100 Series Buying advice... please :)

bbranch

Currently looking at two vehicles that mostly bookend my budget. Biggest purchasing concern is value and reliability once purchased.
One is on a dealer's wholesale lot. A '99 with 215k miles, several cosmetic issues (sunroof doesn't open by sliding or tilt, steering wheel has leather on top worn completely off and it's rolling and unraveling from there, broken cubby latches in the center between seats, minor dings and scratches all over, etc). No known service history. Did seem to drive OK, nice ride, no brake squeal or shimmy. Started fine, didn't see any smoke, etc. Asking just under $8k, I would offer $5-6k I think. If I was to go this route. Which would be a great entry price into the LC community. I am generally a capable backyard mechanic and the cosmetic issues don't bother me that much...
The other is a private party. An '06 with 136k miles, all service records, including oil changes. timing belt, water pump and alternator replaced. Haven't seen it in person as its ~500 miles away, meaning a fly and drive it it checks out... Asking price $23k

Thoughts? Advice?
Also, I'm not really in a hurry to buy despite the bug eating at me. I have several other vehicles and need another like I need a hole in my head. Besides my economical commuters I own an F350 Crew Cab Dually 4x4. Why do I need an LC when I have that? Well, it's too big for some of the trails I would like to go on, and it's a pain in the butt to park it anywhere. But I need it for hauling the camper and horse trailer for the times we take horses. (I could see the LC taking hauler duty for day trips and a smaller horse trailer though)

Thanks in Advance! :)

-Brett

hks3sgte

César Gómez
The 2006 model is more refined than the 1999.

The 1999 that you saw sounds like it was someone's beater. I wouldn't buy it. You can find a clean 98-2002 for not much more than that.

bbranch

I've done enough research to know that the '99 has the weakest front diff of the 100 series and the 2006 will have the most powerful engine and the 5 spd transmission (all of which make it much more desirable). What I don't know is how much that translates to actual capability (any differences in fuel efficiency, real track-ability, hauling capability, etc.)
I agree the '99 hasn't been as loved as it should have been. And it's worse in the dealers wholesale lot. The rear seats have been sitting without being pushed forward to where they lock in properly, the floor mat for the second row is in backwards, it's just sad. But, while you say I can find another at that price, I haven't seen any (yet. just starting to look though, so I guess the council there is patience).

Chris Boyd

Explorer
I have both a 99 and the 06. The both have their own merits. I like the non-integrated climate control of the 99. I like the power and breaking on the '06.

The price on both is a tad high based on what you describe here. I'd think $20-21k on the 06 unless it is really cosmetically and mechanically sound with paperwork.

I pull my double horse trailer with the '06. Don't think i would with the '99. Power and breaking are significantly better on the '06.

fcbbe5e69fc741cb7fed417644f9e7e4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smithytailor

*I just bought a 98 LC and have only been researching vehicle related topics for several months (I'm a computer/electronics guy)* If you are looking for reliability then you want maintenance. The vehicle should last forever with the correct maintenance. Maybe the diff lock on the 99 would be better depending on what you want to do, but so far I haven't used my diff lock. The > 99 LC's are going to be better on snow (and mud?) (I think that's how the difference in the differential technology translates). If you are going to be upgrading the differential in the front anyway, you probably don't have a problem doing the back and in that case the later model will be better. Maybe get a quality PPI on the 99 and see how you feel? If you can get it super cheap and it craps out on you, you can get several of them for the same price as the 06.

Last edited:

jhawk

Adventurer
I grabbed an 04 with 119,000 for a bit over 18,000 in Nov. The truck was in almost perfect shape, but from a dealer with few records.

The question is how long do you stick with trucks, and are you going to beat the **** out of it.

If it's a year or two, and you're going to beat it up, go with the 99.

If you're looking to keep it farther out than that look at the 06. That truck maintained has another 200,000 miles to give you at the least.

Performance wise the difference will be at the extremes. For all intents and purposes they'll perform the same.

Jim

ppdd

With the others here. My squeaky clean '02 had 145K and an awesome maintenance history for $14K, bought from a mod over on ih8mud. I could have spent $3K less on a same year/mile truck, but for something this age I'd rather have one that was dealer serviced and owned by an enthusiast who didn't abuse it. $3K is just one or two significant service incidents...

It replaced an '01 LX470 with 95K that I got for $9,500 a few months earlier, then discovered the frame was totally rusted out under the belly pan where the A/C drips on the sway bar mount. Even taking a $1500 loss on it, I'm going to come out ahead on maintenance and FAR ahead on headaches.

If you're going to keep it for years to come, I'd pay a premium for one with the best possible maintenance history and miles in that sweet spot from 100K-150K. If it's in great shape at 150K, all you'll have to do is keep up with things as they break and the major preventative maintenance stuff (which isn't too awful on these trucks). It should be easy enough to push on to 250-300K miles without too much fuss if you're starting at a good baseline.

Mrknowitall

Adventurer
My bother had a 99- even with the 4speed and w/o the VVT motor, it had plenty of pull for a car hauler. The rear locker is definitely nice. That said, I would stay clear of that 99 you're looking at- should be able to find some better private party ones.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears