'06 Taco Advice Requested

Kougr

Let me preface this with "I've searched and read and read and searched."

I have a 2006 Tacoma Double Cab 4x4 TRD Off Road (TSB AAL done) and I'm close to needing new tires, so this seems like a good time to get some work done.

I'm a noob offroader so, to start off with, off-roading will be trail driving, starting out on novice+ trails and working my way up as I get more experience (read: I'm not ready for the Rubicon just yet). I eventually want to get to the point of doing some the trails I've seen on this website (Moab/So. Utah/Nevada/etc.), so I want to start out with a good basis to build upon as time (and $$) goes on.

I intend to carry up to four (4) adults in the truck (~800-900 lbs in the cab alone) plus some light gear and stuff in the back. The truck is primarily used as a daily driver to work.

Equipment-wise, here's what I've decided on adding so far:

Tires: BF Goodrich All-Terrain T/A KO- 265/75/R16 (31.8" tire)
Wheels: either stock TRDs or something like Allied Type 81 Soft 8 (16x8)
Bumper: ARB Front Bumper
Winch: WARN M8000 Winch

In looking at the various options on the lifts, I've seen quite the gamut of options. My budget for the lift is somewhere in the $750-$1,200 range. Here are some of the options I've looked at and what I've gleaned from reading:

Icon Vehicle Dyanmics - expensive
Toytec Ultimate Lift (Bilstein 5100s all around) - looks like an "easy" bolt-on solution, will it support the weight?
OME - looks like a little more work (spring compression)...

Question #1: what do all recommend for a lift?
Question #2: what is the optimal height I should be looking to add?

Thanks in advance...

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
Let me preface this with "I've searched and read and read and searched."

I have a 2006 Tacoma Double Cab 4x4 TRD Off Road (TSB AAL done) and I'm close to needing new tires, so this seems like a good time to get some work done.

I'm a noob offroader so, to start off with, off-roading will be trail driving, starting out on novice+ trails and working my way up as I get more experience (read: I'm not ready for the Rubicon just yet). I eventually want to get to the point of doing some the trails I've seen on this website (Moab/So. Utah/Nevada/etc.), so I want to start out with a good basis to build upon as time (and $$) goes on.

I intend to carry up to four (4) adults in the truck (~800-900 lbs in the cab alone) plus some light gear and stuff in the back. The truck is primarily used as a daily driver to work.

Equipment-wise, here's what I've decided on adding so far:

Tires: BF Goodrich All-Terrain T/A KO- 265/75/R16 (31.8" tire)
Wheels: either stock TRDs or something like Allied Type 81 Soft 8 (16x8)
Bumper: ARB Front Bumper
Winch: WARN M8000 Winch

In looking at the various options on the lifts, I've seen quite the gamut of options. My budget for the lift is somewhere in the $750-$1,200 range. Here are some of the options I've looked at and what I've gleaned from reading:

Icon Vehicle Dyanmics - expensive
Toytec Ultimate Lift (Bilstein 5100s all around) - looks like an "easy" bolt-on solution, will it support the weight?
OME - looks like a little more work (spring compression)...

Question #1: what do all recommend for a lift?
Question #2: what is the optimal height I should be looking to add?

Thanks in advance...

For your budget OME all the way.

slooowr6

Explorer
Based on you current setup and intend use, I agree with the above two posts. OME will fit your need. Just one thing you need to know before you pull the trigger. The Dakar leafs will give you 2.75" lift on the back. Some owners experienced vibration some don't and I've not read/seen a consensus yet on why or how to fix it that if there is a vib.

Cackalak Han

Explorer
First, I'd stick with the stock wheels for the 265/75's. Secondly, do you KNOW for sure that you will need an ARB Bumper, winch and a lift right now for the trails you're doing? If I were you, I'd go on a few of these trips first, then start with mods after that. I've had 3 other full grown adults in the truck and it was no problem. And mine's even smaller than yours.

I agree with getting tires right now, as the stock ones (Rugged Trail) are junk anyway. I've also got 32" BFG KO's (mine are 235/85/16's, though) and love them. The rest of the mods, wait on those for a bit. IMO.

Kougr

First, I'd stick with the stock wheels for the 265/75's. Secondly, do you KNOW for sure that you will need an ARB Bumper, winch and a lift right now for the trails you're doing? If I were you, I'd go on a few of these trips first, then start with mods after that. I've had 3 other full grown adults in the truck and it was no problem. And mine's even smaller than yours.

I agree with getting tires right now, as the stock ones (Rugged Trail) are junk anyway. I've also got 32" BFG KO's (mine are 235/85/16's, though) and love them. The rest of the mods, wait on those for a bit. IMO.

:Wow1:You must be channeling my wife...good points though--I might be better suited to save up my money...thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dgollman