08 Ranger

Bick1211

Hey everyone, very very new to the overlanding world. Started off building imports for car shows and for the past 5 years I have been secretly watching expo portal on the side lines and trying to learn as much as I could.

So, I am a sales manager of a Ford dealership and a gem come in, been looking for the perfect deal... Well I found it! 2008 Ranger with 45k miles, 4.0 manual. No rust no dents or scratches (for now) ... However I didn't research the ranger a ton before I bought it and now finding there isn't a ton of aftermarket support. But who cares the most needs are there :)

If you have a ranger built or in progress please link so I can read about yours! Mine will be a bit of a slower build but I will be overlanding in a few months! Anyone else from the Maine area?

Hard to find so far:
Snorkel
winch bumper/ rear metal fab bumper
Other options for lift kits other then Superlift.

13245421_10208230756318278_5936850925934502734_n.jpg
13244614_10208241474786233_5409703307388876659_n.jpg

colintrax

Check out explorerforum.com and rangerstation.com for some truck specific stuff.
You won't find much for these trucks, it's not a Toyota or Jeep so it's blacklisted in the offroad world. Check Rlc welding for bumpers.

4x4junkie

Explorer
Aside from the bumpers & body armor stuff, support for these trucks is actually relatively decent. You can get any locker your heart desires for the rear axle (and a No-Slip locker for the front), and gear ratios to as deep as 4.88:1, for example. Dual transfer case (crawler) units are out there too (probably something you won't need, but they're there... I have one in my Bronco II).

I would suggest investing in a welding outfit if you don't already have one. This makes the relative lack of body bolt-ons a complete nonissue (and not only can it get you stuff that fits YOUR needs exactly (not the needs of the masses), but you'd get it for a lot less buck too). MIG seems to be by far the easiest weld process to learn (within 20 minutes of sticking my first few pieces of metal together I was building an aux battery tray for mine, and it all went from there). You can also adapt bumpers and other stuff from other vehicle applications to yours too (I know many have used Cherokee XJ bumpers on Rangers pretty easily). However I do believe Warn's Trans4mer winch kit is one that is still available for the '98-'11 Rangers (retains the stock bumper).

×2 on www.therangerstation.com Lots of great tech there. And another vote for RLC welding too (I haven't used them myself, but I know they've been around for some time)

Here's a past thread on Rangers (probably missed it because the OP put it in the wrong forum)
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/115500-Calling-all-Ford-Rangers!

Welcome aboard :beer:

Bick1211

Thanks! I was talking with a few friends over the weekend they are jeep guys and alot of them said the same thing about welding, so I see this in my near future of something I need. Haven't researched the in depth details about cross referencing parts yet but alot to think about and thank you for the input and links!

RangeRunner17

Observer
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/136380-The-Money-Pit-Ford-Ranger

Here's a link to my ranger. About to take her up to Alaska in July!
As for a lift, the only option I found other than the Superlift was a long travel kit. QUITE a bit more expensive, especially for a 4x4. But it was worth it for the ride quality.

Second that on investing in some welding gear.
Also, I've seen that a snorkel for a 80's era Land Cruiser can be modified to fit the 98+ rangers.

livetoride21

Adventurer
Nice looking truck, and great starting point! As others have said, the aftermarket actually isn't too bad for these trucks, you just have-to look around a little harder than say a jeep. As far as bumpers there really isn't much to choose from, the one's I've seen are either way to bulky or to dainty for my taste.
Check out my build thread of my 02 ranger if you want some more inspiration! http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/135394-Project-quot-Danger-Ranger-quot

Bick1211

The wish list, I will start ordering this week

Fearce Off road front and rear bumper
Leer Cap
Racks
Tepui Ayer Tent
Superlift 4’’
Wheels (Unkown probably stay stock)
Tires (Dont know what a good size would be)
ARB Safari Snorkel (Apprently they have one in Aussie)
40’’ LED Bar 12’’ rear
Warn Winch

UltraHDGames

Adventurer
Nice to see other rangers on here and i really love the vista blue colour

If you don't want to do the superlift you can crank your t-bars and do some lift shackles and explorer leafs for about 2" lift and some extra payload, then you can easily squeeze a 33x10.50 and clear most off road objects
This is maxed t bars, belltech 6400 shackles and explorer leafs with 235/85r16s

Mines only a 2wd but if you can steal any ideas here's my thread
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/147399-2006-Mazda-B2300-Build-Thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dgollman