09 Tacoma

atavuss

Adventurer
Hi all, I currently have a 04 double cab TRD 4x4 and am thinking about giving the 04 to my wife while I score a 09 double cab TRD 4x4.
anything to look out for with this generation of 4x4 Tacomas? how has the composite beds been holding up? will I be able to mount a snug top bed cover (I want to put a fiberglass cover, not a shell). I have been pretty satisfied with the 04 after 75k of use.
the 09 does not seem any roomier than my 04 and the 4.0 v6 did not seem that much stronger than the 3.4 v6.
any real world gas mileage figures on the new gen 4.0 v6 with auto? the factory sticker says 16/20. I have been seeing sticker prices of high 20's, low 30's for the double cabs with dealers telling me I could get one for mid 20's, any real world prices that you were able to get yours for?
any other comments/advice on the new gen tacomas?
Thanks!

Applejack

Explorer
I have hauled large and small landscape rocks in the bed of mine along with gravel, dirt, and one large rock that probably weighed over a 1000 lbs. While my bed is good and scratched, everything is dent/crack free.
You need to spend more time in the new gen Taco's. They are by far less cramped than the previous gen. I'm 6'2'' and didn't care for the previous gen drivers leg room and still think it could be improved but, it's better.
As for power. Unless your 3.4 is supercharged, how can you not feel the power improvement? All the more evident if you tow anything. I will say that the engine requires liberal amounts of foot travel on the pedal to make things get going. Not RPM, just pedal travel. The rear end is still soft and get used to having and engine that "ticks", nothing is wrong with it, that's just the way it sounds.

Just Me

I've have a 09 Double Cab TRD OFF-Road + tow package (it has every option minus the JVC radio) for a month now. Based on 4 tank full's, I'm getting 16.2 MPG around town (100% stop and go). I made one trip up to Lake Tahoe and I got 19.1 MPG. The freeway trip was 65+MPH up the mountain and back, so I should get better MPH on a flat freeway trip.

I'm sure Snug Top bed covers utilizes the factory desk rails (the shells do) for mounting, so you shouldn't have issues. I've heard of a few beds cracking under extreme conditions, but Toyota replaced them under warranty.
I got my truck way under invoice because of the $1000 rebate I got last month. It seems Toyota want to sell Tacoma's, so it seems a right time to get a new truck.

Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (much harder crash tests then the Fed DOT tests) gave the 2009 Tacoma its top rating because of the now standard side airbags and traction control. I'm not a kid anymore so safety is important to me!

Also make sure you get the tow package if you get a new Tacoma. It comes with a engine oil cooler, 2nd Trans cooler, 130amp alternator, larger battery, and prewired for a trailer brake controller. I don't tow much but the extra coolers are useful too me.

“Do the new tacos require premium fuel?” No.

If you have any question let me know.

Don

PS, The factory backup camera in the tailgate (comes with the TRD package) is a big bonus.

Last edited:

SLOwag

Adventurer
the 09 does not seem any roomier than my 04 and the 4.0 v6 did not seem that much stronger than the 3.4 v6.
any real world gas mileage figures on the new gen 4.0 v6 with auto? the factory sticker says 16/20. I have been seeing sticker prices of high 20's, low 30's for the double cabs with dealers telling me I could get one for mid 20's, any real world prices that you were able to get yours for?
any other comments/advice on the new gen tacomas?

Like previous posts state, it's larger and noticeable. I bought mine in September and haven't put much time in my rig yet but just getting used to the external dimensions around town, it requires a bigger turning radius than my 2000 did. This will translate to less room on the trails....I'm not sure where you are in Central Ca, but if you're near the coast, you can go through my rig and drive it further than 'round the block.

I found that car brokers couldn't compete with a large dealership that was willing to deal. I went in one week before the end of the month and closed the deal on the very last day of the month for 32 out the door.

It seems like most options are sold as packages days, so keep that in mind. I would buy as many options as you can.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
I like that the new ones have traction control (ATRAC?) but not wild about side air bags. Do they have a switch to turn them off for sidehills like the 4Runners did/do?

I hope to buy a ‘05-up Taco for my wife within a couple years.

snip.......

Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (much harder crash tests then the Fed DOT tests) gave the 2009 Tacoma its top rating because of the now standard side airbags and traction control. I’m not a kid anymore so safety is important to me!

Also make sure you get the tow package if you get a new Tacoma. It comes with a engine oil cooler, 2nd Trans cooler, 130amp alternator, larger battery, and prewired for a trailer brake controller. I don’t tow much but the extra coolers are useful too me.

“Do the new tacos require premium fuel?” No.

If you have any question let me know.

Don

PS, The factory backup camera in the tailgate (comes with the TRD package) is a big bonus.

Applejack

Explorer
I've had mine on some pretty daring side hills and so far, no premature deployment.:wings: Maybe they're speed sensitive?

Just Me

"Do they have a switch to turn them off for sidehills like the 4Runners did/do?"

Yes, RSCA OFF button is right next to the DAC and VSC buttons. They are lower left by the mirror controls.

Also, You can turn all the traction control, skid control off by holding the VSC button in for 3sec... Then you can do 360s in the snow if you like.

Last edited:

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
That's is more control/selection than I have on my V8 4Runner.

"Do they have a switch to turn them off for sidehills like the 4Runners did/do?"

Yes, RSCA OFF button is right next to the DAC and VSC buttons. They are lower left by the mirror controls.

Also, You can turn all the traction control, skid control off by holding the VSC button in for 3sec... Then you can do 360s in the snow if you like.

Just Me

That's is more control/selection than I have on my V8 4Runner.

I guess Toyota listened to everyone that want more control.

Anyone Want a Button!

FullLoadButtons09Tacoma.jpg

A-TRAC09Tacoma.jpg

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
I like to buy NEW and maintain my rigs 'my way' from the first few miles, before they are abused with little regard for vehicle sympathy. Now I have more ammunition to buy a new Taco instead of a used one.

I like the buttons/control.

Gventure

Observer
price

For a double cab 09 TRD Off Road 4 dealers let me walk away when I wanted 27,500 out the door (including the $1500 rebate for the Southeast region). I had two quotes for 28,500 OTD and ended up getting 28,200 OTD - one dealer let me walk out the door after offering me 29,300 OTD.
G

Last edited:

Cackalak Han

Explorer
Hi all, I currently have a 04 double cab TRD 4x4 and am thinking about giving the 04 to my wife while I score a 09 double cab TRD 4x4.

Wow, and you can get away with that?? :Wow1: My wife needs to hang out with yours for a while. :D

I really like the new Taco's, but I still love my 01. I'll do as you're planning to, as far as keeping both trucks in the family. But it will be a slightly modified plan where the receiver of the new and receivee of the old are switched around.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears