'08 Hunting/harvest report

Mercedesrover

Explorer
With the taking of Christopher's first deer I though we should start a thread of everyone's harvest this year. Mark, post those pictures again here and we'll keep it rolling through hunting season.

Here's my first one this year. Spike horn taken on a crop-damage permit in north-west Connecticut. Shot pretty close with Remington Model Seven in .243. Hope to have three more by the end of the year.

deer1.jpg

jim

lowenbrau

Explorer
I'm drawn for Antlered Mule deer and antlered whitetail but our season doesn't start until Nov 1. I hope to report back after then. I do have a freezer full of ducks but this is the best photo I have.

Attachments

• plucking.jpg
    plucking.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 103

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
Great idea, Jim! Here's Chris' deer agian and Allison's gobbler from this spring. I've been running around and "guiding" for the kidlins the last couple of years and haven't been doing any shooting myself. This year will mark the first time my wife, Michelle, will ever hunt so I'll be guiding for her this year also. Can't wait to start a "brag" thread on her first buck! We've got 6 deer tags this year and plan on filling them, fall turkey is coming up, goose is in. and I want another bear, we're all out of bear meat :( . Beef is an exotic meat in our house.

Attachments

• 100_1129ac.jpg
    100_1129ac.jpg
    194.3 KB · Views: 62
  • 100_1233ac.jpg
    100_1233ac.jpg
    261.2 KB · Views: 69

silvergrand

Adventurer
My archery seanson has been slow due to the standing corn and very thick indergrowth in my hunting grounds. They are working on the cutting the corn now and we will have a frost Sunday morning (?). Hopefully, the cutting of the corn will condense the deer and the frost will nock off the understory of the woods. I need them to be under 30yards for my long bow. Firearms doeasn't open until 11/15 here in Indiana. But soon thereafter waterfowl season starts!

fisher205

Explorer
Resident only Pheasant Opening: Sat- 3, Sun - 3 Mon - 2, & 3 grouse
Regular Season Opening: Sat - 3 & 2 grouse, Sun - 2. Could've filled but I've swore off road hunting. Staying home this weekend to finish some projects. - Brad

Dave

Explorer
Next week is one of the longest weeks of my year...the week before duck season opens. :mixed-smiley-030:

762X39

Explorer
I was up at the cottage last week-end (25 acres on Manitoulin Island) checking the bedding areas and tracks in anticipation of next months rifle hunt. I didn't leave empty handed and I did see some monster buck tracks that pass through an opening I can see from my stand.I can hardly wait.

Attachments

• IMG_0576 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_0576 (Medium).JPG
    109.2 KB · Views: 79

flywgn

Explorer
I took this bird last Monday, hung it (drawn, of course) until this morning, plucked it and finished the prep. We'll have it for dinner this evening with a nice, aged, Oregon pinot noir.

Bird season has been okay, not fabulous, but okay. We had doves the first two days of the season, and I froze a few, though they won't be as tasty later this winter. We've also eaten California quail, grouse, and duck, so we really shouldn't complain. The quail are plentiful this year, so we can look forward to a few more meals of them.

We're fortunate in that I have a farmer who allows me to harvest pigeons, and their meat is as good, if not better, than dove. The bonus is that there is no season, so it's just a question of deciding that tomorrow night's dinner will be pigeon.

I hope everyone else is enjoying wing-shooting this fall.

Allen R

Attachments

• 2008_1027MixedPix0007 (Small).JPG
    2008_1027MixedPix0007 (Small).JPG
    76.3 KB · Views: 53

Dave

Explorer
33 birds on Saturday (middle zone opener), 29 today. Mixed bags, including the rare black duck on Saturday. My uncles dog did great for her first hunt at our blind. I felt lazy not having to chase every downed bird.

Awesome weekend!

Mercedesrover

Explorer
2nd deer of the year. Taken on a land-owner permit here in Cornwall Ct. with a Marlin 336 in .35 Rem and Leverevolution ammo. Shot through the chest/neck in front of the front legs. Bolted about 100 feet before she dropped.

One more to go before the end of the year.

deer2.jpg

ccm00tacoma

Observer
Only thing I've really gotten to harvest this year......a bunch of unimportant things like work and school keep getting in the way.....
DSC00885.jpg

7wt

Expedition Leader
I haven't gotten the chance to get out this year but I am excited. I say a pheasant poking around a public hunting area I like to go walking in. What a pretty little guy. I have never taken a pheasant but I hope to change that this year.

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
Mercedesrover,

Are you satisfied with the Leverevolution ammo? I bought a bunch for the 30-30 but I've only killed paper so far.

The thing that kills me is I see like 20 deer every week in the State Park (no hunting). Heck, I almost hit a doe, fawn, and spike two days ago. Didn't see a single deer when I went hunting in the National Forest:elkgrin:

Oh well, I might get to do some turkey hunting soon:eatchicke

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78