'06 Xterra 4X4 OR 6spd

ccd8541

Sweet! Sounds like a great deal.

Most ditch the splash gurards before serious off roading or they tend to bottom and rip out and may cause damage.

ccd8541

david despain said:
:..it might pay to see if any local tyre shops will buy them from you and at least save you some money on a set of decent all terains.

Went to a MT about a month ago(post is up above) and glad I did.

Bergger

Explorer
bigreen505 said:
:luxhello: Congratulations! Hope you enjoy it.

On a side note, I can't believe you got such a screaming deal from Tynans. When I was looking they were the most expensive place in town by about $2,000 and totally unwilling to negotiate.

They could not have been better. Scott, the internet guy, gave me the price right up front. Also gave me a good deal on my trade. It was the easiest car I ever bought. When I emailed the guy at John Elway Nissan with Tynans quote he replied that I was wasting his time and he was not going to sell cars for minumum wage. This was after he "guaranteed" to beat Tynans price. His email was quite nasty so I made a little phone call to his boss and sent a copy of the email to Nissan. Anyway I'm really excited. I'll still us my Tacoma for more serious trails, since its all deck out for that, and use this for the milder stuff. The only mod I see myself making in the near future is a set of sliders. Know anyone who makes good sliders for the Xterra. This is my first Nissan so the whole after market scene is completely foreign to me. Tomorrow we'll be taking the Xterra to Estes Park for the weekend then Wednesday I'm taking her on a little overnight fishing/wheeling trip up to South Park.

Bergger

Explorer
ccd8541 said:
Went to a MT about a month ago(post is up above) and glad I did.

Yeah its nice that the tires are 265/75's but with the off road package I was disappointed in the "P" rated tire. Thought they should have thrown on some "LT" tires. My buddy just bought a new Tacoma TRD and yesterday I noticed has "P" rated tires on it as well!! I'll let the wife drive these around for a year then thrown on some good AT's.

articulate

Expedition Leader
Bergger said:
...The only mod I see myself making in the near future is a set of sliders. Know anyone who makes good sliders for the Xterra. This is my first Nissan so the whole after market scene is completely foreign to me.
Fantastic! To date, the only sliders immediately available (other than custom) are from Shrockworks. Don't fret. Even if there were others available, these would probably be at the top of the quality list anyway. They do spectacular work.

The commercial aftermarket is pretty thin for Nissan vehicles, but the popularity of the Titan and Xterra is changing things.

Here's to life!
:beer:

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
Bergger said:
Know anyone who makes good sliders for the Xterra. This is my first Nissan so the whole after market scene is completely foreign to me. Tomorrow we'll be taking the Xterra to Estes Park for the weekend then Wednesday I'm taking her on a little overnight fishing/wheeling trip up to South Park.

Basically anything that Jim Shrake (Shrockworks) makes is top quality. My only minor complaint is that he is willing to sacrifice just about everything for extreme durability, which tends to make his stuff a little heavier than others, but his products will never let you down and all the Xterra gear is top shelf. Very often AC will have Shrockworks stuff in stock where Jim will have to build it.

Automotive Customizers (http://www.4x4parts.com) in Florida is the place for all things Nissan, though they tend to lean pretty heavily toward rock crawlers, they buy new Nissans and build them up as personal vehicles, so you can be sure they test everything the sell on a daily basis. Mike and Jane run the show. Spencer Low Racing (www.spencerlowracing.com) and Total Chaos have some nifty stuff too, but AC carries TC now.

If you want to get rid of the P rated tires, BigO seemed more enthusiastic about it than Discount, for whatever that is worth.

Also, keep an eye on suspension component wear. The Xterra has the most frightening on-road handling of just about any car that I have driven, so be warned. The problem was the rear, not the front, but I don't know for sure if it was springs, shocks, tires or some combination of the above.

Ultimately enjoy it. Nissan struck a great balance of price/performance/durability with the new X.

As for the buying experience, John Elway/Autonation is just bad news. Find me any ten people in Denver and I bet between them they have 15 stories about Autonation. Tynan's, Peak Nissan and St. John Nissan (formerly Peak Nissan Broadway, formerly Goodman's, formerly Empire) are usually the places to go. When I talked to Scott in February he was not willing to go much of MSRP on anything.

Allahades

The Xterra has the most frightening on-road handling of just about any car that I have driven, so be warned.

Really? I'm curious what you're comparing it with, because I'd say the 2005+ Xterra has the best on-road handling of any truck I've ever driven. (Suspension and frame-wise, it's a truck, after all...:elkgrin: )

LexusAllTerrain

Expedition Leader
bigreen505 said:
Also, keep an eye on suspension component wear. The Xterra has the most frightening on-road handling of just about any car that I have driven, so be warned. The problem was the rear, not the front, but I don't know for sure if it was springs, shocks, tires or some combination of the above.

Wow! quite the opposite, I think the Xterra frontier have the best handling of any SUV in its class. Have you driven a Xterra lately?:rolleyes:

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
At the time a 1990 Pathfinder with about a 2" lift and more miles on it than many people drive in their lifetimes.

I took an exit ramp corner at more than 35 in the Pathfinder without much more than a slight chrirp of the driver side tire. Then did the same thing in the Xterra at 30 and the recovery took up lane and a half (most of my side of the road). Luckily there was no traffic. Think the salesman just about left a puddle. Again, I have no idea if was a tire, spring or shock issue.

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
Possibly. I won't pass judgement and the handling was not what stopped me from buying one, read my post again, I love them. Something about one of the ones I drove (I ultimately drove three, that day I drove two back to back to see if I liked the 5 speed or 6 speed better) had very solid and confidence inspiring handling (for a truck) below the limit, but gave no warning approaching the limit and was not too friendly when I crossed it. I have never had a car get away from me that quickly or unexpectedly on dry pavement before. Checking the tire pressure would have been a good idea, but I was so tired of the salesman and his high-pressure tactics that I just wanted to go home and take a shower under hot running Purel.

perterra

Adventurer
My 02 Xterra handles head and shoulders above my last YJ and CJ. Not as good offroad, but I'm able to drive it 800 miles in a day and hit the bed without hearing windnoise and roaring in my head. I would really like an 07, but it aint likely to happen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan