1 ton man fort

UHAULER

Explorer
Toyfamily, are you thinking of the picture of Weaver Lake ?

My bed/cushion setup was about $700 for the foam,fabric and labor. I supplied the plywood bases. The headliner is the same indoor/outdoor carpet that was used on the base for the bed. It was glued to some .200 plywood.

The walls are textured granite colored paint.

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
so no cabinets and all drawers...

If you have not, you should go read the back half of the 'Eco-roamer' build on here, Jay Shapiro's truck.

Check out the latches he used on his cabinet doors. They are wonderful. They sort of screw in; thus they lock shut really very nicely. It would be an easy swap for your existing handles, or addition to the handles.

Personally I prefer cabinets to drawers as a general rule, the only thing is that you have to be sure that you pay attention to a few things. For instance some form of lip across the shelf to hold things in a touch if you open them while on an angle etc.

Anyhow, if you want to go with something that will not cost as much to replace them.

Anyhow, still very excited to see your build.

Cheers

ToyFamily

Observer
If you have not, you should go read the back half of the 'Eco-roamer' build on here, Jay Shapiro's truck.

Check out the latches he used on his cabinet doors. They are wonderful. They sort of screw in; thus they lock shut really very nicely. It would be an easy swap for your existing handles, or addition to the handles.

Personally I prefer cabinets to drawers as a general rule, the only thing is that you have to be sure that you pay attention to a few things. For instance some form of lip across the shelf to hold things in a touch if you open them while on an angle etc.

Anyhow, if you want to go with something that will not cost as much to replace them.

Anyhow, still very excited to see your build.

Cheers

The thing I noticed after trying to run through snow patches, riding down rocky dirt roads is that all the stuff in the cabinet had fallen over and was a jumbled mess, if not already on the floor from when you opened the cabinet. The cabinets above the bed have been nice for jackets and clothes. I am thinking about a vertical pantry drawer like the build mentioned.

Being a metal fabricator and after the few trips I've taken on rough roads I decided that I am going to frame the counter bases with sq. metal tubing and add drawer faces....I was a little worried about all the flexing and having the cabinets fall apart. The thought was reaffirmed after I saw UHAULER's bed bases.

Nick

ToyFamily

Observer
getting the Dana 60 cleaned up.... and I was at a restaurant and got some possible inspiration of a wood/metal interior.

Nick

Attachments

• d60.jpg
    d60.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 102
  • kingpin.jpg
    kingpin.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 108
  • interior.jpg
    interior.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 105

BlueBomber

Adventurer
You dont want an ambulance unless you want to buy it new. They are true work trucks and will usually get used up before being put up for sale. I would think it would be easier and cheaper to put some ambulance parts onto your truck than to try and turn an ambulance into a camper.

ToyFamily

Observer
Just made a Home depot run. I got some insulation 1/4" birch and indoor/outdoor carpet for the walls and ceiling...Thanks for the idea UHAULER

Nick

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
I think the wood metal look will work well for a metal worker. Cool idea.

Have you looked into re-mounting your box so that it can allow for frame flex?

ToyFamily

Observer
I think the wood metal look will work well for a metal worker. Cool idea.

Have you looked into re-mounting your box so that it can allow for frame flex?

I also have a couple sheets of thin ga. stainless to make a counter and borders...I'll have to see how things hash out. I have not looked at the mounting of the box...but the wheels are turning about taking the measurements of this cab and chassis, the pros and cons of this build and designing a full alum expo box. I could either drop it on this chassis if the current box falls apart or sell this off and drop it on a diesel cab and chassis.... that's my problem :D , I never stop with projects in my head and improvements... which is why I love solidworks, I don't have to touch a single piece of material or spend $$ to design and see if I like where things are going.

I spent all day at the smog and DMV yesterday, I was able to register the Van from commercial to "motor vehicle" since it has a bed. So it has car plates and saved some $$ on reg. :D

I also have my solar controller from ebay on it's way finally
controller BZ MPPT250 25A 12V 250 W MPPT SOLAR CHARGE CONTROLLER

Nick

Nick

asteele

Observer
Cool truck!
Here's my converted ambulance. Drove it all the way to Panama and back. I'm currently in process of an interior rebuild.
0305DSCN0612.jpg

ToyFamily

Observer
I got the rear door frame welded up, I just need to figure out how I'm going to sheet it. And I have decided to change things a bit, I decided not to mount the spares to the door with how rough the terrain has been so far. I am going to make dual tire carriers hinged above and below the tail lights. I am tossing the idea of having them support the door when it's open as a deck.

I also decided to get some instant gratification and cut a hole in the wall behind the seats (not measuring..and in shorts, sandals and a T-shirt)...resulting in a big mess of wood/fiberglass and the decision to drill the rivets and remove the whole wall anyway, I think it'll end up cleaner and roomier.

Nick

Attachments

• van door.jpg
    van door.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 381

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dgollman