'07 tire options

SCRover

Adventurer
Just picked up an '07 LC for my wife and need some tires. checked tire rack and looks like there are about 13 options in OEM size - none of which appeal to me.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireS...8&sortCode=54456&skipOver=true&minSpeedRating

Was hoping for a BFG or GY (other than the Fortera) option, but to no avail. Anything else out there in 275/60/18? For now, the truck will remain stock, but it is/will be a regular traveler to the Sierras in winter.

Did a brief search and didn't find a discussion specific to this. If I missed it, sorry for the repeat query.

hoser

Explorer
There are a lot more choices if you go to a 275/65R18 which is a 32" tire (stock is 31"). There will be no problems with rubbing either. Also consider brands Tirerack doesn't carry like Toyo, Nitto, Cooper, etc.

SCRover

Adventurer
yeah, I figured i had other options, but didn't know if moving up a little in size would affect anything. i had a problem with my wife's Sequoia when we moved from a 70 to a 75 - issue with the VSC.

thanks.

hoser

Explorer
Many others have upsized to 33's and 35's with no VSC/ABS issues. Obviously there will be a slight hit on fuel economy.

rusty_tlc

Explorer
If you click on the optional tires for 18" rims on the Tire Rack site it comes up with 19 other choices. 285/60-18 which is about 31.5" in diameter. I'm running 285/75-16 (~ 33") on my truck with no problem. I have a slight lift but it looks like the tires would clear even on a stock truck.

FWIW I have had very good results with the stock Michelin all season tires living in Reno. I'm actually thinking on going back to them in an LTX A/T2 off road version. Our 100 sees very little back country travel any more, mostly highway with an occasional jaunt down a dirt road and once in a while a ski trip to Tahoe or over the hill to the Bay Area in winter.

Colonal Angus

Adventurer
SCRover, I'm putting 275/65r18 Nitto Terra Grapplers on my wifes '04 100. I had the same concerns as you...handling, fitment, etc. This was as close to stock as I wanted to go. I'll post pics later and report back about the NTG's road manners.

Do a search on the Terra Grappler...their definitely not the best looking AT tire out there (IMO) but they get 100% great feedback.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Here is some not 100% positive feedback on the Nitto TGs... You can buy mine cheap... They are not exactly awe inspiring in snow. If you want a onroad/snow/AT I personaly would stick with the BFG ATs. Not that the nittos are bad, BFGs are just more predictable in the white stuff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears