'10 Tundra CrewMax

zidaro

Explorer
been a bit since i jumped on this thread. Surprise- Truck still amazing!

haven't done much to it, but have begun the sound improvement phase. Have the non-JBL stereo with BT/steering wheel controls/xm. Nothing exciting, but the BT/steering wheel option is amazing and mandatory for any new vehicle imo.
Want better music, want less vehicle noise(washboard, tires, gravel kicking up, wind, whatever)

WAY too many products out there coming at you from every direction when it comes to Sound Dampening. After a lot of research online and asking stereo dudes, i chose Second Skin for the Dampening/sound insulator. No off gas/odor reported by anyone using it- #1 reason. Its not an asphalt based roofing material in an automotive package. This stuff actually works would be the 2nd. Then it came to price, they all cost $, SS wasn't the cheapest, but has a great reputation in the industry and the products seem less complicated to use than some others out there.
http://store.secondskinaudio.com/why-second-skin/

pulled the rear panel and installed SecondSkin Damplifier Pro sound/vibration deadener. Easy to install- clean surface with Denatured Alcohol, peel off the backing, put it on and press it down good with a roller.

DSC_1144_zpshptnzfpz.jpg

put a little on the window cover panel

DSC_1142_zpsciadkei5.jpg

Second Skin Luxury LinerPro MLV Sound Barrier. Heavy sound absorption. Like a big rubber floor mat. drapes over a panel or lies on floor, i attached it with industrial velcro.
U can see a small piece of square tubing painted black in lower Rt. corner. fabbed it up to simple blot in with existing unused threaded attach points. Will use it to secure a fire extinguisher thru the plastic panel.

DSC_1146_zpscemgi6ym.jpg

Rear panel back on, ABC extinguisher mounted with a quick fist. JL Audio Stealthbox mounted securely too, would have to destroy the box to move it without removing all the hardware.
This basic Dry Chemical fire extinguisher is my camp/wood/other peoples problem extinguisher. I also carry a Halotron Halguard H3R liquified gas "clean agent" extinguisher for my rig (or people i like :) ) only- it is safe on electrical and good for all other type fire, and most importantly it is clean with no residue. GET ONE
http://www.h3rperformance.com/hg250c.htm

DSC_1147_zpsi59e72ou.jpg

Only finished the rear so far, but it is already amazing the difference in outside noise when driving. Cant wait to get the rest dampened, then move on to sound upgrades.

Last edited:

SD_Beak

Trying to copy you.

I know you posted this a long time ago, but this is exactly what I am considering putting together. I joined the forum just to contact you.

Your post is great, thank you. My main question is: the Tundra has a 5-1/2' bed but most of the pop up campers are built for the 6-1/2' bed. Did you have any issues with the overhang? Excessive weight far back? Any advice you can provide as I set mine up would be great.

zidaro

Explorer
I know you posted this a long time ago, but this is exactly what I am considering putting together. I joined the forum just to contact you.

Your post is great, thank you. My main question is: the Tundra has a 5-1/2' bed but most of the pop up campers are built for the 6-1/2' bed. Did you have any issues with the overhang? Excessive weight far back? Any advice you can provide as I set mine up would be great.

sorry I'm such a slacker in responding!

i carry the camper with the tailgate down. that gives about 8" of gate exposed as a step if you like. i made a small porch that is attached to the bottom of the camper to step out onto. As far as overhang issues- none, unless you backup into something.
Wt. is a concern with a camper for any 1/2ton truck. Even the 4WCamper can be loaded down with gear and ice chests/stoves/camp stuff to exceed your trucks wt. limits. I am always in excess and have never had an issue b/c of it. You have to be aware and adjust your driving style to accommodate your load.

Happy trails! Lets see that setup

bkg

Explorer
Only finished the rear so far, but it is already amazing the difference in outside noise when driving. Cant wait to get the rest dampened, then move on to sound upgrades.

The envy I have that your rear seat slides/reclines and offers you storage behind. Can't believe they killed it in the 14+ models.

Last edited:

zidaro

Explorer
you have a dent in your tailgate... :p

Damn, you can see that? LOL!

THAT would be the one thing to be cautious of with the Northstar on the back. Backing your trailer into a perpendicular spot after a late night of driving back from a wheeling trip, with your tailgate down. DOH! atleast it still latches, and i didn't damage the camper or trailer.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Wt. is a concern with a camper for any 1/2ton truck. Even the 4WCamper can be loaded down with gear and ice chests/stoves/camp stuff to exceed your trucks wt. limits. I am always in excess and have never had an issue b/c of it. You have to be aware and adjust your driving style to accommodate your load.

Well stated. My Raven FWC was loaded with options, heavy, and so is the Tundra... The truck handled amazingly well with that load, which was well over the GVWR.

daveyboy

Adventurer
i carry the camper with the tailgate down. that gives about 8" of gate exposed as a step if you like. i made a small porch that is attached to the bottom of the camper to step out onto. As far as overhang issues- none, unless you backup into something.

How do you access/plan to access your spare tire if you have a flat?

zidaro

Explorer
Some of the recent travels. She gets used quite a bit. Beach camping, Ca. high deserts galore, and of course living in the Sierras.

High desert outside Randsburg area
IMG_3254_zpsz7y9w0id.jpg

San Elijo N. Co. SanDiego beach camping
IMG_3256_zps1czbohab.jpg

A stopover night at Fossil Falls, E Sierras. Cool hiking here.
IMG_3281_zpsbd2iu0ij.jpg

Alabama Hills! Amazing camping, climbing, and hiking surrounded by the most amazing section of the Sierras. Get there, we go regularly to enjoy.
IMG_3305_zpszmkt5c2p.jpg

Always headed to remote Saline Valley for good times.
IMG_3333_zpsmubvgdrt.jpg

IMG_3379_zpsb4ejr7o3.jpg

Spring is at our toes, and Summer approaches. Cant wait for the journeys to come. Enjoy life

ragnar

airbag mount install

Thanks for the great build thread and the link to purchase the airbag brackets. I just purchased the same brackets, but I'm trying to determine the best way to remove the rivets and install the brackets - did you use a reciprocating saw, grinder, etc. to cut them off or did you drill out the rivets (or some combination of both)?

Thanks again!

Edit - nevermind - i attacked the rivet heads with a plasma torch, then ground them flat, then drove out the remaining rivet with a 1/2" x 8" center punch.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle