08 Tacoma clutch problems

Jedd

Observer
So, I've got an 08 with 6speed standard 72,000kms.
I've currently got my 3rd relase bearing squealing away(has been for about 10,000km's) so time for number 4. I don't ride the clutch and I dont rest my foot on the clutch pedal. So this is not caused by operator error.

The first 2 bearings went in the winter months when I was having problems with the clutch applying. When the temperatures reach -25C and below the clutch fluid thickins up so much that be -30 the clutch will barely apply after releasing the pedal. So I figured this may have been the problem, clutch holding up causing the release bearing to spin excessivly.

Now number 3 has failed in warmer weather, disproving my winter theory....

My Toyota dealer (actually a couple different dealers) has told me that this is not a common problem, and they can't offer me any answers but to keep changing the bearing. An answer needs to be found though, because even extended warrenty dosen't last forever.

Perhaps Toyota should put a grease nipple on the release bearing.......

My question is: Has anybody else had this problem? Did your dealer offer any answers?

ryguy

Adventurer
In my experience the 6-speed tacos have alot of trans problems. I've seen the same few come back to the dealership many times.

robert

Expedition Leader
There was a thread on TTORA about failed bearings a while back. Several people have had the same problem- luckily mine is still holding up (six speed also).

Ryber

I have the same problem with my 06 2.7 five speed.. So this problem isn't just with the six speeds

Jedd

Observer
Got my truck back today and it came with the same results / answers. Tech couldn't reproduce the problem, changed the bearing anyways, bla bla bla. I was talking with the service manager for a while this morning, took a look at the old bearing there was no noticable wear or cracking to it, spinning the bearing it still felt like new. I guess we'll wait and see what happens with bearing number 4.

To be continued......

abeaudin1971

Adventurer
I have an 09 2.7l 5 speed - I have 50,000km on it and it's never really felt 100% proper from a shifting perspective. My old 89 was far better. I'm going to keep my fingers crossed that I don't have the same issue.

Got my truck back today and it came with the same results / answers. Tech couldn't reproduce the problem, changed the bearing anyways, bla bla bla. I was talking with the service manager for a while this morning, took a look at the old bearing there was no noticable wear or cracking to it, spinning the bearing it still felt like new. I guess we'll wait and see what happens with bearing number 4.

To be continued......

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears