'09 Suzuki DL650 project bike

njtaco

Explorer
The $80 buys you the quick release feature on the SWM racks. You also need to buy the $20 adapter to use Givi luggage on the SWM rack, if you should choose to use Givi bags in the future. Whether it is worth it to you is up to you of course! Oh, the locks are additional too. $40, IIRC.

I went 'round and 'round trying to decide until I picked up a set of like-new Givi racks for a discount, then found some E21 bags for a discount. Not at all what I planned in my mind, but they will be fine for what I want to do until I find a deal on E35s or E41s. I figure the E21s hold about the same volume as a 20L jerry can, and that seems pretty roomy for weekend camping trips and grocery shopping (along with my top case).

My original plan was to use 20mm Ammo cans on removable SWM racks too because I wanted to be able to remove the cans at camp or if just riding around town. The Givi gear will do this for me just as easily, and I have less $$ in my setup (including shipping) than I would have spent on the SWM racks alone. Also, when I spoke with the Twisted Throttle rep at the bike show in NY he advised against the ammo cans due to their weight. At about 20lbs per can empty they don't leave much capacity when the rack is rated for something like 28 lbs per side. I was asking about the SWM racks on the Wee specifically.

I think the people I got the bags from may still have a Givi rack for sale. Let me know if you want their contact information. I don't know how much, but their prices on the other stuff was very reasonable. They are in California.

The $80 buys you the quick release feature on the SWM racks. You also need to buy the $20 adapter to use Givi luggage on the SWM rack, if you should choose to use Givi bags in the future. Whether it is worth it to you is up to you of course! Oh, the locks are additional too. $40, IIRC.

I went 'round and 'round trying to decide until I picked up a set of like-new Givi racks for a discount, then found some E21 bags for a discount. Not at all what I planned in my mind, but they will be fine for what I want to do until I find a deal on E35s or E41s. I figure the E21s hold about the same volume as a 20L jerry can, and that seems pretty roomy for weekend camping trips and grocery shopping (along with my top case).

My original plan was to use 20mm Ammo cans on removable SWM racks too because I wanted to be able to remove the cans at camp or if just riding around town. The Givi gear will do this for me just as easily, and I have less $$ in my setup (including shipping) than I would have spent on the SWM racks alone. Also, when I spoke with the Twisted Throttle rep at the bike show in NY he advised against the ammo cans due to their weight. At about 20lbs per can empty they don't leave much capacity when the rack is rated for something like 28 lbs per side. I was asking about the SWM racks on the Wee specifically.

I think the people I got the bags from may still have a Givi rack for sale. Let me know if you want their contact information. I don't know how much, but their prices on the other stuff was very reasonable. They are in California.

Crap, guess ammo cans are out.

And I figure the Pelican luggage from Caribou is ~$400, but if I do it myself from Caribou's kit, it's $200 for the kit and $200 for the cases, so I'm thinking it would just be best to buy the pre-kitted cases from Caribou.

:coffee:

dirtysouth

Adventurer
Crap, guess ammo cans are out.

And I figure the Pelican luggage from Caribou is ~$400, but if I do it myself from Caribou's kit, it's $200 for the kit and $200 for the cases, so I'm thinking it would just be best to buy the pre-kitted cases from Caribou.

:coffee:

I've run pelicans on various bikes and have always used Happy Trails mounting kits. They'll work on the Givi racks or other racks if you choose.

http://www.happy-trail.com/Happy-Trails Pannier Mount Kit.aspx

njtaco

Explorer
I WAS WRONG. Ok, that's over with. Now I'll tell you why.

I was under the impression you would have to cut the Givi racks to install a flat-backed case on them. THIS IS INCORRECT. The latching part I was concerned with actually bolts on with two allen head cap screws. They are covered with a plastic cap, so I didn't see them.

If you want to run Caribou, Pelican, Ammo cans or whatever it can be done without permanently altering the Givi racks. The Happy trails mounting kit is great for this, or make up your own.

Back to your regular programming...

njtaco

Explorer
BTW, on a budget a set of Givi racks with Seahorse cases from Fuerte might work. Just bolt them right to the rack, or use the Happy Trails kit.

If my math is right, the ones I linked to are about 28 litres.

dirtysouth

Adventurer
I WAS WRONG. Ok, that's over with. Now I'll tell you why.

I was under the impression you would have to cut the Givi racks to install a flat-backed case on them. THIS IS INCORRECT. The latching part I was concerned with actually bolts on with two allen head cap screws. They are covered with a plastic cap, so I didn't see them.

Lol! Yeah, I will admit that the first time that I used the Givi rack/Pelican case setup, I thought I was going to have to cut the nipples off the rack, but as you mentioned, they will come off with an allen wrench.

Small update-

Ammo cans have arrived
Givi Rack and SWM crash bars will come via UPS tomorrow
Rear stand and slider spools came in yesterday, spools already on
Wife and Daughter's helmets showed friday
Handlebar mount for my Garmin Legend Cx installed yesterday too

On order-
Tour Master Transition 2 Jacket
Tour Master Caliber Overpants
PVC bike cover
MotoComm F14 headset
Tire repair kit

Everything should be here by Tuesday except the Jacket which will be at my dealer sometime later in the week.

1mo, 1100mi...

Thinking I should have went with the SWM side racks... I'd really like to run pelicans, but it looks to be a PITA to mount those to my rack without some custom works. And frankly, I'm not as good as some when it comes to the user-fabbed mods. I'm scared as hell of mounting those ammo cans sitting beside my bike.

Headset got tested today on a 50mi run I did with the wife trailing. We talked over our FRS radios w/ my MotoComm headset, and the sound was fantastic, even at speeds less than 100mph... :victory:

Until we stopped to turn around... Somethign happened, not entirely sure. But the wife said I got steadily (and very quickly) quieter over her radio, then I puttered out altogether. I tested the unit when I got home, and it appears to be the mic. I have an email into MotoComm about warranty.

Farkles, farkles, farkles...

The spools on the back are fantastic. I have a stand that picks them up and holds the swingarm in the air. I did my chain at 650mi and it would have been a huge PITA to do it without the stand.

The Garmin Legend Cx I have works great, and the handlebar mount it sits on is nice and steady. Quick views show me where I am and how fast I am going (which is paramount through indian reservations where they cite you for 26/25mph zones).

I have a Spec-Ops Brand T.H.E. Pack that I have toted along with me for years (it's outlasted my Maxpedition and Camelbak packs). The great thing about that pack is the sides have two fastex buckles each, and they are perfect for a self-strap to my stock rack. I add bungees for assurance, but as long as I don't overload the pack with crap, all 4 straps fit, cinch down, and provide a streamline and stable luggage solution. The only real problem is I don't trust anyone to rip it off my bike when I run into a store. So I pull it if I go in anywhere that I won't have a view of the bike.

Tourmaster series is quality equipment (I don't have a lot of miles on them yet, can't speak to durability), but I have one major gripe about the jacket- The neck is super low and you get cold as hell riding down the highway. I really would prefer a mandarin collar, but I suppose I'll keep that in mind when I get another jacket down the road. The pants could use more pockets as well. Or at least through-slats that you can access your pants pockets underneath. I wish I had ordered a size larger than I did for the pants, because I wear a riggers belt and the big steel buckle on the front of my jeans makes for a tight fit with the pants. I have a 35" waist, so I wear a 36" pant and purchased a 38" overpant. Wish I had gone bigger.

At this point, I am undecided if I will-
Drill and mount these ammo cans on the Givi rack
Sell the Givi and purchase an SWM rack + pelicans
Absorb my losses, fork over the $$$ for Givi boxes, and run that setup for a while...

Edit- The wife wants to take a two week trip to Indiana to see her family this summer... The plan is to take the bike, M101CDN trailer, and her Xterra... She drives with the kids and trailer in tow, I ride. We will see if financially that is doable, but for now that is the general plan.

Last edited:

Maximus Ram

Expedition Leader
Small update-

Ammo cans have arrived
Givi Rack and SWM crash bars will come via UPS tomorrow
Rear stand and slider spools came in yesterday, spools already on
Wife and Daughter's helmets showed friday
Handlebar mount for my Garmin Legend Cx installed yesterday too

On order-
Tour Master Transition 2 Jacket
Tour Master Caliber Overpants
PVC bike cover
MotoComm F14 headset
Tire repair kit

Everything should be here by Tuesday except the Jacket which will be at my dealer sometime later in the week.

And where's the pics of all the farkel ...:coffee:

And where's the pics of all the farkel ...:coffee:

I know, I am terrible.

I will take my camera tomorrow and get a few on my way home from work.

Newest addition- The ammo cans attached themselves while I was out mowing the lawn today... Yes, I told my wife the mower was on the highest level setting... :victory:

And in honor of the No Seatbelt ticket I received from a jerk Stater (no really, he was a total jerk), I had this made up. :elkgrin:

Attachments

• 0_IMAG0003.jpg
    0_IMAG0003.jpg
    847.7 KB · Views: 62

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan