to use premium gas.

The vehicle is in great shape, but has high miles 172k ...

Is this a must do, a very good idea, or optional ?

Worth it? Not worth it?

Thoughts appreciated.

Scott

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Just bought a new to me 06 Montero Limited (Gen 3) and it says on the fuel cap to use premium gas.

The vehicle is in great shape, but has high miles 172k ...

Is this a must do, a very good idea, or optional ?

Worth it? Not worth it?

Thoughts appreciated.

Scott

Simple answer is yes. Complicated answer is that even if it was not "required" the vehicle runs better on premium due to less knock and more advanced timing, read up on it and you will learn a bit.

mudraider

Adventurer
You can get away with not running premium. That said, the computer will adjust timing to stop knocking, thereby lowering your power available. As was stated above, do a bit of research, you'll see why Premium is what is recommended.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

plh

Explorer
Premium is not required. It was a marketing ploy by Mitsubishi to add that label. There is no knock sensor on this engine. It was added for the 2007 MY which were not sold in USA.

Last edited:

Doing_Dirt

I can't imagine premium in the bush or jerry cans. Monteros (Pajeros) have been all over the world... I doubt premium was needed. ;)

DetroitDarin

Scratching a 10 year Itch
Remember, higher octance gas is harder to burn. (shrug) - the fuel itself is mislabelled as 'premium' as if the gasoline itself is somehow better. Seems lately octane is gold because adding some to a gallon of gas can change the price by $.50. Unreal.

As a weird thing/story - for my RX8, when I use 93octane fuel I get about 14mpg. When I use 87 I get about 17-18mpg. (shrug).

If you're not getting detonation, and if the ECU isn't advancing timing more than it would with 87 Octane, there isn't a lot to stress about. Maybe try midgrade and see how the truck runs?

coffeegoat

Adventurer
Premium is not required. It was a marketing ploy by Mitsubishi to add that label. There is no knock sensor on this engine. It was added for the 2007 MY which were not sold in USA.

Did they remove the knock sensor when they transitioned to the 3.8 engine? I know my 3.5 has it (2001), but I'm not terribly familiar with the 3.8.

I ran some experiments with my 3.5L and couldn't find any discernable difference between regular and premium, though on an older vehicle "plus" definitely made a difference. However, since then I've replaced the oxygen sensors and seen better mileage, so it may be reworth running the tests. You can do a couple of runs to determine if the improvement in mpg is worth the cost difference. Supposedly there would be a slight HP increase, but again, I didn't see any...

PajEvo

JDM Journeys
I run 91 in the PajEvo. It has higher compression than the regular non-mivec 3.5L and needs the higher AKI. Esp when it's just begging you to rev it.

But on our last 2003 3.8, I only used premium when towing, to eek every little bit of available power from it. Perceived or otherwise. ;)

I'm at altitude, so my 91 is equivalent to about 94 or so at sea level.

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
Pretty sure the 3.8 has a knock sensor but i don't own one anymore to check, but i run premium in all my machines even the ones that don't recommend it. When my homies get to drive my rigs they always comment on how solid and powerful they run, so consider that.

I can't imagine premium in the bush or jerry cans. Monteros (Pajeros) have been all over the world... I doubt premium was needed. ;)

The 3rd world didn't get these more powerful engines, most of the more developed countries didn't get the 3.8 until 2007 either. Having said that, they run just fine on regular (even the DOHC) but give it what it wants the majority of the time and it will serve you better longer.

Doing_Dirt

Pretty sure the 3.8 has a knock sensor but i don't own one anymore to check, but i run premium in all my machines even the ones that don't recommend it. When my homies get to drive my rigs they always comment on how solid and powerful they run, so consider that.

The 3rd world didn't get these more powerful engines, most of the more developed countries didn't get the 3.8 until 2007 either. Having said that, they run just fine on regular (even the DOHC) but give it what it wants the majority of the time and it will serve you better longer.
I notice the difference from our 87 vs 91 octane. I switch back and forth when I can really afford premium when its under $3.99/gallon.

Salonika

Monterror Pilot
I believe there are other ways besides the knock sensor for the ECM to detect knock. Can’t think of it right now but when it comes to me I’ll post it up. I think it can be seen with the crank-cam sensor data. Similar to detecting a misfire. I wouldn’t relate the absence of a knock sensor to determine what fuel you should run.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle