1 Bored Clerk's DIY Camper

1 Bored Clerk

Explorer
It's certainly nicer and faster when it's a bit warm out! I have fast cure epoxy so it'll cure by itself down into the low 50's. An electric oil radiator heater and some tarps take care of the really cold nights. I'm hoping to get the major fiberglass/epoxy stuff done in October. Then I'd only be dealing with small amounts of epoxy for various mounting points for racks and L track and stuff like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rruff

Explorer
One thing about fast cure epoxy is that you will have more blush, so be sure to consider that.

I'm thinking of making a panel out of some foam and wood frame, with heat lamps attached, that I can suspend from the ceiling. One the layup is done, I'll drop it down and put some plastic sheet around the edges. Maybe.

1 Bored Clerk

Explorer
One thing about fast cure epoxy is that you will have more blush, so be sure to consider that.

I'm thinking of making a panel out of some foam and wood frame, with heat lamps attached, that I can suspend from the ceiling. One the layup is done, I'll drop it down and put some plastic sheet around the edges. Maybe.

Will do! I try to be really good about roughing and cleaning surfaces before any epoxy work or before any additional epoxy work on top of existing work. Whether or not I'm doing well enough, I don't know but we'll find out!

The heat lamp panel should work pretty well. Just don't set anything on fire!

rruff

Explorer
In case you didn't know, blush is something you need to wash off first. Water and a scrubber.

I'm using Ebond epoxy and I was told that the slow cure stuff will eventually cure fine in cool temperatures, it will just take forever.

1 Bored Clerk

Explorer
In case you didn't know, blush is something you need to wash off first. Water and a scrubber.

I'm using Ebond epoxy and I was told that the slow cure stuff will eventually cure fine in cool temperatures, it will just take forever.

I use denatured alcohol then sand then alcohol again. That's what I've been doing so far, anyway.

I haven't filled it in Oregon yet (mandatory for the attendant to pump your fuel). They let you pump your own fuel on motorcycles and most will let you pump your own fuel if you have a special/rare/really expensive car. So, I think they may let me do my own fuel because it's a PITA for them.

Besides camping, dirtbikes, and overlanding, one of my other hobbies is classic cars. In HS, I drove a 68 Mustang Coupe that I was resto-modding and would travel between Idaho Falls and Port Orchard (where I grew up) so that I could see family. When driving through Oregon, I hated that I wasn't "allowed" to pump my gas. In that car, the fuel would spray back out the fill spout if you tried pumping at too high of pressure. I told the attendant this info and he still insisted that he be the one to pump the fuel. I told him that if he spilled one drop, I wasn't paying for the fuel. After that, I got to pump it every time.

1 Bored Clerk

Explorer
Besides camping, dirtbikes, and overlanding, one of my other hobbies is classic cars. In HS, I drove a 68 Mustang Coupe that I was resto-modding and would travel between Idaho Falls and Port Orchard (where I grew up) so that I could see family. When driving through Oregon, I hated that I wasn't "allowed" to pump my gas. In that car, the fuel would spray back out the fill spout if you tried pumping at too high of pressure. I told the attendant this info and he still insisted that he be the one to pump the fuel. I told him that if he spilled one drop, I wasn't paying for the fuel. After that, I got to pump it every time.

My truck overfills too since I added the new fuel tank. I'm working on solutions. But, I'm hoping the awkward angle of the filler will be enough to allow me to pump my own. These new pumps are so on-off and high pressure. Filling my motorcycle is challenging without getting spits of fuel coming back out.

1 Bored Clerk

Explorer
Knocked out the raised portion of the roof this morning! Well, I roughed it out, anyway. Still, big progress for my motivation.

3d407aad45f6bc5616f6ab075b42c89f.jpg

08013de524304b5339b73848c2535395.jpg

f27d9086375b9d6cfb48f998f81849ab.jpg

1 Bored Clerk

Explorer
Added some epoxy fillets to the inside corners

4418d3cd82b8992c026dd97a68bfe532.jpg

ff5363fd9a231f7e232210d6f76715d6.jpg

I'll let this cure today/tonight then put it aside and start on the main camper box walls.

rruff

Explorer
Looking good! Might be best to do your layup over the fillets before they fully cure. Better chemical bond.

What rig did you use to make all those fancy cuts?

1 Bored Clerk

Explorer
Thanks! I did all the cuts on my tablesaw. I didn't want to thrash on my blade like that but it was the only way to do it accurately. I built a hillbilly setup and it worked great!

167532beadde1342ff80b06649d8c9bd.jpg

I plan on building a proper setup for these types of cuts but this worked so well, I'm second guessing that for sheet goods. Cutting taller pieces would make the clamps unusable though.

1 Bored Clerk

Explorer
Also, I've read a few builds where they only reinforce the outside edges with glass and leave the inside edges as epoxy fillets. Any thoughts on that? Should I be putting glass on both sides of the joint? It kind of makes sense to do it on both sides but I don't want to add more material than is necessary.

rruff

Explorer
I don't know why you wouldn't put glass on the inside. The joint will be weak without it. Maybe it wouldn't break, but I'm definitely going to when I put my panels together.

1 Bored Clerk

Explorer
I agree that it would be stronger. I just have a tendency to overbuild everything and end up with heavy stuff. I'm trying to avoid that scenario here. I want it to be plenty strong enough without going in to "overbuilt" territory. That said, I don't know which is which with this material. It's a moot point on the ceiling anyway, it's already cured farther than I'm comfortable glassing over due to rough spots. I'd want to sand it smooth before I glass over it so it doesn't finish out real ugly. Especially since it will be on the inside of the camper

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan