09' JKU Trailer Towing experience

schmugboy

Observer
So maybe it is just me, but my most recent experience towing a "light weight" trailer was very frustrating. It was a Livin' Lite - Camp Lite model, I believe the base model 11' and ~1500lbs. So I have been experimenting, trying to find a trailer that my jeep can tow. Last year I tried a fleetwood neon, that towed well enough, still barely able to get up to 70mph on I-25, but it was kind of small for a family of 4 and the wife gets/feels cold in the pop-ups. So I tried the hard sided camp lite. It tracked well, but I was challenged to get up to 65, and spent most of the trip at 60mph which on I-25 in NM is like suicide. Then getting up in the mountains, It was a struggle trying to keep it at 40-45 in 2nd. Just very depressing, considering my XJ never had a problem towing a pop-up or fully loaded uhauls at the same weight. So short story long, is it just me expecting to much from my vehicle, or something's amiss with my jeep. Now it is back to tent camping or finding another trailer option, to carry all of the gear and family (4 plus, just added a dog, so now there is less room). Was looking at a jumping jack, but that might prove to be to much for my jeep.
Are there any other ideas that won't cost me an arm and a leg.
If I've posted this in the wrong area, I apologize.

Thanks,

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
So maybe it is just me, but my most recent experience towing a "light weight" trailer was very frustrating. It was a Livin' Lite - Camp Lite model, I believe the base model 11' and ~1500lbs. So I have been experimenting, trying to find a trailer that my jeep can tow. Last year I tried a fleetwood neon, that towed well enough, still barely able to get up to 70mph on I-25, but it was kind of small for a family of 4 and the wife gets/feels cold in the pop-ups. So I tried the hard sided camp lite. It tracked well, but I was challenged to get up to 65, and spent most of the trip at 60mph which on I-25 in NM is like suicide. Then getting up in the mountains, It was a struggle trying to keep it at 40-45 in 2nd. Just very depressing, considering my XJ never had a problem towing a pop-up or fully loaded uhauls at the same weight. So short story long, is it just me expecting to much from my vehicle, or something's amiss with my jeep. Now it is back to tent camping or finding another trailer option, to carry all of the gear and family (4 plus, just added a dog, so now there is less room). Was looking at a jumping jack, but that might prove to be to much for my jeep.
Are there any other ideas that won't cost me an arm and a leg.
If I've posted this in the wrong area, I apologize.

Thanks,

What is "lightweight"? Seems that most of the larger trailer manufacturers consider lightweight to be any trailer they make that isn't a huge monstrosity. Some sort of open comparison.

If you are judging lightweight by what's on the spec sheet, or the VIN you'll have to think again, most of the specs will be for a base trailer, with no accessories, no water, and none of your personal belongings.

Pulling a trailer that fit's into the slipstream of your vehicle or has the same height profile as your vehicle has a huge effect on gas consumption and tow-able speed. Once the trailer sits outside these parameters expect large losses in both MPG and speed.

Fitted larger tires to your tow vehicle and not re-geared? Many of us have, and we get away with it until we try to tow a trailer. Expect lower towing speeds and difficulty negotiating inclines if you haven't re-geared.

My advise would be to:
Know the tow rating of your rig
Take the fully laden trailer over certified scales to find out what the real weight is
Re-Gear if you have fitted larger no-stock tires.

We can get into tongue weight if the tow vehicle's sagging in the rear.

Sorry it's not simpler to deal with, but manufacturers want you to believe their trailers weigh next to nothing, put no weight on the rear of your vehicle, and have no adverse effect on braking. Of course this is only true with an Adventure Trailer :wings:

huskyfargo

Adventurer
That's why I sold my JKU Rubicon and bought an LR3. I destroyed the tranny towing my trailer (maybe 1500# loaded).

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
3.8L JKs with auto-trannies don't tow well; the torque curve and trans can't find a happy zone.
Regearing can help but you have to be aggressive. I had 4.56s w/33s and that wasn't enough; I needed 4.88s (at least).

Owners with manual transmissions have less of a problem but still need the deeper gearing for the real world.

Supercharging (RIPP Mods) has mixed results. Hemis (AEV) are a pricey luxury...

PS --- I traded my JK for a Power Wagon so I could tow. The money outlay was about the same as installing a Hemi.

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
It is all about proper gearing ratio but more importantly, using a ProCal to set the proper shift timing with the transmission so that you aren't over pushing the transmission.
D

lbarcher

Adventurer
I've got an 09 rubicon unlimited with a 6 speed. We tow an R-Vision Cassette (1350lbs dry).
I haven't had any problems towing in our mountains but the speed limit in the parks is 90 km/h.
Highway performance isn't bad and I can hold 110km/h pretty easy.

Maybe altitude is the factor?

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Towing anything under 2k shouldn't be a problem for any Jeep. I only lose 1mpg when towing my lightweight and can maintain the speed limit going up the passes, 4.56 gearing and 33's helps a ton. But having an engine with better torque makes the biggest difference.

KEYS

I have a livin litevrv toy hauler 7x16 supposed to be 2300lbs. I havent weighed it but it feels light when you push it by hand. My stock 2008 auto unlimited rubicon tows it like its not there under 40mph. Once you get to highway speeds its horrible. After first trip of constant shifting betrween 2nd and 3rd just to hold 50-55 I got a superchips. Now it is much better. With no hills if it is not windy and it is not too hot I can put the cruise on 60 mph on 3rd and it will go over the overpasses wihtout shifting.

I think the problem is these thing are very tall, very square, and have very sharp edges. In desperation, I ordered airtabs today but do not have high hopes. I have a sheet metal shop at work so I may try to round out the top front face of the thing, kinda 5th wheel style. The other option I was contemplating is building a lightweight stitch and glue boat to cartop on the jeep.

I think 5.13 gears with small 35's like KM2 could bring up the rpms a little and make a huge difference but with a brand new set of oem rubicon tires I got cheap, and the motor consuming 1 quart every 1000 miles at 50,000 miles I don't think I'll get the chance to try.

Best fix, ls, or 2012.

geo

I feel your pain. I had an 08 automatic JKU Rubicon with a 2.5 inch lift, and I towed a 2500 lb trailer this summer with a family of 4 (soon to be 5). This best thing I did for towing was sell it an buy a truck. I hated to do it, but the reality was I went camping 8 times and offroading 0 (which was not what I wanted, but that is how things work out sometimes).

I installed a Superchips Flashpaq, ran the towing tune with 91 octane, and honestly it towed fine on the flat highway. I could easily travel at 100 km/hr at 2800 rpm with the overdrive turned off, and it was very stable. Any small hill or a good headwind though and it would drop to 3rd and go to 4800 rpm. This was fine on short trips close to the city, but we like to head to the mountains too, and this combination was just not going to work. I plan on getting back into a JKU as soon as I can while keeping the truck and trailer.

Good luck.

KEYS

I have an F250 for work. But for local beach camping trips 40-45mph, the JK is fine. The whole point of the further away trips is to get to semi good offroading areas. So I tow with the jeep even though it sucks.

I bought the trailer because the commute from the nicer hotels to the offroading was too long. Imagine 6 months of planing and dreaming, half a week off from work, 8 hour minimum one way drive with small kids, hotel, gas, tolls, a theme park. Finally next day is offroad day. 2 hours drive to offroad park. Half an hour into it, babies crying, wife has a headache.

The End! (except for the 8 hour drive back home the next day).

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
BTW, I had the Superchips Flashpaq also. It did the best on 91 octane tune with 93 octane fuel ----- but still couldn't hold 65 mph on the highway with the Conqueror.
The trans even overheated 3 times in cool weather on moderate inclines.

If I had bought a manual trans JKU, I might still have it.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: I have an '08 JKUR/auto/regeared/tow trailer/freeway/up trees/across canyons-

It stays locked in O/D, untill steep hills and tows at 16 mpg, it has power and immediate throttle response, now

There's nothing wrong with the 3.8L v6, just a little tweaking and it's a fine on-road/off-road powerplant-off-road, pretty well unbeatable !

Too bad people don't open their minds and not only smell the roses, but pay attention to reality !

--JIMBO

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
:sombrero: I have an '08 JKUR/auto/regeared/tow trailer/freeway/up trees/across canyons-

It stays locked in O/D, untill steep hills and tows at 16 mpg, it has power and immediate throttle response, now

There's nothing wrong with the 3.8L v6, just a little tweaking and it's a fine on-road/off-road powerplant-off-road, pretty well unbeatable !

Too bad people don't open their minds and not only smell the roses, but pay attention to reality !

--JIMBO
But you have to tell the whole story, Jim.
You've got REALLY deep gears, 34" (or less?) tires, and a trailer that weighs 1/3 of what Dendy's weighs and has almost no drag to speak of.
Your JK has also always had atypical fuel economy too. Nobody can use your experience as a model, just a hopeful target.

Jimbo also installed a big trans cooler to mitigate the overheating phenomenon.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: Thats everso true HD, but

My claims aren't very personal, or for my accolades, cause I'm no rocket sientist-

My claims are made to show what the 3.8L/auto in the jeep is capable of, without IMMEDIATELY screaming that the 07/11 jeep is a DOG, without power/mileage/capabilities-

Yes, my trailer is much lighter than most, but I'm talking about NORMAL DRIVING/ACTIVITIES-

You say that thats the reason you sold yours and bought the "big" ram--you never even tried to change, modify your JK so that it would do what you wanted it to--except install the wrong Diff. gears and improve the lighting--right ??

I won't argue with you cause I have a lotta respect for you, but sometimes, you just don't listen and you operate with blinders on !

Most of my formative years in the Sierras, were spent in DODGE 4x4s and they are the best, but the jeep has a different venue-

Personally, you're to big fora JK--shoulda been a JKUR, like mine--I'm never in a "wanna" situation !

I won't be surprised if you'll getta 2012/2013 jeep, cause the "Ram" is pretty BIG !!

Have a great day--JIMBO

huskyfargo

Adventurer
^^^^^
I didn't immediately scream that mine was a dog. I loved my JK and wanted to keep it, but it didn't make sense to keep dumping money into it and void the warranty to make it do something it should and claims to be capable of right off the lot. I dumped a good 15K into my JK before finally waking up and realizing that it's just not worth it to have to completely rebuild a brand new vehicle just to make it do a few simple tasks. Yes, they're incredibly capable vehicles...capable of driving slow and hauling absolutely nothing...unless you have deep pockets.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78